See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding Reception for 125 adults
Kathy
07/24/14
We are preparing the food for my son's wedding in mid August.We are planning to have an appetizer table with BBQ meatballs-25#,Cajun Shrimp-25#,Sliced Meat and Cheese,Veggie and Fruit trays prepared by local deli.There will be smoked oysters and oysters shooters on the bar. We also will have a separate kids table with hot dogs, chips, watermelon, juice boxes and sugar cookies
For Dinner which will be buffet style:
Marinated Flank Steak-70 pounds; Cajun Chicken Fettuccini, your green been casserole-25#
Cesear salad,"olive garden" Italian green salad, cheesy potatoes-50# rolls/butter. Dessert will be wedding cake and mini cheesecakes. How much chicken fettuccini do you think we need? Do our other portions look about right? Thanks so much for your help.
ellen
07/24/14
Sounds very tasty. Amounts are very close.

appetizer table with
BBQ meatballs-25#, 15 enough, 4 1/2-5 quarts sauce
Cajun Shrimp-25#, good
Cocktail/dipping sauce? 1 cup per 5-6
Sliced Meat and Cheese, 1 ounce each per person
8 pounds crackers
Veggie trays- about 10 pounds ready to eat veg
Fruit trays- about 16 pounds fruit

smoked oysters and oysters shooters on the bar- this depends very much on the taste of your crowd- I don't like smoked oysters and thus never fool with them- if the shooters are fresh raw, you might expect 2 per person!

Kids table
hot dogs, chips, watermelon, juice boxes and sugar cookies
Is this for appetizers or for dinner?

Marinated Flank Steak-70 pounds; OK
Cajun Chicken Fettuccini, about 10 pounds pasta and everything else in proportion

green been casserole-25#

Caesar salad, do 3/4 the amount for 100 on the plan for 100 page- tells croutons and Parm also
"olive garden" Italian green salad, do 2/3 the amount for 100, including dressings, on the plan for 100 page

cheesy potatoes-50# - OK, none left

rolls/butter- get good crusty rolls, 2 small or 1 1/2 larger per person, about 4 pounds butter

wedding cake
mini cheesecakes- almost everyone will have some, and if you have 2 flavors, most people will have one of each.

Feel free to write back. If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Kathy
07/24/14
Thanks so much. Big sigh that we are on the right page. I agree about the oysters, but many of our guests love them. We live on Willapa Bay which is one of the nation's leading producers of fresh oysters. Personally, I think they are disgusting :). The kids table is dinner of sorts.
Some of the kids may take appetizers or some may also want something from the dinner buffet. I am thinking we will have about 2 dozen kids so not a big deal either way. I was happy to post a donation for your assistance. Thanks again. Wish us luck!
ellen
07/26/14
Great good fortune, and schedule yourself a spa day the next day. Consider hiring a local church teen group for clean up.
Kathy
08/10/14
Ellen
I am a little worried about the amount of Cajun chicken alfredo. Different things I have read say about 4 oz per person. The recipe (one of the kid's recipes) calls for four 5oz chicken breasts and a pound of fettucini noodles. Do I figure 4 oz pp of the fettucini noodles alone, and then multiply the recipe for the alfredo sauce?

If so, 4 oz X 25 people=500oz/16=31.25 lbs of pasta.
20oz of chicken breasts per pound (according to recipe)= 20 oz per lb X 32 lbs= 640 oz/16 oz per lb=40 pounds of chicken breasts.

You suggested 10 pounds of pasta. I am a little confused....

Help! One more week till the blessed event...it will be beautiful, but mom is wondering why the heck we volunteered to do all the food :) Feeling a little stressed.

Thanks for your help!

ellen
08/10/14
Check your math. 4 ounces is 1/4 pound. 1/4 pound times 25 is 25/4 or 6 1/4 pounds. 4 ounces times 25 is 100 ounces, not 500.
1 1/4 pounds chicken for each 1 pound noodles is about 7 pounds 10 ounces for 6 1/4 pounds noodles. or 15 pounds chicken for 10 pounds noodles.

I suggest 10 pounds because some grownups will take some-

Deep breaths. Yes. self catering is hard. Mom gets a spa day after!

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)