See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

How much food do I need?
Rosalie
02/12/14
We are having an open house for my Mother's 100th birthday. We are expecting 100 people. Here is the menu, how much food do we need?

meatballs in barbque sauce
smokies & pineapple
veggie trays
fruit trays
crackers/cheese

cake
nuts
mints

Rosalie
02/12/14
Just posted message on 100th birthday party. I meant to say 200 people.
ellen
02/13/14
Hi, Rosalie, what a happy event to be celebrating! Amounts do depend on time of day. I am assuming that this is an afternoon reception, not over lunch time or dinner time- if it were, you would need more food.

I would like to add a few suggestions at the end-

meatballs in barbeque sauce-10 pounds per 100, 3 quarts sauce per 10 pounds
smokies & pineapple- 1 pound sausages per 8-10
You might have small rolls or slider buns here for making little sandwiches- about a dozen per 10 people
Consider adding a mild creamy mold or spread, 1/4 cup per person and 1 ounce bread or chips per person

veggie trays- many older folks do not enjoy crudites (fresh raw)- take a look at the classic relish tray on the veggie tray page and consider doing 1-2 relish trays with fresh veggies for just 75-100.

fruit trays- see the fruit tray page. 2 tropical deluxe trays for 100 would be PLENTY. Keep in mind that many older folks can't do seeds/berries, so be sure to include melons, mango/peach chunks, pineapple, etc.

You might provide a fondue pan or crock pot of chocolate fondue- info is on the chocolate fountain page (I don't recommend the fountains, but chocolate dip/fondue is always a good idea).

crackers- 6 pounds per 100
cheese- 12 pounds per 100, some can be spreads or logs

I would consider adding deviled eggs here, if you have time to make them- very popular, pretty on the table, you would need about 9 dozen eggs (recipe on this site)

cake- a full sheet cake makes 50 servings You might consider a two layer half sheet in white or yellow and a second 2 layer half sheet in chocolate, and about 100 servings of bars and cookies

You need dinner level coffee, see the beverage planning page, and how about lemonade or another light punch, about 12 gallons.
nuts- 6 pounds per 100
mints- 4 pounds per 100
consider adding pretzels sticks- about 6 pounds

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)