See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Bisquick zeppole
Sam
09/26/12
My mother.. In her 70s has been talking about these zeppoles my grandmother made for her on Friday night since I was a kid... We have even tried to make them.. But something was always missing.. I'd like to hunt down this recipe for her and hope you can help..
What I know..
-Bisquick was used..
-My mother says it must have eggs in it because she was allowed to eat it for dinner
-It was a batter not a dough.. That puffed up when cooking..
Hope you can help! Thanks!!
ellen
09/27/12
These are a regional fritter or fried dough which has many variations and recipes. ZEPPOLE, KEGAL OR LEBESHKA (FRIED DOUGH).

Here is a quote from a 1996 article in the Houston Chronicle that referenced zeppoles:
" Zeppoles are deep-fried Italian doughnut balls covered with powdered sugar. I went nuts. These were the best doughnuts I ever ate. And I know my doughnuts.

I called the host of an Italian cooking show and asked if she knew how to make zeppoles at home. Lucky me: She had a prized recipe handed down by her grandmother in the old country.

I grabbed a pen. I had to buy special flour, vanilla, shortening, eggs, lemons, olive oil and about a dozen more exotic ingredients. The supermarket bill was $30.

The zeppoles were horrible. They didn't taste anything like the ones at the street festival. I had a $30 bill, a messy kitchen and soggy doughnuts that went in the garbage.

The next year I went back to the Italian street festival. I asked the zeppoles man: ""How do you make these things? They're fantastic!"

He said, ""It's just Bisquick cooked in Wesson oil."

Sometimes it is just Bisquick, fried. This recipe would be better for dinner:

ZEPPOLE
1 c. Bisquick
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 c. Ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Corn oil for frying

Good and easy donut.

Beat eggs slightly; add remaining ingredients except oil. Beat gently until combined. Batter will be sticky.

Drop by half tablespoons (push off batter with another spoon) into deep oil heated to 375°F. Fry a few at a time; until zeppole turn over by themselves and are golden brown, about 3 minutes.

If made larger, drop the oil temp to about 350 so they get done through before getting too brown.

Drain on paper towels and roll in cinnamon sugar or confectioners' sugar.

Lina
07/22/13
Omg that is a good recipe
ellen
07/22/13
Glad you like it.
cherie
10/27/13
yummy
Nina
03/29/14
good
ngalteri
04/06/14
really good!
Patty Paradowski
08/30/15
Made these years ago when our children were young, glad I found the recipe again.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)