Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
cooking ahead and freezing
Teresa Darian
11/15/11
I need to make a meal out of town in a hotel kitchenette for my extended family of 30. Would it be better to cook teriyaki chicken at home and freeze it in the sauce then reheat in an electric roaster a few days later when it has time to thaw first, or would you freeze it in the sauce/marinade and then try to cook it in the electric roaster oven (no oven in kitchenette)? Bear in mind these kitchenettes usually have two or three burners a small microwave and not much power.
ellen
11/15/11
Is there a particular reason to do teriyaki chicken? There are other dishes better for roaster cooking?
Teresa Darian
11/15/11
I was thinking of a sauce that kids would like and that would keep the chicken moist. Open to suggestions for sure. There are lots of young teens and a few younger ones plus adults. YThe other meals are beef and pork.
ellen
11/15/11
This may make you laugh, but what about plain old chicken fricasee/chicken and gravy? You fry up the chicken ahead, refrigerate, and make a lot of gravy. To serve, heat up the gravy and chicken, simmer as long as you need to (it holds very nicely); this can be done in an electric roaster or in the oven. Make a baked rice pilaf. Do the veggies on top of the stove.
Teresa Darian
11/16/11
Thanks I'll give it a whirl!

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design