See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Parents/ toddler birthday
santiago
10/26/15
Ellen,

I love your site. For 10 years, I've lived in a teeny tiny house. Well my wife and I have scrimped and saved, and finally bought a bigger house. We are ready to entertain. We are looking to have a daytime birthday party for our soon to be three-year-old, involving 20 kids and 30 adults. I'm planning on doing 50 all beef hotdogs, chips, my special chili sauce, cheese and condiment bar (self serve) and cake. The particular hot dogs and condiments are tested, approved, and solid choices with kids and close family.

However, some of the adults we invited do not eat beef and I'm looking for an extra main course that is easy to bbq or oven bake. Any ideas?

I'll also throw in a big fruit salad as a side for adults and kids. I know it sounds a little much but we are repaying 10 years of going to other people's partys and never hosting our own party. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you so much!

ellen
10/28/15
Congratulations! I bought my first house this year also.

If the non-beef eaters are chicken eaters, Aidell chicken sausages are absolutely delicious. If they are vegetarian, Field Roast sausages are a fine meatless sausage sub. That way you can stay in the hot dog theme.

About the hot dogs, though; unless these are the 4 ounce giant fat ones, please allow 2 per adult- you could hold off opening a package or two until you see how it is going, but you don't want to run out. If they are the giant fat ones, get 4-8 extra.

I would definitely add slaw or a big green salad, about 1/3 the amount for 100 from the plan for 100 table. Maybe a.lso tiny carrots and ranch, most kids really like them, 2-3 packages.

How about some salsa or dip for those chips? AboUt 2 quarts.

I would consider adding a large crock full of some kind of beans, or possibly a gallon and a half of a marinated bean or marinated mixed veg salad.

Happy birthday and happy housewarming.

santiago
10/28/15
Your suggestions are awesome. Thank you Ellen!
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)