See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Protose
Laura

12/16/05
Now that Kellogg/Worthington no longer makes Protose, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good replacement. I don't really want to make it myself. I'm wondering if anyone's replaced it with the nut loafs by Cedar Lake or Vibrant Life. I use it only in a casserole dish.
ellen

12/17/05
Maybe our readers can help. I use the recipe I posted in the gliten/seitan section, you can make a lot at onve and freeze it- it is pretty easy...
Semelia
07/05/06
I am in the same situation as you, if you find any info please let me know.
ellen
07/07/06
Do please try the nut based recipe, it is a pretty good substitute. I have received a few older protose-type recipes but no time to test yet. Any volunteers?
Jim Merklin
08/16/06
I am so disappointed that NUMETE and NUTMEAT type products are no longer being produced. What happened? How can I find similar? Or, How can I replicate? Thanks
ellen
08/16/06
Jim, try the peanut butter loaf in the gluten/seitan section. The company was bought by a giant US food manufacturer, who discontinued the products.
Barry Estill
02/11/07
Protose. What does that conjure up for me?

You'd never guess.

The three most trusted people that Dr. J.H. Kellogg had working for him were three unmarried sisters: Gertrude, his chief administrator and executor of his will; Angie his chief dietician; and Mable his chief nurse and the one person who accompanied Kellogg to Ontario to attend the Dion quintuplets.

By the mid-1950's, the doctor long dead, the three unmarried sisters now running the Sanitarium in Miami Springs would spend the summers back up in Battle Creek at their farm in the country.

My grandfather was the brother to these three sisters and, dying young, my own father was raised by the sisters and Dr. Kellogg.

During the summers we would visit them three or four times for a weekend and invariably one of the meals was the most delicious "roast" made out of Protose. Once you've had it, especially the way they prepared it, you were hooked.

Collectively, they were the greatest cooks I've ever known. They could make a mayonnaise that would make my dad want to eat a whole batch in one sitting. In fact, I clearly remember my dad sitting in the kitchen waiting eagerly for Angie to finish making a fresh batch (it's the first thing she would do when we got there) and then he would pile at least a half-inch on top of a slice of bread. He said to me, with the gleefulness of a six year old at Christmas: "I only use the bread for a platform". He had mayonnaise all over his face.
At the time I thought it was gross, but now I make it myself all the time--it's a breeze. It doesn't taste anything like the aunts though,
which is a little irritating to me.

I understand Angie came out with a cookbook in the fifties called "Favorite receipes from Battle Creek-Miami Sanitarium".

I'd love to get my hands on that, and thanks for reminding me of Protose once again.

All the best.

Barry Estill
Romeo, Michigan

ellen
02/11/07
Barry, thank you for sharing this reminiscence. I will start looking for the cookbook.
Sherry Lewis
02/26/07
Where can I get the recipe for Protose and will they or any other company make it again?
ellen
02/28/07
Try the recipe I have already posted with the peanut butter. It is close.