See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Salads
Mary
02/14/14
I am planning a picnic for 80 people. Am wanting to do two salads, potato and a raspberry fluffy cool whip type salad. How much of each would I need? Am thinking 15-20 pounds of potatoes, but not sure about the raspberry fluffy salad.

Thank you!

ellen
02/14/14
a half cup each is 2 1/2 gallons- likely more than enough.

Unless you have several other side dishes, or light eaters, you might want to go 25 on the potatoes.

Mary
02/14/14
Shredded Chicken, Shredded Pork, Rolls, BBQ Sauce on the side, Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Raspberry Salad, Potato Chips, Pickles, Cookies and Brownies is the anticipated menu.
ellen
02/15/14
OK, the beans will balance out the potatoes.
Mary
02/15/14
Would you please scrutinize this if you have time, I would like an opinion if I'm headed in the right direction.
Picnic for 80 people, a church thank you for the helps ministry:
Shredded chicken - 20 lbs., Shredded pork - 20 lbs., BBQ sauce warm on the side - unknown quantity, Bush baked beans - 3 #10 cans, Potato Salad - 15 lbs., Raspberry fluff salad - 2 1/2 gallons, Potato chips - 7 lbs., Junior hamburger buns - 10 dozen, Pickles - unknown quantity, Mustard - 40 ounces, Mayo - 60 ounces, Lemon crackled cookies - 84 cookies, Brownies - sheet cake pan, M & M Cookies - 120 cookies, Lemonade - unknown quantity, Iced tea - unknown quantity

Would you have suggestions for the unknown quantities? Also, I'm not an iced tea drinker, is the real stuff better than the instant out of a jar? Any other comments or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you ever so much, Ellen!

ellen
02/15/14
You are doing fine- I recognize the raspberry fluff- here are a few tweaks

Shredded chicken - 20 lbs.,
Shredded pork - 20 lbs.,
15 each Would probably do it, since they are making sandwiches
BBQ sauce warm on the side - unknown quantity, 1/4 cup per person (2 ounces)

Bush baked beans - 3 #10 cans, OK
Potato Salad - 15 lbs., OK
Raspberry fluff salad - 2 1/2 gallons, OK

Potato chips - 7 lbs., OK
How about adding salsa or a dip, 1 pint per pound

Junior hamburger buns - 10 dozen, OK
Pickles - unknown quantity, 3 quarts
Add pounds thin sliced onions, soaked in the fridge in sugar water overnight
Mustard - 40 ounces, Mayo - 60 ounces, OK

Lemon crackled cookies - 84 cookies, ok
Brownies - sheet cake pan, ok. If someone is making these, ask them to put NO nuts in about 1/4 the pan, and plate them separately with a "No Nuts" sign.
M & M Cookies - 120 cookies, ok

Lemonade - unknown quantity, about 6 gallons, frozen concentrate is economical and tasty, slice up some lemons to float in it
Iced tea - unknown quantity- about 8 gallons, do 3-4 unsweetened
Yes the real stuff is much better- there is a simple to follow recipe on the beverage planning page.

Ice- 1/2 pound per person

Mary
02/21/14
Thank you for your help Ellen, the council approved the menu last night and gave me the go ahead and their blessing!
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)