Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
wedding reception
lisa
02/19/10
I am planning a wedding reception for approx. 175 people.

I am considering baked ham, salad, green beans, potatoes and bread.

How would I fix the potatoes or is there an easier menu to fix?

Thank you

ellen
02/19/10
Baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes or cheesy hash browns would all fit this menu and are easy to prepare. Mashed potatoes are also an option.
Mary Nierlich
03/13/10
We are making the food for our daughters wedding reception, and need to know how to keep bonless ham, hot,..any suggestions?
How would I make a broth for it?
ellen
03/13/10
There are several good soup bases that are "ham base". My favorite is made by "better than broth". High end groceries and most restaurant supply stores carry this.
Penny
03/16/10
We are wanting to have pork loin at a wedding reception. What foods would we serve with it?
ellen
03/16/10
Penny, this depends a lot on how many people and what type of kitchen, what range of budget, also whether this is plated or buffet. Write back.
Penny
03/16/10
This will be for approx. 175 people, I would be preparing everything but the pork loin in a normal kitchen and it will be buffet. I really don't have a set budget but would not want anything real expensive.
ellen
03/16/10
Penny, IMO this is not a possible entree choice for a regular kitchen for this many people. One regular kitchen can do a buffet for 60 people with care and good planning, definitely not 175.

You have several options;

1) reduce the guest list to 60-80
2) have a portion of the menu drop off catered (the company delivers but does not set up or serve.)
3) Schedule the ceremony for 1 PM or 7 PM so you can do a reception-type or dessert buffet reception, not a full meal.
4) Change the menu. Could be a simple Tex Mex buffet or something like the champagne lunch for 25 (do 7 times the amounts), where most of the foods are cold or room temp and are prepared ahead.
5) Rent a licensed commercial kitchen (might be at a church or school) and deal with storage and transport of the food.

W

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design