See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Farm Reception for 150
Sue
07/18/14
We are having a late afternoon reception for 150 one week after my niece's wedding. The party starts at 4:00 with light snacks to hold people over. I'm thinking 4 lbs. of seasoned pretzels, 6 lbs. of tortilla chips with 1 gallon of salsa, 2 large fruit trays with cream cheese dip. I think there will be late comers so I don't anticipate all 150 people there at 4:00!
Around 5:30 we are serving buffet style. I have already cooked brisket and carnitas and have 15 lbs cooked, ready to eat of each. We are also having 75 grilled chicken thighs, 75 pc of fried chicken, and 75 pc of baked chicken. Many guests are vegetarian.

We are trying to capitalize on fresh produce from the garden so our sides are numerous and varied rather than having a large quantity of 3 or 4 salads. I have planned for
-45 lbs. of Red Skinned Potato Salad (150 serv)
-10 heads of romaine & 10 iceberg for Italian Chopped Salad (100-120 serv)
-5 heads of cabbage for Ramen Noodle Slaw (60 serv)
-8 heads of broccoli for Broccoli Salad with Grapes (50 serv)
-Lebanese Tabouleh Salad using 12 c. wheat and lots of cukes, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, red onion (50 serv)
-Black Bean, Corn, Pepper Salad using 12 cans of black beans (50 serv)
-Hungarian Cauliflower Salad (50 serv)
-Tomato and Peach Salad (has cannellini beans)using 16 fresh peaches and 16 tomatoes (50 serv)
-Blueberry and Kale Grain Salad (50 serv)
-288 Fresh Corn Cakes
-8 Veggie Pizzas using crescent rolls
-Watergate Salad (80 serv)
-Cucumbers and Onions using about 20 cukes
-6 seedless watermelons
-200 Hawaiian Rolls, 4 lbs. butter

There will be 12 fruit pies, dozens of cookies, and at least 4 10x15 sheet cakes

I'll be honest -- I've done a lot of family get-togethers, but nothing like this! The amounts are staggering, but I've got great help so I'm not worried about putting it together. I'm just worried about my amounts! How are we looking?

ellen
07/18/14
This sounds really good. You have plenty of meat, will probably have some chicken left.

One caution; these salads should be refrigerated once made, you may need to borrow refrigerator space, or have a lot of big ice chests and lots of ice.

-45 lbs. of Red Skinned Potato Salad (150 serv)-OK
-10 heads of romaine & 10 iceberg for Italian Chopped Salad (100-120 serv)-OK, but you could probably half it and still have plenty
-5 heads of cabbage for Ramen Noodle Slaw (60 serv)-OK
-8 heads of broccoli for Broccoli Salad with Grapes (50 serv)-OK
-Lebanese Tabouleh Salad using 12 c. wheat and lots of cukes, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, red onion (50 serv)-OK; I like a lot of fresh parsley added to mine...
-Black Bean, Corn, Pepper Salad using 12 cans of black beans (50 serv)- you only need about 10 if the corn is and equal amount
-Hungarian Cauliflower Salad (50 serv)- OK
-Tomato and Peach Salad (has cannellini beans)using 16 fresh peaches and 16 tomatoes (50 serv)- OK
-Blueberry and Kale Grain Salad (50 serv)-OK
-288 Fresh Corn Cakes
-8 Veggie Pizzas using crescent rolls
-Watergate Salad (80 serv)
-Cucumbers and Onions using about 20 cukes- 12 pounds makes enough for 100
You could skip one or two of these and still have plenty

-6 seedless watermelons- don't know size, but with all the rest, probably some left. Don't cut more than 3 until you see how they are going.
-200 Hawaiian Rolls, 4 lbs. butter- OK, probably none left, get them hot if you can

There will be 12 fruit pies, dozens of cookies, and at least 4 10x15 sheet cakes
Plenty

Don't forget coffee (see dinner level coffee on the beverage page)

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)