See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

My Daughter Wedding
Annette Fussell
01/07/15
How many do I need to.. bake beans,Potatoes I need to salad, baby back rids,steaks,rolls I need for the wedding
ellen
01/07/15
Annette, this is a tough to do menu for a large crowd, because the steaks require heavy time of service attention. How many people are you expecting? Write back.
annette
01/07/15
Maybe 150 to 200
annette
01/07/15
Maybe 150 to 200
ellen
01/08/15
OK. Are you planning to grill day of? This is a tough way- will take 3 people at the grill in addition to 3 in the kitchen and 10-12 out front to set up, serve and clean up this size party. They will not be at the wedding, either- they will be cooking.

You will need 3 serving lines or 2 double sided serving lines, and someone should serve the meat.

baked beans, 4 #10 cans (3 gallons) per 100
Potatoes, 40-45 pounds per 100. Could be an entree alternative for any non-meat eaters (with 200 guests you will have some) if offered loaded or scalloped. See the baked potato bar page for help.

salad, use the plan for 100 table for salad and dressings

baby back ribs, 1/2 pound per person
steaks, PLEASE consider switching to brisket, which can be done ahead, sliced and reheated, or roast beef, ditto. 1/2 pound raw boneless per person for brisket, roast or steak.

rolls- 12 pounds per 100, 3 pounds butter per 100.

You need a beverage plan. See the beverage planning page. If iced tea, have 1/3 unsweetened. Do plan for dinner level coffee with the cake.

You also need an appetizer plan and here is why:

A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped, particularly with a complex entree. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception. For a BBQ, consider the classic relish tray with pickles and olives.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch (8 gallons per 100), or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits. Thanks.

One appetizer service area serves each 100 guests.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)