Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
beef stew
Harrilyn
01/18/11
We need a receipe for beef stew to serve 300 people. I need some kind of guide lines on amounts. We want to use hamburger and beef cubed.
ellen
01/18/11
I would use 90=115 pounds of raw boneless meat and the veggies, etc to go with that; the larger amount if it is self serve/ buffet or mostly men or heavy eaters.

Approximate:
Potatoes 40-50 pounds
carrots 30 pounds
celery 14 pounds
onions 10 pounds
tomatoes 9-10 quarts

stock 6-7 gallons

thyme bay leaf, garlic to tastesalt pepper

About 3 quarts of flour

Minh
01/24/11
Can you recommend a good beef stew recipe? I am feeding a church crowd of about 100 people and looking for ideas. Thanks.

P.S. Great website! Thank you!

ellen
01/25/11
My favorite beef stews are the Greek "stifados" with recipes in the recipe box section of the site. They are a little out of the ordinary.

If you want a standard beef stew, the main things when making a large quantity are to brown the meat well and use a really good beef stock or onion stock instead of water as the liquid; some red wine doesn't hurt either, if it is within the acceptable range for your group. Beyond that, the recipe above isn't bad; I would add paprika and Italian seasoning to the flour I used to coat the meat before browning.

ellen
01/25/11
Of course, you would use 1/3, since those amounts are for 300...
ellen
01/25/11
By the way, stews can be cooked in pans in the oven; 2 hours, tightly covered in a 375 degree oven. Sometimes more convenient, no scorching and no stirring. Check about 1/2 hour before done, if too juicy, take the cover off

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design