See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Meatballs and Sausage in Sauce
Frankie Bea
12/19/14
I am cooking for a crowd of 25 can I use my Roaster oven to cook in and prepare the night before and slow cook overnight. I will bake my meat balls and fry my sausage to prepare my spaghetti sausage then add it all to the roaster. Also can I cut my sausage links in half? Thanks for you help>
ellen
12/19/14
The roaster should do fine with that and yes, you can cut the links into pieces, it lets people take some of each, which they like. Slow cook covered in the roaster is 185-200 degrees.
Frankie Bea
12/19/14
Thank you so much, I was really stressed we will eat at 3:oo on Christmas Day, I plan to prepare this around 6:00 Will it be ok to cook that long. I am cooking 9 lbs of spaghetti can I keep it warm in the warming trays with the burners underneath. I have 3 large pots but as they cook I will put them in this for people to serve themselves. Thank you again have a wonderful Christmas, You are now on my Favorite list. Thank you
ellen
12/20/14
Keep the heat low and the sauce covered.

9 pounds is a lot of spaghetti for 25 people unless they are huge eaters, it makes over 70 cups; usual is 1 pound per 4.

The trays will work with these cautions. They must stay covered. They take about 40 minutes to heat up unless you use boiling water in the under trays. You nee to drain and lightly oil the spaghetti to hold it, see the spaghetti page.

If this has saved you time, trouble, or money, please lake a donation, maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thank you. usual is 1 pound per 4.

Frankie
01/26/15
Christmas is over and with a huge success. THe roaster took 70 meatballs and 30 sausages. I have to make an extra pan of sauce. 10 lbs of spaghetti and 31 people later, "Not a morsel left." Thanks for all you help with the roaster.
However, Won't do that again. sticking to Turkey and Ham.

THANK YOU again and yes I will donate, this is a great service.

Frankie
06/16/15
Sausages
I have some about 1 1/2 dozen uncooked sausages from Christmas that I did not use. I unthawed them and they look good no freezer burn or smell. Is it alright after six months to use them in my spaghetti
sauce. Thanks Will look for your answere.
ellen
06/16/15
Yes, just use soon after thawing, and expect minor flavor change in garlic or onion.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)