See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

BBQ for an event
Lucy
01/24/16
I'm cooking for a total of 262 people for an outdoor event where there will be all live stations and people can choose their toppings. How many pounds of each raw meat do I need to buy. I was thinking 20- 30lbs of each variety because not everyone will be eating of the same meat and there is plenty of other foods. Also I thought of 6 lbs of each pasta, 5 lbs of each rice, 20 lbs of potatoes. Not too sure about the salad. Can you please help me? Thanks in advance

1. BBQ meats (skirt steak, Cutlets and Loin of Pork)
2. Pastas (Fettuccini and Penne with Toppings such as Broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onions, Bacon and cheese)
3. Sauces (Marinara and Alfredo)
4. Rice (2 varieties)
5. Potatoes (1 variety)
6. Salads (Spring Mix and Roman Lettuce with 6 toppings such as bacon, onions, cucumber, tomatoes, parmesan cheese and croutons)

ellen
01/24/16
Lucy, it sounds like you have not done an event this size before?

An event this size requires at least 3 experienced people on the grills in addition to about 10 to set up, serve, and clean up. At least 3 serving lines; 2 double sided would be even better.

Outside, increases the amount of food, self serve increases the amount of food, and at a BBQ people tend to pile meat on their plates if it is self serve. If you look at BBQ catering sites, you will see they almost always include sausage or chicken, because it is less expensive and fills out the plate. So I am going to suggest some tweaks to your menu.

1. BBQ meats (skirt steak, Cutlets and Loin of Pork)
Allow at least 1 pound raw beef per 3 adult persons= 75 pounds
Cutlets and pork loin (both pork), 1 pound total per 6= 38 pounds total
If you add sausage, up to 20 pounds, you can cut back on the beef by an equal amount. Prep this ahead with equal weight onion and pepper mix, it will help cover any slowdowns on the grills.
If you add chicken, allow 1 piece per person, cut beef 15 and pork 10. Using quarters? Cut apart after cooking.
And have servers SERVE the meats.
2. Pastas (Fettuccini and Penne with Toppings such as Broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onions, Bacon and cheese); at least 6 pounds dry per 100. You can use the salad topping list below as a guide for the pasta toppings as well. Put a can/container of shake on Parmesan on each table. Put a squirt bottle of BBQ sauce on each table.
3. Sauces (Marinara and Alfredo) 1 quart per pound of pasta; usual is 2 /3 marinara, 1/3 alfredo. The Alfredo style sauce for 100 on this site holds well and the amount would be about right.
4. Rice (2 varieties); at least 5 pounds per 100
5. Potatoes (1 variety); at least 25 pounds per 100; half the people will take some. If this were my menu with rice and pasta, I would skip the potatoes and offer oven-roasted veggies, which can be made ahead and even served room temp, instead. Same weight.
6. Salads (Spring Mix and Roman Lettuce with 6 toppings such as bacon, onions, cucumber, tomatoes, parmesan cheese and croutons)

Make salad for 200 from the salad section of plan for 100.
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/quan100.html

Use topping amounts from the salad bar articles:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/saladbar.html

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpot/plan/saladbar100.html

Then add about 4 gallons of cole slaw, 2 gallons sliced pickles, and 12-15 pounds thin sliced onions- standard for BBQ's.

Some kind of bread or rolls- 10 pounds per 100 with all the starches, 2 pounds butter per 100.

Strongly suggest 1 crock pot full of vegetarian sausages for any non-meat eaters.

If this is a paid event, please make a donation, a quarter or .50 per person up to 100, to support this site. Thank you.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)