Get Out The Big Pots
If quantity cooking was as simple as multiplication life would be easier all around. However, as anyone put in the place of converting a recipe for two into something that will feed the whole family reunion or a cafeteria of hungry kids will know -- life is not that simple.
Holiday/ Turkey Meal Help
Community Feasts; an Introduction
Shopping list and quantities for large turkey dinners- 30 or 300
Turkey and Chicken: Yield Tables
How to carve a roast turkey at the table
How to cut up many raw turkeys for faster roasting: plus TEMP and ROASTING TIPS
Ellen's Better Green Bean Casserole for 60
25,000 for dinner; Raul Jimenez Thanksgiving
OAMC Freezable Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
Lowering the Fats and Carbs in Your Thanksgiving Feast
The Gravy Pages: Gallons of Gravy
Safely Storing and Reheating Turkey and Gravy OR Ham
Traditional Frozen Fruit Salad and other Fruit Salads
and don't miss Ellen's Kitchen Freezable Holdable Mashed Potatoes, and Crockpot Cranberry Conserve.
Corn Side Dishes for 10, 50, or 100. Souffle, green chili, succotash, fried corn
Fresh Country Green Beans for 50 or 100.
Holiday Vegetables for 100; Green Bean variations, peas, cauliflower, pearl onions, brussel sprouts, spinach and more! Cream sauces and serving/ reheating tips.
new for 2012 Yam Casseroles- Ruth Chris-style pecan traditional and spicy Yummy Yams.
Prime Rib and Beef Roasting Tips and Cooking Tables
How to Estimate and Set up Buffet Tables
- Ellen's Tested Quantity Recipes
- Cold Champagne/ Wine buffet reception for 25 A buying guide.
- Chai spice tea Make your own quart of chai concentrate at a fraction of the cost of store-bought. Caffeine-free variation, too.
- Kung Fu Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
- Jamilla's Gazpacho An icy summer garden soup.
- Herb Teas Six different herb blends for aches, pains, and just plain tasty drinking.
- Great Crockpot Chutney Summer or winter, with abundant harvest or canned fruits, you can make a terrific condiment for your curry or roast.
- Crockpot Cranberry Relish If it's poultry or tofu roast you are preparing, try this autumn favorite.
- Sweet Brown Pickle (Branston Pickle) A crunchy, spicy vegetable pickle dresses up a plain sandwich or any cheese plate.
- Biscotti Baking Binge and a Collection of Biscotti-internet recipes and history
- Meatballs, pasta and trimmings for 25 people. Add your own favorite sauce recipe. Whether you go Italian or Swedish, everybody can enjoy this easy meal.
- Easy souffle for 25 people The original used canned soup, so is not for the meticulous. This adaptation is easy and untemperamental, using up lots of chopped cooked vegetables. It is a great hit with the diners.
- Baked macaroni and cheese for many with a quick and simple cheese sauce.
- Classic Baked Mac and CheeseThe rich golden, crunchy-topped dish of our dreams and memories.
- Fast baked apples have traditional flavor, but are practical for a group.
- Rice or tapioca custard pudding Nourishing dessert, good for breakfast, too.
- Ellen's Really good bread pudding
- Zoe's Hummus: 60 servings
- Rich Baked Oatmeal for 50 is an overnight recipe for a delicious, protein-fortified breakfast.
- Freezer or Crockpot Lasagna beef, chicken or meatless variations, this recipe uses uncooked lasagna noodles.
- Freezable, holdable Mashed Potatoes for 25 With this unique recipe, top a frozen shepards' pie, delight a Thanksgiving crowd, or serve with the upside down chickens below.
- Roast Chicken Melee when chickens are on sale, roast six at a time! 24 servings, plus the BEST chicken soup.
- 24 Gardenburgers a clone recipe and a higher nutrition adaptation. These freeze very conveniently.
- Baked Yellow Squash Casserole for 24 as served all over the South and in a famous Southern Diner. Freezes beautifully for (OAMC) once a month cooking.
- Squash and Pasta Bake for 24 when you need a serious side dish or a good vegetarian main dish.
- Freezing precooked meat bases allows for quick preparation of large meals. Lower cholesterol in ground beef dishes!
- Cocoa and Rich Hot Chocolate Drinks for winter mornings and cookie feasts.
- Buttermilk Angel Biscuits Easy, tender, versatile; biscuits, dumplings, flatbread and much more. Refrigerate until needed.
- Freezable Crusts and Apple Filling for 10 pies new
- Buttermilk Bran muffins new Make 4 dozen at once or refrigerate the batter up to 6 weeks; variations with REAL bran instead of expensive bran cereals- less sugar, more fruit!
- Great Whole Grain Pancake Mix Homemade Deluxe Multigrain Buttermilk Batch Pancake and Waffle Mix Recipe.
Stacky Uppy, Stacki Uppi,
- Lowfat freezable crockpot refried beans
- Big Beefy Tomato Soups and Variations
Deluxe Classic Sausage Gravy for 200
- Make Ahead Entrees
Freeze in batches, use for family feasts or wedding dinners.
- Wedding Chicken: Freezable Orange Dijon Chicken
- Veal or Chicken Marsala with tomatoes and mushrooms for 100
- Thrifty Entrees for 50-100
Great for free food events, these are tasty but inexpensive dishes- family or camp food, not wedding reception food.
- Spaghetti Casserole, Enchiladas, Chili, Lasagna, Freezer Meatballs
- Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya, Fried Beef Liver, Baked Swiss Steak
- Chicken and Rice
- Sloppy Joes and Loose Meat Sandwiches
- Side dishes for 50-100- salads, rice, veggies
- Veggies and Other Side Dishes for 100
- Slaws, macaroni and potato salads 100 servings at a time
- An assortment of 100 person rice dishes for sides or entrees.
- Thrifty Rice Side Dishes
- Beans For 100 Baked Beans, the Deacons' Lima Beans, Borracho Beans
- Slaws, macaroni and lots of different potato salads 100 servings at a time
- Cole Slaw Tips and More Quantity Recipes
- Professional Recipes for 50-100
Here are some flavor-improved basic food service recipes which will help you learn to move back and forth between weights and the more traditional measures.
- Baked French Toast Lots of breakfast, no frying; a basic recipe. Requires overnight refrigeration before baking.
- topping recipe added Low Fat Oatmeal Muffin Squares One secret to quantity cooking is to translate a favorite recipe to an easier-to-prepare form. A recipe for six muffins is great baked in a 10" pie pan and cut into wedges. A recipe for 50 muffins can make two great pans of breakfast squares.
- Vegetable Lasagna Basic quantities: one noodle per person, and go on from there.
- Turkey or Tofu Rotini with Cheese A simple, kid-pleasing comfort food with a vegetarian variation.
- Broccoli or Carrot Salad
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Peanut Butter Glaze for the peanut butter bars!
- Indian Pudding Cornmeal and molasses or honey, slowbaked into an exceptional dessert.
- Spoonbread A light, tasty cornmeal souffle, perfect for a vegetable plate or Sunday dinner.
- Southern Dressing or Stuffing Enriched with bell pepper, hard-cooked eggs and golden seasoning vegetables, this makes a satisfying and delectable dish. With a great gravy, it can be a fine main dish for a luncheon.
- Southwestern Breakfast Bake A Southwestern flavor in a quiche-like filling with a crispy potato crust, for breakfast, brunch or lunch.
- Quantity Cooking For Groups and Occasions- Links
- Access through the Armed Forces Quartermaster service Recipe Search offers a search device for over 1300 standardized recipes for 100 people. There is also a list of all the recipe and guideline titles includes a complete introduction to quantity cooking equipment, recipes, and techniques. You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in for your browser to use the recipes at the Armed Forces site.
- Volumes for pans, cake pan sizes and many other how to's on pan measurements.
- Food yields; pounds to cups and back.
- Budgeting and Planning for Large Groups and Events
- The BIG Question? Do you REALLY want to cook for 100-200-300? Thinking about Self-catering your wedding? Or running any really big food event? Read this first!
Quantities to serve 100: Entrees, salads, vegetables, sandwiches, starches and grains.
- Salad Bars for 100; an article on planning and tables for various items.
- Beverages and miscellaneous for 100
- Individual Items Needed for 25 servings Remember "25 servings" feeds about 20 people!
- A few notes on Budgeting costs and Estimating Weekly Food for Large Groups When it is a long term project and not a party, you need a different quantities and a different approach!
- From the Plan to the Pan and on to the table. Cooking up your big party. In progress.
- Sunny Side UP! Planning breakfast for 100
- I love BRUNCH for 100- a complete plan. Cheesy potatoes, Amazing maple date strata and more.
- Dessert planning tables and cake layer portion plans.
- a LOT OF CHILI also cornbread, horse radish pickles, and chat.
Spaghetti, lotsa pasta
- Large BBQ's, picnics, and brisket, with entree planning and grilling info and quantities for BBQ, Lazy-Q and even Pseudo-Q (oven-based, BBQ "style").
- TexMex Fiesta-Fiesta Taco Fiesta, Spanish Rice, Spinach Enchiladas, Creamy Bean Burritos and other popular items for 100 or more.
- Fajitas for Four or a hundred Quantity guide, recipes, menus, cooking tips
- Baked Potato Bar for 100- a worksheet for toppings and basic potato-baking directions. How to cook and hold.
- Tips and guidelines for setting up self service Food Bars and buffets
- Quantities for
Appetizers, cheese and party trays for many
- How to prepare large Vegetable trays and salads
- Deviled Eggs, Hot Wings and other appetizers for large gatherings
- Fruit platters and fruit salads for your party
- Tea in the afternoon history of tea, with how to make tea for your party.
- Tea sandwiches; all kinds
- Picnics and Big Sandwich events planning guide, bulk recipes and quantity tables.
- Chocolate Fountains Set up, clean up, cautions, and quantities.
- Punches and Party Drinks A few of my creations.
- Ice Cream Socials, Affogato and Sundae Bars A dessert reception is a lovely after-wedding event or party. Here's how.
- More Recipes for 50-100
- Salads that Hold Moroccan Couscous Salad, Next Day Many Layer Salad, Greek Salad for 100, new for 2009 Ellen's Kitchen Revamped Asian Noodle Salad
- Baked Desserts and Plain Cakes Cheesy Apple Crisp, Yellow Cake from scratch with Brown sugar frosting, Date Bars or B'Nana Custard Bars, Rozky- Traditional Slovak Raisin Pastries
- Quantity Cooking In The Home Kitchen
- Equipping a Kitchen for Quantity/ Group Cooking
- Hints for scaling or adapting family recipes for larger groups.
- Cold storage of quantity cooking at home
- Guide to freezing any vegetable from the University of Florida Extension. Links to other freezing and food safety information.
Quantity cooking and OAMC: two variations on the same theme. Once a month cooking notes and OAMC links- a work in progress
- Once A Month Cooking (OAMC), Freezer Cooking or Megacooking
- Ellen's Kitchen OAMC Recipe Index and links.
- The OAMC Novice read this first, before you start OAMC.
- Freezing Casseroles for OAMC with Pan Exchange Table What you need to know to freeze- and reheat- your own recipes successfully.
- Freeze these potatoes! Heard you can't freeze potatoes? Try freezable Hashbrown Breakfast and other potato tricks.
- An OAMC Plan for a 10 person soy vegetarian household new with shopping list, prep, and recipes.
- Beef chunk and ground beef preps for OAMC cooking.
- OAMC for Singles and Pairs new OAMC for singles and pairs improves nutrition, increases variety, reduces food costs for small households, too.
- Coming in March, breakfast burritos, quiches, muffins and other choices. Your freezer is healthier and cheaper than any drive in window!
- Freezable Burritos
- Entree Exchange Club Freeze it, exchange it or throw a big party; once you learn quantity cooking you have a lot of options.
- OAMC Techniques and Tips Some spices and flavoring don't freeze well. Look here for wrapping tips and other hints for OAMC.
- Help translating cups to pounds for your shopping list