Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Nesco 12 qt Convection Oven
Jocelyn Alldredge
04/16/10
I just found your site, it's awesome! Thanks.

I'm tying to convert a recipe from oven baking toa 12 qt nesco. I need to sear 4 to 6 - 1" thick center loin chops sprinkled with paprika, then top with 1 cup uncooked rice, a 1# can of diced tomatoes (drained, reserving juice), 1 sliced (into rings) green pepper, 1 lg onion also sliced into rings. Top with reserved juice diluted with water to equal 1-2 cups liquid. Seal and cook @ 350 for 1 hour.

Can I sear the chops @ 425 with the fan on, then turn off the fan and reduce to 350 for the rest?
Will the rice cook?

ellen
04/16/10
The Nesco has its coils around the side and the one thing it doesn't do too well is brown/sear. I would do that in a frying pan. The rest can definitely be done in the Nesco. However, it is not a large enough volume to cook directly in the pan. Put it in a casserole dish that will fit in the Nesco, preheat the Nesco, and treat it like a regular oven.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design