See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

boxed scalloped potatoes in electric roaster
Dorothy
12/19/12
Wanting to make 4 boxes of scalloped potatoes in an electric roaster. I am wondering if I follow the directions on the box for the amounts of milk & water and cooking time or do have to change it what would the changes be?

Thank you
Dorothy

ellen
12/19/12
Yes, you can do this.

These pans work best whan at least 1/2 full. Not sure how big your boxes are; if much less than 1/2 (about 8 quarts total) consider using a casserole inside the roaster.

If using the roaster cooking pan directly, heavily coat the cooking pan with non-stick spray and dust with plain old grated Parmesan

Preheat the roaster to temp (20 minutes) before adding the potatoes in the cooking pan.

Expect that they won't get crispy on top or around the edges, and will probably be a little more moist/ slurpy than from a regular oven.

Cindy
01/21/20
Needing to make 3 large boxes (36 servings each) of Au Gratin potatoes in my big electric roaster. First question is ideas on enhancing the flavor? Also, at what temperature and how long to cook?
ellen
01/21/20
This is the right amount for 2 roasters (Actually 1 1/2, but...). In one roaster, too deep and therefore soggy and longer cooking.

To improve flavor, consider adding 2 pounds of shredded sharp cheddar per box and maybe some grated Parmesan, and then topping with canned French fried onions the last 1/2 hour of cooking. I usually add dried parsley, about 1 cup per roaster but some folks object to green anything in their potatoes.

Do see the notes above about prepping your roasters and remember that two roasters on the same circuit will blow most household circuits.

Patsy
02/24/20
I will be using two 18-22 qt electric roasters to cook boxed scalloped/au gratin potatoes, 40 c. per roaster. Once the roasters are prepped and preheated according to previous instructions, how long should I expect to cook that amount, using the butter, milk, water instructed on box?
Patsy
02/24/20
Heating canned, cut
I will be using
Patsy
02/24/20
Heating canned, cut
I will be using
Patsy
02/25/20
Heating canned green beans in 18 qt elec. roaster
What heat setting and how long to heat a full 18 qt electric roaster of canned green beans w/ bacon, please?
ellen
02/26/20
H, Patsy,

For the roaster potatoes, preheat the roaster at least 20 minutes at 350.
For success in the roaster potatoes, bring your liquids to a boil before pouring them over the other ingredients; this aids in re-hydrating the potatoes and melting the powdered cheese mix. Reduce the amount of water slightly, as there is little evaporation in roasters. You can always add a little more hot milk or melted butter later, to make it moister or cheesier.
Consider using real cream for part of the milk.
Allow an hour, bu use an instant read thermometer; the potatoes should be tender and 165 degrees in the middle of he pan. As soon as this occurs, turn the roaster to 180.
See this thread:
www.ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/9764.html

ellen
02/26/20
canned green beans with bacon in electric roaster
Now about the green beans:

Green Beans in Roaster for 100- VERY FULL ROASTER
5 #10 cans of Green Beans (Drain 4 cans)
2# to 4# Crisp Bacon cut in pieces. (Use real bacon, and save grease; look for "bacon ends and pieces" in 2-3 pound packages)
2 to 3 Large Onions, chopped (1 1/2 pounds)
Season to taste: Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt
Fry the bacon (remove bacon). Use the grease to sauté the onion. Remove the onion from the grease and place in separate container. Save the grease in another container.
Spray the roaster with Pam. Please DO NOT use the liners. Add the undrained can of Green Beans with Liquid and add a layer of Bacon, Onion, Grease, Salt, Pepper, & Garlic Salt. Then add each drained can of Green Beans layering with Bacon, Onion, Grease, Salt, Pepper, & Garlic Salt. Cook at 250 -300º for 1.5 -2 hours.
Stir occasionally.

If you start with thawed frozen green beans, allow 3 to 4 hours.

And don't forget you MUST put separate roasters on separate circuits or you blow the circuit and stop cooking.

You can write back. If I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the siye. Thank you.

Thanks to [Search domain bnacchurch.org/Websites/bloomingtonacchurch/images/Kitchen/Green_Beans.pdf]

Kim
07/03/21
I need to make instant augratin potatoes for a baby shower for 125 people but I want them in 1 roaster how long to cook a roaster full of instant potatoes
Greg Conkling
10/16/23
I am making Basic American Foods scalloped potatoes for about 80 people. Each container will serve 44. The instructions are to add 5 quarts of boiling water to the the potatoes. And 4 ounces of butter.
I have 2 Nesco 18 quart Roasters
Any suggestions on:
Should I use 2 roasters
What Temperatures and How long
Should we add any cream or milk
Will the potatoes brown
Thanks for your help
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)