See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Beef tips for 100-recipe
ellen
11/25/16
Juan, your email returned, here is the recipe:

Ingredients

Nonstick spray for pans
30 pounds lean sirloin tips
2 tablespoons salt, pepper to taste
1 cup vegetable oil
4 pounds onions, diced (can do more)
10 bell peppers diced
7 1/2 quarts beef broth
120 ounces mushrooms, drained
2 1/2 cups cold water
2 1/2 cups flour
10 pints Sour Cream
May garnish with paprika

Directions

Cut the meat into 1-inch cubes; salt and pepper to taste. Spray oven-proof casseroles or steam pans with lids, with nonstick cooking spray. Add oil to the pan on the stove top. Brown the meat in the oil. Add the chopped onions and bell peppers to beef and sauté lightly. Then add the beef broth and the drained mushrooms to the meat mixture. Cover the pans and bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 40-50 minutes. Mix the water and the flour; stir into the beef mixture, dividing for the pans. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Stir and check thickening. If thickened, remove from the oven. Stir in the sour cream until incorporated. Serve over cooked rice or noodles.

Does not reheat easily! Very low oven covered.

ellen
11/25/16
Hope this helps!
ellen
11/27/16
Of course you can sub some red wine and/or sherry for part of the beef broth/consomme. A little dried thyme- nutmeg- fresh chopped parsley.
Katharine
11/30/16
I need to make some pre-made meals for reheating later (fresh, not frozen). Could I make this dish up to the point of adding the sour cream to make it easier for reheating. The people I give it to can reheat and then add the sour cream? Is that why it doesn't reheat easily?
ellen
11/30/16
Yes, good thinking!
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)