See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding Picnic Lunch
Morgan Everett
03/27/14
Hi Ellen, I am so lost on the amount of food we should have for a Picnic wedding.

Here is the Ideal Menu... Can you please help me out with amounts of each item
Appitizers for 120 people

Pre-Wedding Appetizers (120 people)
Ham and Apple wraps topped with yogurt dijon sauce Apples are quartered with 1inch piece of ham wrapped around it.
Apricot-Basil chicken salad on crackers
Caprese Salad Skewers - one mozz ball, one cherry tomatoe, one basil leaf

Main Course (170) people)

Sandwiches
Turkey, Ham, and Provolone in a Croissant
w/Tomato, Lettuce, purple onion, lite mayo
and mustard

Spinach Salad with sliced Strawberries, sliced
almonds, and Feta with poppy seed dressing
Potato Salad red potatoes with skin on, chopped
green onion, chopped bacon, sliced black
olives, and dill pickles

Fruit Trays
Country Fried Chicken Wings

ellen
03/31/14
Hi, I am going to suggest some tweaks and rearrangements. Since you are doing these yourself, you need to decrease the fussiness of all the wrapping, skewers, etc. And, since people will be standing around with the appetizers, less drips and spills.

Pre-Wedding Appetizers (120 people)
Ham and Apple wraps topped with yogurt dijon sauce Apples are quartered with 1inch piece of ham wrapped around it.
I would do apple slices, not quarters, be sure they are dipped in citrus or Fruit Fresh to prevent browning, and have both a deviled ham dip and a caramel dip- 1 cup each per 8 guests
Apricot-Basil chicken salad on crackers- skip. Messy to eat, and not the right choice with sandwiches as the main course
Caprese Salad Skewers - one mozz ball, one cherry tomato, one basil leaf
I would do these as platters, with cherry tomatoes as the outside ring, mixed gardiniera and olives as the middle ring and the caprese balls as the inner ring, tons to serve. 1 pound tomatoes per 10-12, 2 gallons gardeniera per 100, 2 balls per person
Fruit Trays- use the fruit tray page. 1 1/2 the deluxe tray for 100 would be plenty

Main Course (170) people)

Sandwiches
Turkey, Ham, and Provolone in a Croissant
w/Tomato, Lettuce, purple onion, lite mayo
and mustard
Skip the onion, or have it on the side. Put mustard on the table; many people don't like it. Have mini croissants and do 1.2 turkey per person plus 1 ham per 2

You also need 20-30 egg salad or another vegetarian option.

Spinach Salad with sliced Strawberries, sliced
almonds, and Feta with poppy seed dressing
per 100, 10 pounds spinach, 2 pounds almonds, 6 quarts strawberries, 3-4 quarts dressing. Put the feta on the side, crumbles about 3 quarts per 100

Potato Salad red potatoes with skin on, chopped
green onion, chopped bacon, sliced black

Add an interesting bean dish such as 3 bean salad or Texas caviar, OR corn-black bean salsa, something colorful and a bit different.2 gallons per 100.

olives, 3-4 quarts per 100
dill pickles, 3 quarts per 100, 1 quart cornichons or bread and butter

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)