See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

6 hour buffet - Verifying Quantities
Michal
10/16/13
Sorry, this is a duplicate of my post under "Food" - I read too late to "start a new topic for fastest response".

Hi! We're hosting a hospitality room, buffet style, for judges and directors for a Marching Band Competition. Over the course of the evening we will have 125 people (all adults), arriving 7 or 8 at a time, over a 6 hour period. They will all come back at the end and some will "pick" again at the buffet. The competition is outside (northeast) and they will likely be cold. Will you please verify my quantities below? Also, any tips for food safety for such a long period would be appreciated. THANKS!

Meatball Sandwiches:
meatballs: 480 (3 x 6lb bags)
tomato sauce: 6 large cans (105 oz each
Rolls: 160
sliced provolone: 4 lb

Pulled Pork Sliders:
Pork Shoulder: 16 lb raw (2 shoulders)
Cole Slaw: made with 6 lb slaw mix
slider rolls: 84

Sides:
Balsamic Mushrooms (25 lb buttons)
Pasta Salad: made with 4 lb pasta
Veggie Tray: 100 oz veggies
Grapes: 4 lb

Caesar Salad:
Romaine: 8 heads
Dressing: 1 quart
Shredded Parm: 2.5 lb
Croutons: 1.5 lb

Soup: Mushroom Barley: 2.5 gal
Soup: Butternut Squash: 2.5 gal

Desserts: 250 individual pieces

Mushrooms are donated - we live in the mushroom capital so that's why so many mushrooms.

Drinks: from concessions so we can replenish as needed.

ellen
10/16/13
Michal, this is a wide ranging estimate. If your intention is to serve 125 people a meal/dinner plus a snack, you need some major adjustments. And yes, there are some significant food safety issues here.

So the first question is, do you intend to serve 125 people a meal plus a snack?

Second, what is the kitchen situation?

Third, are you setting up at least coffee urns there?

Write back.

Michal
10/17/13
It's a meal for 125.

The judges eat at 4:30. The bands perform at 15 minute intervals from 6-10 pm, and each band's staff comes in to eat when they are finished (approx 8 people at a time). Awards are at 10:15 and then everyone comes back in for their critique.

If there is food left some will eat again, but most will not. We are not required to feed everyone again. Mostly they have another cup of coffee and grab another dessert.

We don't have a kitchen. We do have a refrigerator and electricity. Food will be served from crock pots and chafing dishes. And we plan to put the cold serving dishes in ice. And to only bring out amounts as we need, not to let it sit out all evening. I do have access to an electric roaster if that is helpful.

We will have coffee urns, water bottles, sodas, and iced tea on hand - I'm not worried about these quantities because we have easy access to more.

Thanks!

ellen
10/17/13
What I would do for these cold folks, is have a major soup or chili choice. For this serving arrangement, no stove, I would use the roaster and 2 large crockpots. One crock with a vegetarian choice. Roaster at 180-200 with a beefy veg soup with the barley and mushrooms such as this:

ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/beefsoup.html

and also the second crock, so when you get down on the roaster and need to refill, you put it in the crock, wash the roaster insert, and fill fresh (can run heat to 350-400, stirring, till it's hot, then turn down). It will take about 2 roasters plus a crock for the whole group and the wash in the middle prevents food safety issues mixing old and new.

Meatball sliders are an "in thing" now, you could go with all slider buns, allow 3 per person total plus some extras and don't forget to count your serving staff.
Meatball Sandwiches:
meatballs: 480 (3 x 6lb bags)- OK
tomato sauce: 6 large cans (105 oz each) probably too much, I only use 3 quarts per 10 pounds
- see slider bun note above
sliced provolone: 4 lb- at least 8, makes sandwiches for non-meat eaters also, and have several cans of shaker Parm as well

Pulled Pork Sliders:
Pork Shoulder: 16 lb raw (2 shoulders)
Cole Slaw: made with 6 lb slaw mix- 20 pounds- most people will take some as salad
slider rolls: 84- see slider bun note above

Sides:
Balsamic Mushrooms (25 lb buttons)- I do envy you the mushrooms...
Pasta Salad: made with 4 lb pasta- do 6
Veggie Tray: 100 oz veggies- OK, none left, 3 quarts ranch
Grapes: 4 lb- more, and assorted, see fruit tray page- at least 12-15 pounds

Skip the Caesar- cold, not missed. Consider fruit tray instead, see fruit tray page. People like sweet.
Caesar Salad:
Romaine: 8 heads
Dressing: 1 quart
Shredded Parm: 2.5 lb- put with meatballs
Croutons: 1.5 lb

I would probably allow 4 modest size pieces of dessert per person-

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

What would be a real treat here is a potful of hot spiced cider...

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)