See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

How to cook scrambled eggs for 150?
Monique
03/04/14
Hi Ellen, thank you so much for your wisdom! I am helping plan/execute a fundraising breakfast for 150 with pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, yogurt, granola, and frozen berries for fruit. Got quantities from your breakfast planning page, thank you.

My question is - I know that cooking eggs in aluminum steam pans will turn them green. Should I cook them on the stovetop, and then keep warm in steam pan with sterno? Or, is there a way to cook them in the oven in a glass pyrex 9x13, and then transfer to the steam pan? Will holding them in the steam pan turn them green?

I saw the suggestion to cook in an electric roaster, but I don't have one available. Any wisdom is GREATLY appreciated! This will be "open house" style over a period of three hours, so I expect to cook in batches.

ellen
03/05/14
This is discussed in some detail in the egg FAQ, link on the recipe box page. You could rent some stainless pans for your chafers, or possibly use an electric roaster-

ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/eggsfaq.html

Monique
03/05/14
Thank you for the stainless pan tip for cooking. Will keeping warm in aluminum steam pans turn them green?
ellen
03/05/14
Sadly, both overheating and aluminum contribute to greening.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)