See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding for 150 in October outside
Beth
09/07/13
I doing a wedding of 150. We are having a hog roast ( someone else is doing this part)
I have 12 doz ears of corn
6-8 gal baked beans
6-8 lbs pasta (pasta salad)
6-8 lbs Mac (Mac n cheese)
Buns Thinking 200 -250 needed
6 gal tea (also water available)
For dessert we will have wedding cake/ cupcakes
Then I'm making peach and apple cobblers 4-5 each with one each being sugar free. (9x13)
Will we have enough food planned?
( they are also planning on having beer kegs for drinks available)
ellen
09/07/13
You are headed in the right direction, but you have some shortages. This is what I would do:

Make sure it is 150 pounds or more of pig, or you will need to add a second entree.

12 doz ears of corn-break some into halves or add another dozen. Do not forget butter
6-8 gal baked beans- OK

6-8 lbs pasta (pasta salad) - do 8
6-8 lbs Mac (Mac n cheese)- I would do at least 12

Buns Thinking 200 -250 needed- 250
You need pickles and onions, see the sandwich page. Also extra BBQ sauce if not supplied by the roasting person, and I would add 4 gallons of slaw.

6 gal tea (also water available)- at least 12, and 1/3 unsweetened

For dessert we will have wedding cake/ cupcakes
Then I'm making peach and apple cobblers 4-5 each with one each being sugar free. (9x13) very good

I suggest dinner level coffee since you are serving alcohol, see the beverage planning page.

A keg of beer serves about 40 beer drinkers.

You need an appetizer area and here is why:

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

For this menu, a fruit tray and chips with queso and salsa would be a simple choice. 12-15 pounds chips, 3 gallons assorted dips.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site.
One appetizer service area One serving area is needed for each 100 guests.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)