See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Question about portion for entree
April
09/23/13
Hi Ellen, I'm planning to prepare for 100 covers, and I have 3 different entrees:
Entree: Mongolian Beef serve with Spice Brown Rice
Entree(vegetarian):Baked Tomatoes with Quinoa, Corn, and Green Chiles
Entree salad: Chicken Salad With Grapes and Pecans
How many portion do I need to produce for each entree?
ellen
09/23/13
April, it depends entirely on what kind of event and what kind of audience, and you will end up preparing more than you need of each in order to have enough. With this diverse of a selection, the host/hostess should have asked the guests for preference. While the usual advice is to prepare 5 beef for each 3 of the second for total, then add 10% additional for vegetarian, for 110 plates per 100, this is far from a guarantee.
April
09/24/13
Ellen,thanks for your help. I still do not get your explanation about " 5 beef for each 3 of the second for total" . Can you please explain it for me? I'm working on a menu planning project, and I have to assume that I'm going to prepare for 100 covers. Because I'm not working in industry and have lack of experience about this. I think your advice will help me a lot.
ellen
09/24/13
The usual estimate in the US is that when there is beef and a second choice, if buffet style, if you plan that people will serve themselves about 5 ounces ready to eat beef plus 3 ounces of the second meat, you will not run out of either. If it is plated, about 5/8 people will have beef, 3/8 will have the second meat and you then allow for 10 vegetarian portions. However, there is NO guarantee on this, and it varies depending on the crowd, the type of event, the recipes used, and the side dishes. In this case, you have an even more difficult estimate because the 2 meat entrees are not equivalent; a chicken sandwich versus a hot beef dish.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)