See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Engagement Party
lue
02/10/15
I'm throwing an engagement party for my daughter and her fiance. There will be 52 adults altogether. She wants hot wings and reg. fried wings, he wants potato salad, and I threw in meatballs and shrimp cocktail and rolls. we'll have a vegetable tray and two cheese balls that another family member is making. Along with some desert. my question is, are wings, shrimp cocktail and meatballs a good combination? my other question is how much do i need to purchase for 52 adults?
ellen
02/10/15
What time does the party start and how long will it last? This affects amounts. Write back.
Lue
02/11/15
it will begin at 5pm and end at 8pm
ellen
02/12/15
Engagement Party for 52
OK, so this has to be enough food per person to make dinner- I am going to suggest a few tweaks and fill ins to keep the meat costs down.

hot wings-1 pound per 3 people
reg. fried wings- 2 per person
meatballs- 7 pounds, 2 quarts sauce

shrimp cocktail- most economical way to serve this is Mexican style, in a cup/glass with the sauce already on it, and chopped avocado and other tasty bites added. This recipe will make 8 servings if cupped:
allrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-lime-shrimp-salad-ensalada-de-camarones-con-aguacate-y-limon/

Potato salad- 2 gallons, about 18 pounds potatoes

Consider adding 10-12 pounds roasted veg, can be served Italian style at room temp:

No fuss Oven-Roasted Italian Vegetables

Prep Time 10 min
Total Time 40 min
Servings 50

Ingredients

6 cups baby-cut carrots (3 pounds)

6 cups fresh whole mushrooms (1 1/2 pounds)

12 medium onions, cut into 1-inch wedges (12 cups, 4 pounds)

6 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (6 cups)

6 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 1-inch slices (6 cups)

6 cups broccoli crowns or cauliflower florets;

If you weren't having potato salad, you could use/ add 18 small red potatoes, cut into fourths (6 cup)

3 cups Italian dressing

Coat 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, toss vegetables with dressing. Spread vegetables in single layer in pan.
Bake uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
Sprinkle the hot roasted veggies with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a combo of chopped toasted nuts and sliced green onions.

Another option would be 4 9x13 pans of broccoli rice casserole

rolls- 2 per person

vegetable tray
two cheese balls
need 3 pounds crackers

ellen
02/12/15
If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thank you.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)