See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

meat and cheese trays
Mary
Dickeysunshine@AOL.com
05/15/04
Help. I need to make a meat and cheese trays,and veg.and dip trays for 150 people. I don't know how. I need to know how much of everything, and how to put to gether fast.And some good recipes for dips. THANK YOU.
ellen

05/15/04
Mary,

If your party is over a meal time, lunch or dinner, you will use twice as much as mid afternoon or later evening.

You can only leave meat or cheese out for 2 hours, plan your trays by this.

The info on veggie trays is at ellenskitchen/bigpots/plan/appesalad.html. 2 ounces per person; 300 ounces is about 20 pounds. Get vegs, florets, etc at Sams or Costco. Ranch dressing as the main dip.

Lots of other quantity info on the appetizers planning page.

A really good dish- while at SAMS/ Costco, stop in and get a couple jars of the marinated artichokes and mushrooms, drain and rinse, add back fresh Italian dressing.

Meat and cheese, check out the entrees page. Cheese, about 7 pounds per 100 people, 3-4 different kinds, including one soft or log, one cheddary, one strong flavored.

You will use the least meat if it is cubes of ham or salami or other hard sausage, thin shaved slices second least (8 people per pound). One you get into thicker slices

ellen

05/15/04
continued, see the sandwich page, it uses a LOT more meat. Have a happy party. Ellen
Mary Dickey

06/02/04
Thank You for help. But I need to know how much meat of each meat.I have three meats and three cheese's per tray. I need to make trays up for 150 people.So how many ponds of each meat and cheese. I think you're telling me a total of 10 1/2 pounds of meat and cheese. But is this 10 1/2 ponds of each meat and each cheese, or 10 1/2 ponds total of the meat and 10 1/2 pounds total of the cheese? And how many trays will I need? Thank You Mary
ellen

06/02/04
About 10 1/2 pounds of cheese.

Meat depands on how what time the party is and it is used. If you serve little rolls to make sandwiches, you want 1 pound of deli shaved meat for 10 little sandwiches, about 6 pounds EACH of 3 kinds of deli meat.

Hope this helps.

Brenda
eventsplanner@sympatico.ca
04/07/05
how many sandwiches
125 guest attending an evening function. Evening party "Jack N Jill" night for future bride and groom. Games, Karioke, dancing, drinking. How many sandwiches should I make. We will have pickles, cheese, cake, squares, etc. My problem I need guidance on how many loaves of bread would be needed to make sandwiches. Thank you.
Brenda
ellen

04/08/05
Hi, Brenda, sounds like a nice party.

Making sandwiches is very time consuming, you have problems with them drying out and you cannot freeze or reuse leftovers. I strongly encourage you to use a sandwich buffet with baskets of bread and rolls and trays of meat and cheese. You need 9-12 pounds of bread/rolls for each 100 people. For sandwiches, 8 pounds of cheese if they slice themselves, 7 if presliced in sandwich slices per 100 people (If it were for stand-alone cheese trays you would be wanting 20+ pounds). meats vary as above, but please see my sandwich party page in the Big Pots planning section for full info and for recipes for many lower cost sandwich spreads.

Check these pages:
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/appetizer.html
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/sandwich100.html

Pat
golfball@snet.net
05/09/05
I plan on having a graduation party for our daughter at 2:00pm and was going to go the route of a meat and cheese platter. I was going to have ham, turkey, and salami, roast beef, american cheese, swiss cheese, provolone cheese. Would you kindly tell me how much of each that I should purchase for 50 people?
ellen

05/11/05
Teens eat more than anyone else! Check the plan fo 100 page and the sandwich page in the Big Pots Planning section, and divide by 2, then add 10% for your fudge factor. Get really good bread and rolls!
irene Garnica-Henriq
jacobnat1@peoplepc.com
06/05/05
how much meat do you need make carne asada tacos f
I have just started a catering business. it's called tacos on wheels i will be making carne asada tacos on the small tortilla i would like to know how many lbs i need for 100 people
ellen

06/06/05
2 ounces cooked and shredded per taco is common and generous, 7 tacos per raw lean pound. 1 1/2 ounces ground cooked, 9 or 10 per raw chuck (85% lean) pound. I don't know how many tacos you consider a serving.
Carolyn Chandler
www.chandlerw003@hawaii.rr.com
06/13/05
shiskabob's
Ellen
We are making Shiskabob's with steak and chicken
and bell peppers. For Father's day in the evening for 100 people. How much meat and bell peppers do we need? Also can the wood Kabob sticks be barbqued with out burning?
Carolyn
ellen

06/13/05
Soak the bbq sticks in plain water overnight before adding the food and you will have very little problem with burning sticks. The meat depends on the sides, but you want 6-8 pounces raw lean meat total for the amount- I would use 8 ounces since the party will have plenty of men, but you could go with six if there will be heavy sides and quite a few kids. Bell peppers is a tougher call, since it depends on how big you cut the squares, but about 5 people per pound of fresh bell peppers.

If you don't have too many helpers, you might consider fajitas- same basic flavors, no skewers.

This is an excellent menu to make roasted veggies with onion chunks, tiny carrots, summer squashes, potato slices, etc. And you don't have to put them on skewers!

Sharon
sbalcombe62@hotmail.com
07/18/05
soft tacos
Hi Ellen,
For Vacation Bible School this week, I have to fix soft tacos for 30 children, 30 adults. How many pounds ground beef do I need to make say 100 tacos?
cyndi
cbosworth@rcap.com
08/01/05
I am trying to make 500 sandwiches for a company function (united way) kick off...would like to put one type of meat and one type of cheese on each Kaiser roll...Approx how many pounds of meat and how many pounds of cheese would you purchase for 500 sandwiches? thanks
ellen

08/03/05
The Ellenskitchen.com bulletin board was clobbered by over 100 servers spewing online gambling spam on July 22 and it has taken almost 2 weeks to get my end back up. Thanks for helping each other in the meantime. So sorry!

JJ and Cyndi- two to 5 ounces meat, 1 to 1 1/2 ounces cheese depending on whether it is 2 slices of bologna on white bread or or 4-6 ounces of shaved deli meat on afat roll. Check the quantity tables and the sandwich planning page in Big Pots.