See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding reception menu for 200
Laura
03/30/15
Hi, I'am having a wedding reception for about 200 guests. Here is what we have in mind as the menu..

Rotisserie chicken
Brisket or Roast Beef
Mac n Cheese
Mashed potatoes
pasta salad or veggies
green salad
Rolls

I'm really stumped on the chicken and beef. I don't know exactly how much meat and chicken to buy?

ellen
03/30/15
Allow 1 chicken per 10 people plus 2 pounds brisket per 5. Brisket is a coarse, fatty meat that shrinks a lot when cooked. Regular roast beef, 1 pound per 2.

Please seriously consider adding an appetizer plan, and here is why.

A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area serves about 100 guests.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)