Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Taco bar in 3 days for 40-50 people
J. Meyer
10/06/08
I have borrowed a friends electric roasting pan and plan on using it. However the taco meat will have to simmer for 3-4 hours while we are at a football game and I'm not sure how much water and seasoning to use for such a large amount. I'm running out of time, can you help? Thanks.
ellen
10/07/08
See this page for taco seasoning.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex1.html

Use 85% lean- regular will leave way too much fat on the meat.

Set at 220 degrees. Add a couple quarts of beef broth, enough that it is moist when you leave. Take the top off and turn the heat to 350-400 to dry it out if you need to, or remove to serving bowls with a slotted spoon.

Kelly
01/05/09
I am planning my son's 1st birthday party and decided to go with a taco bar. I am planning on 40 people because it seems no one knows how to RSVP anymore...So, I have researched and it seems that most sites say about 16 lbs of ground beef for about three tacos per person (40 people). Does this sound right to you? Also, I have no clue how much to buy when it comes to the toppings (cheese, lettuce, onions, sour cream, ect.) Could you give me a ball park on that too? Thanks for your help!
ellen
01/06/09
I can do better than a ballpark. Using the table on the baked potato bar page, you can figure any topping you plan- the amounts are pretty much exactly the same per person for tacos and baked potatoes. 100.Use a scany 1/2 of the amount for With 40 people, I would be very comfortable with about 13 pounds of meat. You might cook it ahead, bag in 1 or 2 pound freezer bags, refrigerate and only warm up about 12 pounds- if you need more, microwave it a baggie at a time as needed. If not, into thee freezer for future home dinners.

Don't miss my home made taco seasoning on the taco salad page, it will save you many dollars.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design