See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

300 people
Kandace
04/23/07
I am helping with my daughters school athletic booster club awards dinner. I need to know how many pounds of uncooked brisket to buy for 300 people. I also need to know how much to serve them when it is cooked.
ellen
04/24/07
Brisket is a fatty meat that shrinks, I buy 1 pound raw for each 2 people or at least 2 pounds for each 5 people. This will give a 4 ounce cooked serving.
Kandace
05/02/07
Is the 4oz serving for 1 pound for 2 people or 2 pounds for 5 people? I quess what I need to know is what percent of the pound is left after cooking a brisket?
ellen
05/02/07
40 to 50% shrinkage is common with brisket. If cooked on very low heat (such as 225 for 6-10 hours, shrinks somewhat less.
Lisa
05/11/07
I am setting up for a bike tour for 300 and am serving bagels and fruit before the tour, Gatorade at rest stops along with bottled water. How many bagels and how much fruit do we need? How many gallons of gatorade do you think for 300 people?
ellen
05/11/07
Lots of bikers carbo load. I would allow 3 to 4 halves per person, plus two full pieces of fruit or equivalents (such as 1/4 cantaloup, 2 plums, 3 apricots, etc). Also take a look at my power bar/protein bar recipes.

Beverages depends on length of tour, at least 1 liter/fluid per person per hour. I don't know what the water vs. Gatorade split would be for your group; it varies a LOT.

Laureen
05/13/07
I am helping with a benefit bike ride,dinner and dance. The menu is pulled BBQ with potatoe salad, baked beans and mac and cheese. I'm in charge of the mac and cheese it's possible there will be 300 people. How many of the large buffet pans (approx. 11x24)will I need to fix, and how much macaroni and cheese do I need to buy. Thanks so much. I've never cooked for this large of a group.
ellen
05/13/07
Check out the simple cheese sauce in the mac and cheese for a crowd recipe, quantity guidance and pan size. You can enrich with extra cheese, Parmesan or Asiago or Romano for flavor, jack for creamy quality.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/macche25.html

It takes about 8-10 pounds of dry pasta and about 3 gallons of sauce to make 80 cups of pasta casserole, which is about right for 100. Those pans vary in depths, they hold around 3 gallons, so it takes 3 to make for 100. You could go with the 8 pounds since you have two other carbs- beans and potatoes.

Rose
05/16/07
I am planning a brunch for my daughter's wedding. We are expecting 300 people. The menu includes chicken crepes, spinach bites, pita egg salad sandwiches, fruit trays, quick breads, roasted potatoes and roasted tomatoes. Can you please give me an estimate of how much of everything I should have? I expect the food line to be ready at 11AM. It will be mid July, al fresco. This is the largest group I've ever cooked for.
ellen
05/16/07
Rose, please read the article on selfcatering your wedding. Ths is very large party for self- catering and you need help.
You want 1 1/2 pounds of food per person. You can check the fruit tray page for your fruit amounts. You want 35 pounds of potatoes per 100 people, about the same for tomatoes, 1 loaf of quickbread for each 8 persons (two ounces), 4-5 spinach bites, 2 crepes, 1/2 pita sandwich. I would suggest you serve the egg salad in bowls or molds, let people make their own, and add a green salad- spring greens or spinach.