See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Cocktail reception for 100
Jaina
02/08/14
We are "self-catering" our wedding. It's just a cocktail reception with very little prep or cooking. Here is the menu:
Antipasto platter- prosciutto, salami, cappicola, small sausages
Meatballs
Shrimp scampi
Cheese plate- mozzerella pearls, brie, feta, cheddar, muenster, and gouda
Hummus dip
Bruschetta
Olives
Artichoke hearts
Grilled veggies- asparagus, mushrooms, red peppers
Fruit- cantaloupe, grapes
Assorted breads, pita, and crackers

I'm having an issue with quantities. Could I get an estimate in pounds of what we would need per item? The reception is from 2-6 on a sunday. Most people are coming from out of town and we have some big eaters. If anyone could help, that would be great.

Jaina
02/09/14
Actually we have decided to cut the bruschetta, feta, and artichoke hearts.

I have found articles on here and other places that sort of help but haven't had too much luck because we aren't doing a dinner and it is all buffet style. Any help would be appreciated.

ellen
02/09/14
Actually, if I were cutting back, those are not what I would eliminate. Instead I would cut the shrimp scampi- that is the only dish that must have a fork instead of a toothpick, and it is very expensive- you would need at least 18-20 pounds of shrimp to be sure of not running out.
ellen
02/09/14
For reception level food, which is what you need in the middle of the afternoon, you want to end up with about 1 pound per person total.

Antipasto platter-
prosciutto, 1/2 to 1 ounce per person
salami, 1 1/2 ounces (2 slices) per person
cappicola, 1-2 ounces per person
small sausages-2 per person
suggest you add a good plain ham or deli sliced chicken here, 2 ounces per person, to take the load off the fancier meats.
Put 2 small crispy-chewy rolls per person here and plain and spicy mustard, and mayo- many folks will make sandwiches and reduce their meat.

Suggest you add one classic relish tray as outlined on the veggie tray page.

Meatballs- 10 pounds, about 3 quarts sauce

Shrimp scampi- suggest skip, as discussed above.

Cheese plate-
mozzerella pearls, 2 per person
brie, 1/2 ounce per person
feta, 1/2 ounce per person
cheddar, 1 ounce per person
muenster, 1 ounce per person
gouda, 1/2 ounce per person
Deco plates with grape tomatoes, litle mild cherry peppers, 2 per person, and fresh basil leaves

Hummus dip 1/4 cup per person
1 6 inch pita per 3, cut into 6 wedges (2 wedges per person)

Bruschetta, 2 pieces per person

Olives, 1 gallon, assorted
pickles, including small crunchy sweet, at least 3 quarts

Artichoke hearts- 1 per person, cut in halves

Grilled veggies- asparagus, mushrooms, red peppers, about 20 pounds

Fruit- cantaloupe, grapes- see the fruit tray page. Suggest you do at least 1 pound grapes per 6, 1 cantaloup per 6, 5-6 quarts strawberries, 3 fresh pineapples, plus 1 fresh date per person, 2 dried apricots or figs or mix per person

crackers, assorted, 8 pounds

Add 6 pounds high class nuts

If someone wants to do something extra, deviled eggs would be extra nice with this- about 4 dozen eggs to start.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Jaina
02/10/14
Thanks so much! Very helpful and I am more than happy to support this site.

I have one more quick question. We are doing an Italian soda bar and I am not sure how much sparkling water we need. We are using 8 oz cups and I have a 3 gallon dispenser.

We are getting one case of red wine, one of white, and one of champagne. And we will have 192 bottles of beer. And 300 10 oz bottles of water. Do these quantities sound good?

ellen
02/11/14
100 people, allow 1 1/2 sodas each, with ice about 5 ounces fizzy water per drink, a gallon makes about 24.

With all the beer, you have enough for about 50 beer drinkers.

1 standard (750 ml) bottle of wine serves 5 glasses. Many people will drink 3-5 glasses over the course of a meal or evening, so count on a minimum of 1/2 bottle per person for your wine drinkers.
Standard white wine to red wine ratio is two whites to one red.

1 bottle champagne pours 6 flute or 7 saucer glasses. If you are planning to have a toast, get 2 cases.

With all the other beverages, 200 water would be plenty.

If this saves you time trouble, or money, please consider a donation, maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)