See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Grilling pork tenderloin and serve in chafing dish
Allison
07/05/14
Would like to grill pork tenderloin for a crowd of 35. I think I will need 4-5 packages of tenderloins (2 loins in each pack) I'm able to grill 4 loins each time on my green egg. Can I keep them warm in my oven during the grilling process in the boiled marinade or will they be dried out by the time I have grilled them all? Will be slicing them and serving them in a chafing dish.
ellen
07/05/14
These cook pretty fast, and can stand 20 minutes at room temp before slicing- do you really need to put them in the oven? Don't slice until ready to serve.

You want about 17 pounds. Do you need to plan an entree or side dish to serve as an entree for any non-pork eaters?

Allison
07/07/14
Thank you. My plan is to grill them early in the day, wrap and refrigerate. About 30 minutes prior to eating I plan on slicing them and heating them in the oven in the boiled marinade and then put in chafing dish. Will this work? Or should I heat before slicing. Or can I warm the up in the chafing dish? I am having a spinach casserole and a mashed potato bar. These are all women I've worked with for 27 years. All pork eaters to my knowledge:) this is the first dinner I've made for this large of crowd. Want it to be good. I might can just bake the meat all at the same time but the green egg adds so much taste.
ellen
07/07/14
OK. Don't try to reheat in the chafer.

Cook the pork just done, not a minute over, chill immediately. Slice pretty thin when well chilled. Preheat the marinade to boiling, slip the meat in just until hot through, which will take a few minutes, transfer to the preheated chafer. Keep in mind it takes up to 40 minutes to preheat the chafer if you don't start with boiling water in the steam pan.

Reheating changes the texture slightly and increases the risk of drying out. Suggest you do this with one for a family meal, just as you want to do this for the party, and see if you are satisfied with the results.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)