See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Quantity Chili Cooking
Bob Pursell
lovetofly@ccaviation.com
04/24/02
I need to make 5 gallons of chili for our company chili cookoff. I have only made small family quantities. How do I do it? Please help - event is May 4, 2002.
ellen

04/28/02
Got your email also, and have emailed separately. You will have a great time, so many choices! You will be amazed how long it takes to brown that many onions/ that much meat.

Remember, chop the meat, no grinding, grinding BAD! Get one step ahead with thin-sliced round or chuck steaks.

For some general good advice check here:
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/chili/uncle_dirty_dave.html
But use fresh garlic, not garlic powder-

Let us know what you decided! Ellen

shana
simons@cybernet1.com
10/17/02
Help!!! I have a large harvest party coming up, and I need a large scale recipe for vegetarian chili and cornbread. Can you help?
ellen
ellenskitchen2017@gmail.com
10/19/02
I think you might like the Kung Fu chili from the recipe box, it has always been very popular:
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/stews1.html#kungfu. The recipe as posted makes 10 good servings, and can be multiplied almost endlessly-

Keep on cooking- Ellen

Wendy McCuiston
wendy.mccuiston@comalisd.org
12/10/02
Need quantities for chili for 200.
ellen
12/10/02
Hi, Wendy,

Depends somewhat on whether you are serving bowls, whether it has beans or not, and also what else is offered- if you serve rice and tortillas with it, you use less chili. But I allow a minimum of 1 1/2 cups per serving, (I use a 12 ounce bowl) and I allow 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 servings per person- lesser amount if they are older or mostly women, larger amount if they are teens, mostly men, or watching football.

So fo 200 chili-eaters, you want 250-300 servings. Say 60 pounds chopped beef to start.

Side dishes of grated cheese and onion, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, pinto beans if the chili is beanless, hot sauce, all very nice with the dish.

Enjoy! Ellen

Carol Cutchin
randy44c@earthlink.net
12/14/02
having church fundraiser. Need chilirecipe to make 300 quarts.
ellen
12/22/02
Eeek. Divide this up into batches, even if you could cook that much at once, there is no way to safely chill it all fast enough once cooked. You have to spread it into a layer 2 inches thick- no more than 3- to cool down.

Chili with meat and beans, you will need about 300 pounds of meat. Email me at the address on the bottom of the paage, with your informaation on what kind of chili, and so forth. Ellen

Terry Lansdell
tlansdell@centurytel.net
02/20/03
Need just a good ol' chili recipe.

Thank You.
Kristin Hose
kmhose@pacbell.net
03/18/03
Hi, I'm trying to estimate how much chili I need to make for a 3 Day Church Festival.
Could you please help me.

Thank you.

ellen

03/26/03
You have to figure out how many servings you want. Then read to safety precautions for large batches above.

Allow 1 1/2 cups chili per adult size serving.

1 pound of ground meat is 2 cups cooked, which will make 4 cups meaty chili.

Looks like it is time to make a page for big batch chili.

Ellen

leslie heuertz
hrtztlk@hotmail.com
10/07/03
I need a recipe for a fundraising chili feed to serve about 400-500 people. Please help.
Darcy
valgraph@frontiernet.net
10/21/03
Help! (I know everyone says that!) I need to make a large electric roaster of Chili. Where do I start? Take a regular recipie and times it by 3 or 4? Thanks!
Carol
1buccaneer@cox.net
11/02/03
I need a good "no bean" chili recipe that will make 4 gallons.
valerie
valortech@mchsi.com
11/09/03
I need a recipe for chili that will feed 200 people can you help me
Susan
streeves1@hotmail.com
11/12/03
I need a recipe for about 100 servings of chili
dwcirey
sdirey65@yahoo.com
11/23/03
Help! I need a recipe for a chili dinner that I am organizing for a school fundraiser . Time is running short...the dinner is 12/4/03. Please send me a recipe to feed around 400 give or take.
MCIHELLE
MBUR570@AOL.COM
12/09/03
i need a recipe for chili to feed 100
Heather
hquick@shaw.ca
01/05/04
I need a chile recipe to feed 80 people, with chile one day, and enough left over for chile/taco salad the next day.
Lois
lois_gol@msn.com
01/12/04
I need a chili recipe that will feed 100 people thank you.
Dale
cschmid@swbell.net
02/03/04
Need a chili recipe that will feed 100 People
thanks
Angela
abclonts@hotmail.com
02/07/04
I need to send some cooked chili in the mail to my son in college. How do I safely do that? Should I freeze it in a container first, freezer bag, or food saver bag, etc.? Thanks!
Jeff
newcojeff@aol.com
02/08/04
Quantity Chili Cooking 150
I'm cooking a chili recipe for 150 people that will have beef and beans with tmoato sauce. I'm guessing 20 to 25-lbs of hamberger but I have no idea on beans. How many gallons of chili should this come to? I dont want to make too much or not enough... I have to do this by this Friday. Thanks.. Jeff
Kim
pkimberli1@aol.com
02/09/04
I am looking for a chili recipe to feed 300 to 400 people.
Syd
sseltzer0926@rogers.com
02/17/04
please help i need a veterian chili recipe using caned beans for 300 people can you help
Thank you
Nancy
larrycar@tca.net
04/25/04
I don't know if you can help me or tell me where to go for help but I'm need to know how much brisket,potato salad,beans and cole slaw it would take to feed 300 people. Thanks
ellen

04/26/04
For vegetarian chili, do a search on this site for Kung Fu Chili. I's yummy.

Quantity chiuli cooks, please go to the new chili planning page, a LOTTA Chili, on the +Big Pots Page.

BBQ and brisket has its own new planning page too, aalso on the Big Pots page.

PLEASE READ THE FOOD SAFETY PAGE ALSO!

Eat good.

vikki
hohman2@hotmail.com
06/06/04
i need to know how much brisket to buy for 200 people. i know it shrinks so how will i need to start with?
ellen

06/08/04
The BBQ and Brisket page and the "serves 100" list on the big pots section will answer your questions exactly. Good luck. Ellen
Dixie

07/31/04
Cooking Pinto Beans for 250 people
We are having a fund raiser for our Volunteer Fire Dept. in Oct. and it is a Bean & Cornbread meal. I want to use the electric roaster to cook the beans, but I don't know how many beans I need, how much water to use, how long to cook them and what temperature to use.
ellen

08/01/04
Please read the bean faqs. See the quantities to serve 100 for helo with quantities. You can make ahead and freeze, but thaw overnight in the refrigerator gefore reheating.

You wiil need more than one roaster, they only hold a little over 4 gallons, which is about 50 people, and you can't reheat beans fast or they burn. You CAN keep them hot covered in a regular over and refill your roaster fron there.

I suggest you cook one roaster vegetarian with bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc.

Soak the beans before cooking and drain that water off- less gas.

brenda
imwangi11@yahoo.com
08/07/04
thanksgiving dinner for 200 people
i need a thanksgiving recipe to feed 200 for my school dinner.Entree, main course including turkey and desert.
Faye Brock
bfbrock@moultriega.net
09/27/04
I need a good chili recipe that will feed 200 ladies.
Thanks
Syd Seltzer
sseltzer0926@rogers.com
12/03/04
hello i need the recipe for a meatless chili for approxemately 350 people other foods will be served your help would be appreciated
ellen

12/03/04
Do PLEASE look at the chili page in the big pots section for your quantities and recipes, plus suggestions about sides, etc. There is a really good vegetarian recipe listed as Kung Fu chili in the Recipe Box section.
ellen

12/03/04
Also a reminder about meatless chili- you can use TVP in place of hamburger in any chili recipe.
Sue
Evalentine@neo.rr.com
12/06/04
I need a meaty chili recipe to serve 200 people
Rosemarie Miller
rosemariemiller67@hotmail.com
01/04/05
I need a recipe for chili, without beans, for approximately 275 people. Can you help me?
ellen

01/04/05
Press the "chili" button on the top left of this page to get started, and use the "BBQ" and "serve 100" buttons to go further.
Katrina
02/14/05
I need to know what size servings to serve in, on your 100 people chili??? Is that for a 16 ounces bowl, or a 12 ounces bowl or what??? Our luncheon is tomorrow and I need to buy the bowls tonight. Please let me know as soon as possible. I followed the vegetarian chili and added 15 pounds of beef to it. Thanks!
ellen

02/15/05
I use a 12 ounce bowl- ellen
Steph
crazydancer_7@hotmail.com
02/22/05
I need a chili recipe for 300 people ASAP! We will be serving on February 72!!!
ellen

02/23/05
Please click the chili button at the top of the page and make the recipe for 100 three times.
nettie
nettie-david@shaw.ca
04/19/05
Chili recipe fpr 50 people , all adults.

Thank You

ellen

04/21/05
If you click the chili button above, you will find MANY choice. For something a little different, tyr Cincinnati chili.
Lee
Leemdee@aol.com
05/12/05
Quantity to feed 150 people
Hi. I'm planning on catering my own wedding reception, and have a menu planned, but don't know how much I'll need for all of my guests. I'm having some of the things you have on your list for 100. How much more beef and chicken, for instance would I need to add? Thanks for your help.
Lee
Shannon
smashin@telusplanet.net
05/14/05
Hi, I am planning a surprise birthday party, and will be making beef on a bun, for 100 people. Also potatoe, coleslaw, and vegetable marinade salads. Would 5 gallons of each salad be enough?? And how much beef per person do you allow?? Remember there are alot men and they tend to eat more when they get together......hahaha!
ellen

05/15/05
For 100 people you only need 10 gallons of salads, I would probably do 4 1/2 potato, 3 slaw 2 1/2 beans. For meat please check the serves 100 and the bbq and brisket pages at the top of this page yhere are butttons.
ellen

05/15/05
Lee, for 150 people, you use 1 1/2 times the 100 people amount.

For mixed entrees, see the bbq and brisket page for how I estimate this. But the ballpark figure for BBQ is 5 ounces of beef (1 pound for each 3 people) PLUS 3 ounces boneless chicken, which is about 8 ounces whole bone in chicken, so 1 chicken for each 6 people. 2 pounds of beef and a chicen for each 6 people...

Nancy Magoon
themagoons1@comcast.net
06/10/05
I need a recipe that can feed 300 homeless people with small amonut of money. I'm just a housewife, no work but in our church, we take turns to feed 300 people here in Atlanta. My turn to cook is this coming Tuesday(13th).
Please help me. Thank you so much and God bless! Nancy
ellen

06/10/05
Please check the Budget Entrees for 50-100 on the Big Pots page. The vegetarian spaghetti casserole, enchilads, chili, etc are all relatively easy and quite inexpensive.
Shannon
densstepside@aol.com
07/01/05
Coleslaw
I need a good coleslaw recipe for 300 people.
Also I could use a good bean recipe for 300 people. Can anyone help?
ellen

07/01/05
Go to the big pots page and see the slaws recipe. Many choices.
Ethelyn
DEthelyn@yahoo.com
07/06/05
Chili is the menu. Yes I have been selected to feed 400 BMW riders. Its Rally time and I need help!
ellen

07/06/05
Go to the chili page in Big Pots for recipes and ideas. Allow 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) per serving and figore 1.3 to 1.5 servings each- the larger if there is beer. Use one with beans, larger quantities at lower cost. Make your own chili powder, use my posted recipe.
Paula Longest
paulalongest@comcast.net
07/12/05
I need to make potato salad for 200 people - how many potatoes will I need?
Thanks
ellen

07/12/05
Potato salad
I love potato salad, any kind. I allow 30-35 pounds of potatoes per 100 people. There are quite a few potato salad recipes for 100 the slaws and potato salad pages in Big Pots.
nancy klever
klennan@cs.com
07/14/05
potato salad ingred for 350
I need amounts of potatoes, onions, and eggs for 350 people, for a wedding luncheon. Thanks
ellen

07/14/05
Do a potato salad search and/or Look on the quantities for 100 page in big pots. Amounts and recipe and links to more recipes.
ANNE M.
Morel_lslady@msn.com
07/24/05
I need to know how much would i need to feed 500
dear ellen ,
we are having a bar-b-que chicken on the grill and bake beans and potatoe salad and roll.
how much chicken would i need? how much would i need to make bake beans and the potatoe salad. how many tanks of gas would i need to cook the chicken? also should i boil my chicken first then put on the grill? need help real bad !!
ellen

08/03/05
Tanks of gas I have no idea.
Read the BBQ and brisket page and look at the quantities for 100 page, you will have your answers.

You do NOT boil the chicken. You can safely oven roast and reheat, but it dries out. You MUST follow the food safety rule of keep under 40 or over 140, especially with chicken.

Nancy
drafkin@tir.com
09/01/05
I need a recipe for taco salad for 40-50 people. How much ground beef? lettuce? taco chips? dressing? Thanks
ellen

09/01/05
See this recipe for 25 and double it.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex1.html

Tammy
wjohn97@insightbb.com
09/08/05
cooking for 300
Need some advise. WE are cooking for 300 band members. We are thinking of fixing tacos and salad. Or maybe sandwiches, if you could maybe give me and idea of how much I may need would muchly be appericated.

Bandmom
Tammy

ellen

09/09/05
I have just posted a tacos for 250 page, it is the bean and cheese taco, you can easily add taco beef, you will need to cook about 80 pounds of hamburger. Unless it is all boys, in which case you need more. I posted a homemade taco seasoning recipe on another page. Go to the new pages page for the tex mex link, Do a search for taco seaasoning on my website search and you will see the taco seasoning mix. Save a LOT of money by making it in bulk.

Tacoes are much easier than sandwiches, but for teens I would allow 3 per person unless I was also cooking up a lot of Spanish rice.

Gene Fodor
Cisgan@aol.com
09/13/05
I need a chili recipie for 300 people, with Beans and Meat.

I'm doing a dinner for the Toledo Police Honor Guard and expect at least 300 people or more.

Gene Fodor cisgan@aol.com
419-726-1959

ellen

09/13/05
Hi, Gene,

The chili page, with the basic church social chili for 100 and several other recipes, is where you need to go. If you do not have a kitchen and many big pots, 6-7 Nesco roasters is the way to go- each holds about 16-18 quarts, enough for just 50 people. For sides, you want 2-3 roasters of fluffy white rice, cornbread if you have ovens, saltines or oyster crackers and all the toppings (cheese, sour cream, chopped onions and chopped green onions, etc,) in 3 times the quantity for 100 people. Many bottles of Tobasco sauce, too. If you do Cincinatti chili, you will need one roaster of cooked plain spaghetti, of course.

I have several recipes for home made chili powders scattered around the site, these will also be a help.

With this many people, I might do 3 different chilis such as a bean and meat chili, a Cincinnati chili and a white chili for the (many) guys and gals on the lower cholesterol prescription.

ChuckS
chascarmipc@saber.net
10/08/05
cooking for 350
I need to know a formula to cook a dinner for 350 peoople. I know you can't just say if I cook for 35 I just increase everything by a factor of 10. Tri-Tip,ravioli alfredo,caesar salad, gr. beans w/ almonds & veggie dip.
ellen

10/08/05
The amounts can be figured from 35, but the cooking is not the same. It depends on the menu- for example, the ravioli can be boiled ahaead, but a true alfredo will not hold for serving that many persons. How are you doing the tri tip? How many cooks and what kitchen?
Terry
mnterryd@yahoo.com
10/09/05
Need help in finding a big pot for my chili. Currently use a huge aluminum pot but I get a burn in middle of pot caused by low burner flame hottest in the center.Can't keep stirring 100% of the time. Large recipe, normally use about 20 pounds of various ground meats plus beans etc. Any suggestions ?
ellen

10/09/05
I have had pretty good stovetop success using one or two enormous heavy roasting pans over 2 burners, but nowadays I am so lazy, I do the front work on the burner, use heavy foil to seal the roaster and put it in the oven at 325 a few hours. The pans come from a restaurant supply store. Asbestos burner pads do help with the scorching, but they slow down the cooking.

For use with a crockpot, I would do all the front cooking on the burner, then transfer to the crock pots for the simmering, say when you have added everything else and are ready
to add the beans and tomatoes. I would suggest high so you can take the lid off and give it a stir or two. The real crock pots that have the heat in the side walls are better for this than the various designs of slow cookers with
the heat on the bottom.

rita
kesproductions@aol.com
11/09/05
i am making chili for 300-325 people for a fundraiser.please help. just your basic chili,hamburger,beans,tomatoes,just do not have any idea of how much of any one ingred.thank you
ellen

11/09/05
Rita, go to the chili page in big pots and make the "Basic Church Social Chili" for 100 3 times. It's easy. Side dishes are recommended there, too.
mary baze
bazemp@yahoo.com
11/20/05
i need a cornbread dressing recipe to feed 150 people
yvonne
blackie@usfamily.net
12/17/05
Do you have reccipe for all differnt foods for a large crowd?
Thanks!
yvonne
ellen

12/18/05
Yvonne, Mary, the recipes you want are on the Big Pots index page.
Emily Scott
escott@tsslawyers.com
01/17/06
Spaghetti Dinner
Please help. We're having a fund raiser at
school. We need to know how much spaghetti sauce do we need to prepare for about 500 people. We need to know how many ounces of sauce and how much pasta per person. Also,
we need to know how do we prepare the pasta
in advance. Thank you.
ellen

01/17/06
Go to the big pots page and find the lotsa pasta page, it has everything I know about quantity pasta. There are also quite a few recipes such as the baked spaghetti in the budget entrees page that will do.
Elaine Greene
elaineleg@aol.com
01/23/06
Barbequed Roast Beef
My recipe calls for a 3 lb. Chuck roast. I need to make 60 bbq'd roast beef sandwiches. How much roast beef do I buy?
ellen

01/24/06
A good Italian roast recipe maybe? 3 pounds raw boneless will give about 2 pounds cooked, which will make 8 good sandwiches. If it is men, make 10 times your recipe, if it is women 1 each or 8 times. If you have a lot of sides or you are making/serving the plates yourself, 1 sandwich each will do.
Gayle
02/08/06
Hi, I need a simple chili recipe for approx. 200 people. Some advice on how to cook that much would be great too. Thanks!
ellen
02/08/06
Gayle, on the chili pages there are multiple recipes, discussions about methods, quantities and side dishes- check the Big Pots index.
brian hoekstra
04/05/06
Please help me out, I need to make chili, and pasta for 200 people. Could you help me out with quantities of ingrediants.
Thanks
brian hoekstra
04/05/06
Sorry I dont know if I gave my email to everyone
bhoekstra@shaw.ca
ellen
04/06/06
Brian, there is a whole section on chili and another whole section on spaghetti/lotsa pasta in the Big Pots area of this website. Both have recipes and quantity info. It will probably answer your questions.
Bambi
06/27/06
Cole Slaw for 400
How much cole slaw should it take to feed 400?
ellen
06/27/06
Start with 18-20 pounds of cabbage per 100, additions per your recipe. I have several slaw recipes for 100 listed on the slaw, mac and potato salad page- multiply X 4.
barbara
07/10/06
spagatti
i need to no how much sauce and pasta to use for 100 people
ellen
07/10/06
Go to the lotsa pasta page or any of the thrifty entree fpr 100 pages and you will find recipes for regular spaghetti and a variety of baked spaghettis.
stephanie m. salas
09/05/06
Quantity Romaine /lettuce salad ifor ceasar salad
Please tell me how much romaine and lettuce i need for a ceasar salad and ceasar dressing.

stevie

ellen
09/06/06
Go to the plan for 100 page, there is an extensive planning section for salads, includiing croutons and dressings.
Laurie
09/26/06
Is it ok to substitute brown beans for the kidney beans in chili? I heard something about the brown beans not freezing well?
ellen
09/26/06
They get a bit mushier when frozen, but still OK. I actually prefer pink, anasazi, or pinto beans.
cissie
10/06/06
I need to make chili with hamberger and beans for about 45 people.
How much chili will I need to make and how much ground beef do I need to buy?
Thank You!
ellen
10/13/06
See the chili cooking page and make 1/2 the recipe for church social chili for 100.
Cynthia
01/08/07
I need a recipe to serve chili to 200 people. Fund raiser for girl scout troop.
ellen
01/09/07
See the chili page (Big Pots). Mkae 2 times one of the recipes for 100.
Micky
02/08/07
I am helping with a fundraiser for our local fire department auxillary. Approx how many pinto beans and how much prepared cornbread will we need to feed 350 people
Debbie
02/10/07
Amount of bread to buy
how many loaves of bread do I need to make sandwiches for 150 people?
ellen
02/11/07
Mickey, see the beans for 100 page and make 3 1/2 times. See the cornbread recipes on the chili page for cornbread assistance.

Debbie, see the sandwich event page- everything you need for sandwich planning.

MJ
02/25/07
I'm doing a benefit, I need a simple chili recipe that is cheap to make for 200 people.
ellen
02/28/07
Double the first recipe on the chili page.
Bonnie
04/16/07
Salmon Recipe for 50-100 people
I need a recipe for Salmon eithe baked or poached for between 50-100 people. I want to serve Rice with it as well.
ellen
04/17/07
Hi, Bonnie, you are on the chili thread, but I am guessing you don't want salmon chili! You need to tell me if this is whole salmon or steaks or fillets, and what is your cooking situation (how many burners, what stoves, etc.
Peggy
04/23/07
I need the ingredients for potato salad for 250 pe
Hi, Bonnie, I need the ingredients for potato salad for 250 people. thank you.
ellen
04/24/07
Well Peggy, on the Mac, Slaw, and Potato Salad for 100 page in Big Pots there are at least a half dozen very different potatoe salads for 100. Make 2 1/2 times for 250 people.
Lori McNiff
05/11/07
Im cooking for 200 people for a jack and jill
I just met with the family and they want chix fingers with sauses on the side white boneless chix. Lemon chix also, sausage and peppers, ziti with marinra sauce,mac and cheese for kids, tossed salad, rolls, for apps they want fruit skewers or platter,veggi and dip, chips and dip, tortilla chips and salsa. this is being serverd between 2:00 for app. dinner at 4:00. then they want hambergers and hot dogs for later with potato salad and pasta salad it sounds like so much food, Im not sure how much to make. alot of people from the age 20-50 plus kids too. help
ellen
05/11/07
For two hours of apps you need at least 12 "bites" per person. A "bite" is 1/4 cup dip plus 1 ounce chips, 1 skewer of fruit, 1 ounce of veggies plus dip, 1 miniquiche, two pieces of hot wing, etc. There is an appetizer planning page on the site to help with quantities.

This selection sounds a little strange unless they are doing two meals? The first group are entrees and sides, then the second (burgers, etc) are also entrees and sides.

You should just bid the whole thing- the price will be ridiculous- then show them what the appes plus ONE of the entree groups would be.

I need more specific info to even begin helping you estimate the meal... what is the event anyway? What are the beverages and desserts? Send more info.

ellen
05/11/07
By the way, when you write back, please start a new thread, this does not belong on the chili thread.
Lori McNiff
05/11/07
I forgot to give you my email veggi5@hotmail.com
Shirley D.
06/08/07
cole slaw for 400
A fried and I are serving 125 at the Homeless Shelter and the rest at our church.
ellen
06/08/07
See my slaw for 100 recipes in Big Pots.
karen
07/04/07
potato salad for 250 people
I need to know how many lbs of potatoes is needed to feed 250 people.
ellen
07/04/07
See the plan for 100 page, very first item is potato salad quantity, or any on the potato salad recipes for 100- make 2 1/2 times the recipe to serve 250. With that much, you might want to make 2 different types- there are about 8 different recipes on the slaw mac and poato salads for 100 page.
Domestic Kitty
07/23/07
I have the perfect Chili w/Beans recipe.
Can you tell me how to increase the recipe from feeding a family of six to making 50 quart size jars at a time.

Also I would like to began selling my Chili via mailorder, could you tell me how I would go about doing that.

My Chili is simply the best and I want to offer it to the rest of the world.

ellen
07/23/07
Kitty, the laws on thos vary from state to state, that is why so many peoducts are registered with the Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture. The liability issues are major (especially with meat products) and so are the health regulations on the manufacturing kitchen and on interstate shipping of food and agricultural products. You could look into food manufacturing sites in yur area- home recipes have to be majorly reworked for commercial manufacturing to get the same taste.

Home processing of canned meat products for sale is not a safe idea. You need to consider, also, whether frozen might be a storage alternative.

You need a small business lawyer, not an internet bullletin board.

darlene
07/25/07
Hello Ellen, Could you tell me how much ziti I shoul cook for a crowd of 50 people. There will be many more side and meats served also?
ellen
07/25/07
I'd stsrt with 4-5 pounds dry. You would be using 3 pounds to make a pasta salad for this many, you decide how much more quantity than that you want-
Susan
07/31/07
wedding reception
I need help on how much of the following I need to purchase for a 7:00 wedding reception for 350 people:
Pork tenderlion
London broil
Rolls for above meat to make a sandwich
Carrots
Celery
Cauliflower
Brocilli
Cherry tomatoes
Dip for vegtables
Watermelon
Cantalope
Grapes
Strawberries
Pineapple
Dip for fruit
Cubed chees
crackers
Pasta salad
Punch
Please send this info today if possible, my
reception is this weekend.
Thank You! Susan
ellen
07/31/07
Susan, the reception is this weekend??? Usually, these plans are done 2-3 MONTHS in advance. And this is way too big for an inexperienced person to do. I am not even going to ask about where you are going to cook and store this much food, but I will tell you that at least 4 cooks and 18 servers is the minimum for a party this size.

I do not do initial plans for folks since I posted all the tables in 2004 and ALL these foods are covered. I ask people to prepare an estimate, post it and then I check it and comment. In your case, however, I will bend my rule.

Pork tenderlion
London broil
4 ounces cooked thin sliced ready to eat beef, PLUS 3 ounces cooked ready to eat pork loin per person
Rolls for above meat to make a sandwich
3 ounces per person, or one roll if you are using the very large 4-5 ounce rolls
Carrots
Celery
Cauliflower
Brocilli
Cherry tomatoes
Dip for vegtables
See veggie tray page- all covered
Watermelon
Cantalope
Grapes
Strawberries
Pineapple
Dip for fruit
See fruit tray page-all covered
Cubed cheese
crackers
18 pounds cheese, 6 pounds crackers per 100.
Pasta salad
Start with 21-24 pounds dry pasta- I have many recipes for pasta salad for 100 posted. Barilla pasta plus holds up great in salads, if you can get it. See the lotsa pasta page for info on cooking tis much pasta- it will take hours.
Punch
8-10 gallons if there are other drinks. Add 1 cup per person per hour for over 2-3 hours.

kate
08/05/07
quanity baked ziti
i need the amount of ziti ,tossed salad & bread for 150 people
ellen
08/06/07
See the lotsa pasta page and the basic bargain entrees for 100 there are sveral recipes for 100. Bread and salad for 100 are on the plan for 100 page.
Leslie
08/15/07
Baby shower
planning for 85 people: How much Ziti with meatballs and salad and Rolls will i need please.

Thank you for the last help you gave me for a wedding It was perfect.

ellen
08/16/07
Leslie, use the lotsa pasta page and the plan for 100 pages to make your estimate- then post it and I will check it for you.
ROSALYN
08/27/07
i need a recipe to feed 250 people.
using meat beans & tomatoes.
ellen
08/28/07
Did you look on the chili page (button at the top of the main cook talk page)?
david owens
09/03/07
i am entering a chili cookoff in my home town.i already have a recipe using ground chuck.i need 10 gallons of chili.how many pounds of beef do you think i will need.i am also using beans.also what ratio of onions to beef do you think i will need.i'm confused..thanks
ellen
09/03/07
David. 1 pound of meat is 2 cups, and it usually makes about a quart of chili by the time you add beans and other fixings. So you are looking at 40 pounds of meat more or less. 10 gallons-40 quarts. let me warn you that prize winners generally chop at least half the meat from chuck, rather than using all ground. Also, you need to experimant with your recipe, you can't just multiply times 40- the spicing will be way off. Take a look at my recipes for 100, most make about 6-7 gallons.
Amy
09/14/07
Ellen, I'm planning a family night chili dinner at an elementary school. I'm looking to serve 350 to 400 people. Can you help me on how much meat and other ingredients I need?

Thank you
Amy

ellen
09/14/07
Please press the chili button at the top of the main cooktalk page. You probably want 4 times the church supper chili recipe.
Dana
09/17/07
Hi, I am planning a wedding reception for about 400 guests. One thing we are serving is chicken tenders. About how many tenders would I need? I found some in 5 lb bags, if I decided on those how many would I need?
ellen
09/18/07
Please read my wedding dinner/reception article. This size group is beyond most family cooks. The amount of chicken tenders depends on how many other meatsnd whether this is a meal or a reception.
Mary C
10/04/07
I am in a big pickle. I need a to make 10 gallons of chili but can only find small quantity recipes. Can you send me a chili recipe using beef and pork measured to make 10 gallons? NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY! Thanks
ellen
10/04/07
You clearly did not yet look on my chili page. Go there, pick one of the many kinds of chili for 100 and relax.
Brenda
10/08/07
Greetings!

I'm trying to find a recipe for Chili - we are doing a fund raiser & plan on serving 100 people. However, we would like to have enough where people could get seconds if they wanted. We also thought it would be good to have some left over, for those that might want to take some home in a container.

Thanks for your help!

Blessings,
Brenda

ellen
10/08/07
Go to the main cook talk page, press the chili button at the top of the page, pick your recipe for 100. You could make 1 1/4 the recipe to have extra.
connie
01/20/08
I'm doing a spaghetti dinner fundraiser and will be feeding about 500 plus people. I'm trying to see how much spaghetti and sauce I may need.
Thanks!
ellen
01/21/08
See the spaghetti/lotsa pasta page (button at the top of the main cook talk page, scroll about 1/2 way down for spaghetti dinner for 50-60 and use 10 times the amounts.
Kyle Agha
01/28/08
In serving soup and sandwiches for 200 starting at 11:00 am and going till 2.
Whats the best way to serve?
Out of chaffers??? I guess I would have two of each out at a time? Should I use 8oz bowls?
Thanks
ellen
01/29/08
Usually, the soup serving with soup and sandwich is a cup, 4-6 ounces. The bowl question depends on the setting, if it is paper/plastic and they are walking around, you might consider 6-8 ounce cups. Chaffers are no usually used for soup, they don't really keep it hot enough. Large (6-8 quart) crockpots or 12 quart soup servers are better choices.

Two of each what? IF you are serving 200 people buffet style in rapid succession (they are all going to sit down for a program, for example), you need 4 lines, all the same, and a soup station at the end of each. The only way to do just 2 is to have two two-sided table lines, with the soup at the end of each serving two lines.

There is a lot of info on setting up efficient sandwich lines in the sandwich event section and the article on food bars. Take a look.

Jay
02/06/08
I need to make 5 gallons of chili for our company chili cookoff. I have only made small family quantities. How do I do it? Please help - event is Feb 23, 08. What's a good and easy recipe. I have limit space and supplies
ellen
02/08/08
Jay, this is the very first question on this thread, and addressed several times through it. When you have looked it over, go to the chili page (button at the top of the main cook talk page) and check out the recipes.
Meagan
04/07/08
tossed salad for 200
I am making tossed salad for 200 scouts at a dinner and I need to know how much Lettuce, Tomatoes and cukes to buy?
ellen
04/08/08
Check the extensive salad options in the plan for 100 list, first section. Link button at the top of the main cook talk page.
Melissa
07/05/08
Shrimp dip for 300 people
I am helping a friend with a wedding reception. It is a 7 pm wedding. My recipe is below. How many batches do you think I need for approximately 300 guests. We are serving several other heavy foods like pork loin, shrimp and potatoes, meatballs, pimento sandwiches,chicken salad and pasta salad.
1 small can shrimp
8 oz cream cheese
1 small carton sour cream
2 tsp lemon juice
1 pkg Good Season Italian Dressing Mix

Thanks for the advice

ellen
07/05/08
Your recipe will make 12 servings, which is plenty for 12 people with that menu. Buy the cream cheese in 3 pound blocks (6 times your recipe) and the sour cream in 5 pound containers (10 times your recipe for a big cost savings. Consider snipping in fresh dill when you mix it.
jackie
08/14/08
pasta salad
I need a good recipe for pasta salad and how much do I need for 40-50 people
ellen
08/14/08
Look on the plan for 100 page, go to the link for slaw, mac and potato salads and use half of any of the dozen recipes there.
andrea
09/16/08
Cooking Jamabalaya
Please help me!!! I am planning an event and i have to serve 300 people. My menu is jambalaya and roast.
ellen
09/17/08
What is the question? If you are asking for quantities, I need to know the rest of the menu, and how many jambalaya and how many roast and what kind of roast? Beef, pork, prime rib, potroast?
kathy
10/08/08
how many people will 150 pound of potatoes for mashed potatoes feed? How many people will 195 pound of turkey breast feed
ellen
10/09/08
About 450 potato-wise.

Bone-in breast, just over 1 1/2 people per pound. Boneless, 2 people per pound.

Janice Van Booven
10/23/08
I need to know how much hamburger, tomato juice, onion, chili seasoning,& beans I will need to make chili for 150 people. There will be other food also. There will be men , women & children. Would like any information you can give me . Need to know before Nov.1st
ellen
10/24/08
Go to the chili page and look at the recipes for 100. You need 1 1/2 times the recipe for 150.
Kathleen
10/24/08
I am hosting a chili cook-off and need to know how much chili to make for 280 people. We will be serving the chili by bowl and for chili dogs.
leon
10/24/08
how many turkeys would you need for feed 150 people
ellen
10/25/08
This is not a question about chili, and you need to go to the holiday cooking section at the top of big pots for this information- it is already posted.
Kent Lankford
01/05/09
Ellen: Our Rotary club is feeding chili
for about 200 people. On Jan. 6th 09. I just found your site, sorry. We need this very simple. Also, approx. what other supplies and how much should we have on hand.

Thanks
Kent Lankford

ellen
01/05/09
See the article on chili cooking for 100's.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/chili.html

ellen
01/05/09
It takes 8 pounds of corn chips for 100 people. For topping amounts, (cheese, onions, etc)the guide under the baked potato bar.
Susie
02/04/09
Taco Salad for 15 People
I need to know approx. how much of each ingredient you think I will need for 15 people to make taco salads?

lbs of Hamburger
Shredded Cheese
Tomatos
Lettuce
Sour Cream
Bags of Tostitos Scoops(Chips)
Hot Sauce

ellen
02/04/09
Susie, see the taco salad for 25 recipe and use about 2/3 th:e amounts:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex1.html

Sherry
02/16/09
ziti
how much Ziti will i need to feed 50 people?
ellen
02/16/09
Depends on how you are preparing it, but somewhere around 6 pounds for a main dish casserole.
Noemi
03/06/09
I volunter to cook slaw and bake bean for 50 people at the Hope House, but I need to now what the quantity is to feed 50 people

Thanks

ellen
03/06/09
Pick any of my many recipes for 100, make 1/2.
bonnie
03/21/09
How much frozen fruit and yogurt for parfait to feed 400
ellen
03/21/09
Is this going to be pre-proportioned into serving cups, or self serve? And is it a part of breakfast or a snack? What else is being served? Write back.
Debbie
04/05/09
Our local Fire dept is looking to do a fund raiser with chili and corn bread.
Approx. how much chili do you think we shoild make for 300 people?
Thank you
ellen
04/05/09
See the chili page for chili recipes for 100 and info on amounts for sides and garnishes.
Judy
04/14/09
jambalaya dinner fundraiser
we're having a chicken and sausage jambalaya dinner fundraiser and I need to know how much to prepare for 700 people
ellen
04/14/09
In jambalaya, a pound of rice is considered to serve 6-8, and you use about 3 pounds of cut up chicken and a half pound of sausage or ham in the same recipe. Your recipes should have about 100 pounds of rice and everything else to proportion. Jambalaya recipes vary a lot, tomato in creole, not in cajun, etc. There are some great links for large quantity creole and cajun cooking on the web- ask Mr. Google.
ellen
04/14/09
Here is one link I particularly like.

www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html#recipes

LaToya Lewis
04/30/09
Please help me!!! I am planning an event and i have to serve 2000 people. My job is jambalaya
ellen
05/01/09
Latoya, are you serving 2000 people jambalaya or is it one of several entrees? Have to know the entrees and sides to discuss amounts. For recipes see the link above.
Jill
05/13/09
50th Anniversary Party
I am planning a 50th Wedding Anniversary for my parents and am planning on Chicken Salad and Ham Salad on petite crossaints, fresh fruit, etc. We are planning on about 250 people. How much do I need and do you have any receipes for the sandwiches.
Thanks!!
ellen
05/13/09
Jill, what are you doing on the chili page?
There is a whole article with recipes on sandwich events. There is one for fruit trays. Also look at the beverage planning page and the dessert event page- you would do well to have more than one dessert.
Julia
07/10/09
Slaw
How much slaw do I need to make for 40 people???
ellen
07/12/09
6 quarts, approximately.
Melissa
09/10/09
Hi ellen we are cooking for a fall festival and are expecting 4000 people what would be a good festival food to cook? We were thinking frito pies and making the chili ourselves?
ellen
09/11/09
That sounds pretty sensible- no frying- you can use the walking taco salad to guide for quantities..

But this is a HUGE amount of food- food safety is an issue here. How are you going to keep over 100 gallons of chili safely cold and then heat it?

koby
10/01/09
I need to know how ground chuck I need to use to make 5 gallons of chili?
ellen
10/01/09
Around 20 pounds. See the chili recipes for 100 on the chili page.
Liza
10/20/09
I am going to make turkey chili for a baked potato dinner, meaning the chili is a topping for the baked potato. I need to make enough for 150 people. Two questions. How much chili should I make, and what size pot do I need to cook the chili?
Thank you.
ellen
10/20/09
You need just 1/2 the amount you would use for serving in bowls, so enough for 75 normal people. See the chili for 100 recipes and make 3/4. You will have about 4 gallons, this cooks and serves very well in 2 electric roasters.
Amanda
10/23/09
How much??
I am needing to know how much Chili to fix for around 300 people. How many gallons. I am just wanting the plain ol chili.. meat, beans, spices, juice... Nothing out of the ordinary. How many of those LARGE cans (#10 cans) of beans will I need and how much juice.. Please email me. Thank You and God Bless!
Amanda
ellen
10/23/09
Go to the chili page, use the first recipe for 100, make 3 times. It will be around 18-20 gallons, plan for your cooking and refrigerator space (think, how big is a gallon of milk, multiply times 20).
glenda
11/23/09
help!!! i need chili recipe for 30 quarts by tomorrow night 11/24/09
ellen
11/23/09
That is only 7 gallons. Make 1 1/2 times the church chili recipe at the top of the chili page.
kevin simmons
12/07/09
cooking soup
I need to feed 500 per @ 8 ounce cups how many
gallons do I need
ellen
12/07/09
There are 16 8-ounce cups in 1 gallon. You can definitely do this math.
Stacey
12/15/09
caesar salad
I need to make 80 cups of caesar salad. How much lettuce, croutons, and dressing do I need.
ellen
12/15/09
How many people are you serving? I go by weights, not cups in my tables.
Sara
01/24/10
I need to prepare enough chili to feed an estimated 150 people. How much per ingredient do I need.
ellen
01/24/10
See the recipes on the chili page. You need about 9-11 gallons depending on serving size.
Priscilla Bryant
02/04/10
White Chili
i need to cook 5 gallons of white chili that would be good for chicken or pheasant. Any advice? Please help! If possible, email me back! Thanks
ellen
02/05/10
Take a look at the chili page for your quantity guidance, and then multiply your small recipe. Just remember- use only half the salt and about 3/4 the herb. peppers that the numbers would indicate.
Karen
02/09/10
Could you please tell me how much ground beef and ground pork I need to buy to make chili for 40 adults. The party is this Friday. Thank you!
ellen
02/10/10
about 10 pounds lean, 12 fatty.
Jake
03/24/10
I need to make 60 gallons of white chicken chili and dont know where to start. My recipe has boneless chicken breasts white naval beans chx broth and cilantro just dont know how much of each i would need HELP!!!!
ellen
03/24/10
Jake, this is a big food safety issue as well as a cooking challenge- where are you going to chill this much chili in pans 2 inches deep or less to allow safe, fast chilling?

60 gallons will serve 800-1000 people. Is that your plan? If so, you need commercial (licensed and inspected) kitchen space to prep.

60 gallons weighs around 500 pounds..

6 gallons uses about 20 pounds of meat and 6-8 pounds of dried beans. Does that help?

REBEKAH
05/18/10
Sandwiches
I need to know how many tomatoes, heads of letuce, I should buy for a 150 people
ellen
05/18/10
Go to the sandwich event page look at the quantity table under condiments, use 1 1/2 times the amount for 100.
Mary
10/01/10
we are cooking chili for 400 students but without Beans..your chili for 100 will work but how much extra meat should I buy to make up for no beans...thanks bunches
ellen
10/02/10
For each 100, add about 10 pounds of ground beef and 8 pounds chopped onions, plus one more #10 can diced tomatoes. I would also add 4-6 pounds chopped bell peppers per 100.
Paula
10/28/10
I'm considered one of the better cooks in the family but have never cooked in large volumn before. I need to make chile for 200 family members with beans, meat, and tomatoe base. Can you email me something. Thanks Paula
ellen
10/28/10
Go the the chili page and check out the church supper chili recipe; multiply times 2 or three for this size group.
You will be making 12-15 gallons, that is 4 to 5 roasters full
FLORA RODRIGUEZ
11/15/10
Cornbread dressing to feed 150 persons
need recipe for tomorrow .thank you
ellen
11/15/10
Suggest you use the dressing recipe already posted here:
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/pro/sodress.html
steve
12/29/10
Quantity Chili Cooking 30 qt cooker
chili recipe
ellen
12/29/10
Press chili button at the top of the main cooktalk page.
kelley looney
01/19/11
Hi Ellen, I'm doing half the church social chili and a smaller pot of the Cincy chili [vegetarian] foe about 60 folks and I was double checking the amount of tom.paste [1qt. for half recipe]. It seems like a lot. Also I was thinking about serving it on potato wedges to take the bowl and spoon out of the equation. Would prebaking then hollowing out medium Idaho russets. If so should I oil and season the potatoes first? You have a wonderful website and it's been amazingly helpful. Thank you so much, Kelley
kelley looney
01/19/11
Hi Ellen, I'm doing half the church social chili and a smaller pot of the Cincy chili [vegetarian] for about 60 folks and I was double checking the amount of tom.paste [1qt. for half recipe]. It seems like a lot. Also I was thinking about serving it on potato wedges to take the bowl and spoon out of the equation. Would prebaking then hollowing out medium Idaho russets be the thing to do? If so should I oil and season the potatoes first? You have a wonderful website and it's been amazingly helpful. Thank you so much, Kelley
ellen
01/21/11
For a half recipe, I would use a bit less tomato paste; 4 6 ounce cans.

Cincy chili is usually served over spaghetti, not potatoes. If I were trying to do it on a plate with potatoes, I would just do split baked potatoes and offer the topping from the baked potato bar page (cheese, sour cream, etc.)

Nicky Saunders
02/17/11
Hi Ellen,

I'm having a birthday party for my mom, with 18 guests. I'm cooking chilli- how do I know how much to make? I was thinking maybe 2 double recipes so, 4lbs of hamburger total? But, I could be way off base!

Thanks!

ellen
02/19/11
I would make enough for 24- using whatever recipe you like.
Cathy
02/27/11
I need to make 200 frito chili pie(s). We will be using a paper container used for french fries (you know that little red and white checked boat shaped thing). Looks like they would hold about 2 cups of liquid(?) There will be fritos, chili & cheese + some other toppings like onions, japalenos.
How much chili do you think each "pie" will need?
ellen
02/28/11
1/4 to 1/3 cup, depending on the look you want and how many fritos. Most commercial establishments just use 1/4 cup. You might make a few up and see what look you like.
Connie
05/27/11
I have 10 lbs of meat that I need to turn into 10 gallons of chili with no beans..is this even possible? Competion coming up, only have made small batches so far. any help appreciated
ellen
05/28/11
A pound of meat is only 2 cups. 2 cups in a gallon is not nearly enough meat. You would be better off doing a vegetarian chili.
marissa
07/07/11
I am borrowing a friend's cookbook and it says recipes should yield 4-6lbs, but I have no idea how much that will feed! For example, the cornbread recipe is 4lbs. 7.5oz. Is that enough for 6 people, or waaaay to much?

Thanks!

ellen
07/07/11
Waaaay too much. A smallish loaf of bread is about 1 to 1 1/2 pound. You want about 1/3 that recipe for 6 people.
Deborah Shriver
08/11/11
Hot Dog Sauce Recipe in large quanity to serve 100
How many pounds of ground beef to make hot dog sauce to serve 100 hot dogs?
ellen
08/11/11
Assuming you are thinking hot dog chili, about 12 pounds.
rebecca
09/05/11
Hello. I have a chili recipe I will be using for a party. If I omit the meat, can I use the same recipe for a vegetarian chili also? Do you have any stock pot recommendations regarding size and brand? I will be making chili for 50-75 people. Thank you.
ellen
09/05/11
If I were just doing this, I would use soy crumbles instead of nothing for the meats. They come dry or moist. It is easy to use a roasting pan and cook/simmer a large amount in the oven.
Amy
09/18/11
How much chili should I plan on per serving for chili dogs and frito pie. I am cooking for a Cub Scout function with 120 adults and kids.
ellen
09/18/11
Amy, this is a very tough estimate. I would do 1/3 cup per person, 10 quarts or 2 1/2 gallons minimum, if no-one will just take a bowl of chili. If you think some folks might take bowls, you will need more-
alto watson
09/22/11
i have to cook enough chili without beans for 1200 servings for a church carnival how much ground meat will i need
ellen
09/22/11
1200 bowls? Or is this hot dog chili? Write back.
Mitch
09/26/11
Ellen:

I am making chili for 100 people for an evening Halloween party that starts at 7 pm. We will have other food also. How much chili should I make and what size quart pot should I use to make all of it?

ellen
09/26/11
See the chili cooking page- discussed in detail.
joey
10/11/11
Hi I need an economical vegan chili recipe to make forty quarts I would like to avoid meat substitutes, thank you
ellen
10/12/11
If you don't have to have chili, the spicy bean stew (bean stifado) in the recipe box is delicious.

Any good chili recipe, you can sub mixed cooked beans for the meat, pound for pound.

ntombizodwa
12/07/11
l need a recipe to feed 100 peopl
ntombizodwa
12/07/11
l need a recipe to feed 100 people
ellen
12/07/11
Look on the chili page.
Darlene Thornton
01/21/12
We have a motorcycle function this weekend. We call it Frostyballs. Because we have joined with another group who sends cookies to the soldiers for Valentines Day, We have gotten HUGE! We serve hotdogs and chili. Last year we had over 600 people. I need a good recipe that can be used on hotdogs as well as in a bowl. Not too terribly expensive, as this is for charity. Thankyou!
ellen
01/21/12
Hot dog chili, with no beans, is MUCH more expensive than chili with beans such as my church social chili on the chili page.I use the bowl of red recipe in the recipe box section with hamburger as the meat when I want a hot dog chili. I strongly suggest you do the same-,make chili with beans for bowls and no beans for the hot dogs (2 tablespoons per dog).
Kristine
01/25/12
I need to cook turkey chili for 150 students and vegetarian chili for 50 more= 200 people. I have a team of 10 people able to help me using their own large (6 quart) crock pots. How much chili will we need to cook and how many crock pots will each person need?
ellen
01/26/12
I think you can figure this out from my chili page, which discusses amounts, sides, recipes, etc.
John
02/23/12
I need to cook 30 qts of chili and I need a recipe so I can go shop for all the food! Please help
ellen
02/23/12
That is about 7 1/2 gallons. See the church social chili recipe on the chili page. Mkae 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 the recipe.
Valerie
03/12/12
Lamb Stew
Hello, I'm cooking 120 servings of Lamb Stew in 2 - 24 quart aluminum pots. Both pots will be 2/3 full. How long do I cook on the stove-top to prevent overcooking the vegetables.

Last year I had 10 friends cook the same recipe in their crock pots and we combined them at the event - it was a success, though it was a lot to ask of them.

It was super easy to do a trial run in a crock-pot :) I appreciate your comments so I can serve a decent stew. Kind regards, Valerie

ellen
03/12/12
Valerie, I would do this in 2 electric roasters, set at either 200 for low crock pot or 300 for high crock pot, same timing as crock pots. It is VERY easy to scorch in the 24 quart pots.
ellen
03/12/12
If not roasters, consider baking in the oven, covered.
Charisa
03/14/12
Tomato Sauce for Hot Dogs
Hi Ellen

Slightly off topic, but I am giving 1000 kids Hot Dogs. How much tomato sauce and mustard will I need?

ellen
03/14/12
2 tablespoons ketchup per kid, 1 tablespoon mustard.
Liz
03/19/12
I am getting married in May and we are feeding the guests. I know how to do this for about 70 - 100 people, but am not sure for up to 300 people. HELP ! I Need to know how many Lbs. of beans and onions I need for approximately 300 people for making chili beans. Also for Green salad how many bags of already ready salad. I will be mixing in some red lettuce and carrots / tomatoes too. These of course are sides dishes. Appreciate your response.

Thank you,
Liz

ellen
03/20/12
8-10 pounds dry beans per 100 plus fixings.

For the salad, see the plan for 100 page and make 3x the amount for 100.

Yvonne Mungo
04/23/12
i need to make vegetarian and a meat chili for 200 people and four diffarent types of corn bread how much would it cost for all the ingredents? help!!!
ellen
04/24/12
Yvonne, I can't cost recipes for you, it varies too much by region and supplier, and I don't have your recipes. For recipe help, see the chili page. If this were my party, I would make 150 meat, 50 vegetarian and 50-75 white/chicken.
Lisa
09/09/12
Need to make chili for 2000 people for a fundraiser. how many gallons would it take to serve 12 oz's per person? any suggestions
ellen
09/09/12
Look at the first recipe on the chili page. You need 190 gallons.
Rev Peter Devassy
10/08/12
Please suggest me the quantity of the boneless chicken for 150 people's day of out with church gathering on next 21st if the October, 2012
ellen
10/08/12
60-70 pounds boneless skinless raw; depends on the recipe; straight, the larger amount, add-ins, the lesser.
Brenda Novack
10/11/12
hello, I am in charge of a chili / soup dinner for a church fundraise. I have never done this before. Spaghetti Dinners are my specialty. I need to find a chili recipie that is mild , we have lots of older people in the parish. we are thinking of serving 150 people. they will have a choice of chili or chicken soup. can you help ?
ellen
10/11/12
Brenda you want the church supper chili on the top of the chili page and maybe the beefy vegetable soup with variations, here.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/beefsoup.html

mary
06/18/13
i need a chili recipe that serves 70 people, thanks
ellen
06/18/13
Check out the basic church supper chili on the chili page. It serves 80 generously. For 7-, cut everything back about 10%.
Amy Dent
03/27/14
Hello. I'm planning my niece's " barn style" wedding in late october and we will be serving chili, cornbread and the "fixings" for ~150 guests. I need to determine how to figure out how much to fix and if we should leave the beans out of the main chili - make it more palatable for more folks and serve the beans/chili sauce in a separate bowl so folks can add if they choose? Also, what would be appropriate sides for this? HELP :) An email answer would be wonderful.
ellen
03/27/14
Hi, Amy,

Currently our server doesn't preserve emails, just uses them to confirm our writers.

For 150 people, I would suggest 1 6 quart pot/ crock of vegetarian chili (see the Kung Fu chili on this site); then 2/3 "bowl of red" (chili without beans) with beans on the side, and 1/3 white chili with white beans and chicken or turkey.
I would make 7 to 8 gallons of red, 3-4 of white, and about 10 pounds dry beans. Amounts for sides are with the church chili recipe on this site, or you can use the taco bar page for a wider choice- you might want chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream with your cheese.
Rice is a nice side dish with this- about 10 pounds- baked in the oven is easy and almost fool proof. Guide is on the recipe box page.

You want a big green salad, see the plan for 100 page.

The appetizers might be:
tortilla chips, 1 pound per 12
1/4 cup salsa per person
1/4 cup corn/black bean salsa per person
Guacamole, budget permitting; 1/4 cup per person
Mexican style fruit tray, with paprika and lime wedges as garnish
Flautas, 2-3 per person

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support the site. Thanks.

nancy
06/25/14
Hosting a party in fall and plan to serve a traditional red chili, a white chicken chili and different toppings for each, plus corn muffins, rolls/bread & butter, fruit salad and cake. How much chili should I plan for approximately 30-35 adults and 14-16 kids? One of the kids is a teenager, the rest age 8 & under. I'm at a loss so any advice you can offer is helpful. Thanks!
ellen
06/28/14
This depends a great deal on the spicy tolerance level of your group, as white is usually much milder. I would count this as about 40.

If you use beans in the red chili, you want to start with about 10 pounds of meat. No beans, 12-14. For the chicken, about 6 pounds boneless, which is 12 pounds whole.

Topping help on the taco bar page, use 1/3 the amount for 100.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Lauren
09/06/14
Hi there, planning to make mince chili for 75 people for evening meal at our wedding. Got several kitchens available so going to divide the workload. Thinking 10 kilos of mince, around 40 large onions, 35 400g tins of kidney beans as the basis of our chili. Only thing we're struggling with is size of pots! Any idea how many litres that would come to?
ellen
09/06/14
Thats about 10 liters of mince3-4 of onions. 16 liters of beans (about 1/3 too many beans)...

About 15 liters per each 50 people is usual for buffet service.

Teresa Crawford
09/23/14
Mrs. Ellen,

Please help, we are wanting to have a chili dinner at school for PTO. We will be serving 500. How much ingredients for chili will I need?

We will be using:
Hamburger
Chili beans
onions
diced tomatoes
chili seasonings

Thank you in advance for your help!!

ellen
09/23/14
Go to the chili page, make the church social chili, and make about 6 times the recipe. Toppings and add-ins are discussed.
Cindy chapman
10/20/15
Quantity Chili Cooking updates
Help I put to much brown sugar in my chili. What can I do? Please help asap
ellen
10/20/15
You posted twice, see the other one.
Jana
01/05/17
How much meat should I buy for 40 people to make Chilli?
ellen
01/06/17
About 8 pounds.
Linda Witte Marshall
10/25/17
hi ellen
I want to make white bean chicken chili for 100 for a church fundraiser. I am using your beef recipe but since not using tomatoes do you have a recipe I could follow.
ellen
10/27/17
Taste of Home has a good chicken chili recipe:

www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/white-chicken-chili

If you want beans from scratch, 1 pound dry for each recipe.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)