See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding for 300 people
Tammy
01/07/14
I am planning a wedding of 300 people and doing our own food and desserts. We are getting a 100lb pig stuff with kabalsi and planning on cooking chicken for the meat. We are also planning on having dinner rolls, salad, noodles with alferdo, green beans, corn, some type of potatoe, meatballs. We plan on making fruit and veggie trays also along with all our desserts. I'm not sure on how much to make of everything. We plan on having everything in roasters.
ellen
01/07/14
Tammy, this is a huge undertaking and doing the whole pig can make it a disaster- unless you have someone fully experienced cooking it for you.

A party this size, day of, takes at least 4 in the kitchen and about 20 out front to set up, serve, and clean up the party. These are not wedding members or guests; they are working during the wedding. The grills will take at least 3 more and the pig 2 more. That is with the food ready to serve...

You are talking over 500 pounds of food, so where will you be storing all that?

The hundred pound pig plus sausages will serve about 120-130 people. You need an additional approx 200 people worth of chickens at 1/4 chicken per person= 50 chickens.

dinner rolls,
salad,
green beans,
corn,
See plan for 100, use 3 times the amounts.

You need to add/ have a vegetarian entree choice for at least 20 people. Veggie patties, field roast vegetarian sausages, etc.

noodles with alfredo, about 20 pounds dry pasta. The Alfredo style sauce on the spaghetti page holds well.
some type of potato, about 90 pounds potatoes

You need appetizer areas set up before the first guests arrive:
meatballs, 10-12 pounds per 100, 3 quarts sauce per 10 pounds
fruit trays, see fruit tray page, do for at least 250
veggie trays, see veggie tray page. Consider doing 3 classic relish trays and crudites for just 150-200.
I would add cheese and crackers, 20 pounds cheeses and 18 pounds crackers.

dessert bar- use the dessert planning page.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site, thank you.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)