See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding for 150 people
Audrey
01/23/15
Hello Ellen. I LOVE your site and information. Thank you! :)
I am holding a wedding for about 150-200 people. I'm trying to keep it to roaster/crock pot items to make the prep/cooking easier. I'm thinking Pork roast, green chile, pinto beans, mixed veggies or Mashed potatoes, Rolls or tortillas, and we'll have chips and salsa. Is this enough food selection for a full plate, and which is most cost efficient, or any other ideas? I know I should have something for those that don't eat pork, so maybe a beef roast or chicken, but I'm worried people will take each, and those that don't eat pork will miss the alternative option. Thank you in advance for your time and help. :)
Audrey
01/23/15
Also, my budget is VERY tight. Thank you again. :)
ellen
01/24/15
Hi, Audrey,
I wonder if you would consider a menu shift? Any dinner that involves plated sliced meats is going to be fairly costly and yes, you do have to plan the second choice for those who don't eat meat, especially with pork. For budget and broader appeal, consider chicken.

Since you are headed in that direction anyway, what about a fiesta taco/nacho bar? Chips and a few fancy salsas on the tables- pico, corn/black bean, mango pineapple- flavored rice; beans, maybe even both refried and black or borracho; fajita chicken and taco meat; all the fixings; fruit trays; maybe nacho fixings as well. Aqua fresca as the punch in colorful pitchers on the tables. Costs no more than the roast meal.

Or use one of the make ahead chicken dishes on this site, again rice, veggies, salad, rolls; but add an appetizer table of fruit, cheese, and a dip with punch.

Does that idea appeal? Write back.

Audrey
01/27/15
Thank you! We have the pinto beans, and we'd be amiss to not have green chile with those beans. :) Maybe spanish rice? I like the idea of all the salsas and rice, I just thought the cost of the fixings (Lettuce, tomatoes, onion and shredded cheese) for a bar would be costly, especially cheese???? Could I do shredded chicken tacos, with corn tortillas (cheaper than flour), the salsas, the beans and chile and spanish rice? Would that be a better option than my original thought? We are not taking drinks, as the venue supplies that. Tell me if I totally missed the mark. :)
Audrey
01/27/15
Oh, and chips still.
ellen
01/27/15
Look at the taco bar for 100 with the nacho option on this site. Shredded cheese makes 4 cups for 1 pound and that costs $3 with careful shopping; much less than pork roast. Write back if needed.

Thigh meat is what you want for the chicken. i pound bone in makes a cup; 1 pound boneless makes 2 cups.

audrey
01/27/15
Thank you so much for your help. :)
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)