See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Selling BBQ sandwiches at Flea Market
Ashley
03/06/13
Hi Ellen,
My husband and I want to start our own business. He currently sales at flea markets and online products. Now,i want to begin something in the food industry. the flea market we go to does not have much BBQ sales its more, mexican food and junk foods. i thought bbq sandwhiches would be a hit! i was thinking cooking the meat at home in a roaster oven (i have 16 quart) preparing at home then take it to flea market have a little burner going to toast buns on butter...what meat would you suggest and how much for my first time selling. Keep in mind i am a rookie meat cooker but i am good with instructions! we leave like 4:30 am? also i would like to cook something to sell for breakfast, what do you think? something unique they dont usually have at flea markets, like i said before its usually mexican...i also want to stay in a budget, i dont want to go over board and be left with tons of food=loss :/...help..i so want to be a stay at home mom! i eventually want to buy a traveling trailer/kitchen if all goes well!
Ashley
03/06/13
OH! i was also thinking of giving something free, like a little cookie or something..just to promote! Inexpensive but a HIT is my goal :)
Ashley
03/06/13
I also would like to know the best way to store th food, i want o get the food worked out before i purchase any electric burners, trailers...etc....i first want to start small...pretty small.... so i know how big of a demand it will be...but i also have to be noticeable in a way...i apologize if this is not your type of convo ! i am just trying to get any type of advice.
ellen
03/06/13
Ashley, nothing with meat is inexpensive these days. The catering business is VERY challenging.

Have you checked into the licensing in your state? In most states, it is not legal to cook at home and then sell the items. In a few states, you can sell home-cooked baked goods, but not hot foods. Don't know where you are, or whether the others sellers are licensed, but be aware that you are personally liable for any illness that occurs related to the food or the serving? You can be sued and lose your house... Don't know where you are, but location also affects what sells.

You can email me at the contact address at the bottom of the page if you want to provide more information.

ellen
03/06/13
Also, look at the pro catering forums at:

chef2chef.com
cheftalk.com

ellen
03/06/13
To reiterate, as stated on chef2chef.com:

"Never, Ever, Never, Ever, Never (repeat 10x, rinse, spit, repeat) work undprotected under your own name. At least form a DBA. It's not overly complicated or expensive and it's a lot simpler (and less $$$) than creating an LLC. Every thing you own and any money you may ever make the rest of your career is at jeopardy if you work under your own name.

It only takes one sick guest for major problems to arise. Remember food-borne illness can arise from products you buy (Think listeria D'Artagnan). Every one forgets how easy it is to have a breach of contract and that every time you serve a guest there is an express and implied warranty that the food is fit for human consumption.

Don't risk every thing to save your self a few bucks for a license and the time it takes to open a checking account."

If your required to in your state make darn sure you collect sales tax.

Ashley
03/06/13
Ellen this is more complex than i thought =0!
Ashley
03/06/13
i should just go with my original thought :

slices of "cheesecakes or flan"

topped with many different toppings..whip cream ..uts..fruits...chocolate.... i would just need a cooler right? would this be a good idea? I know you mentioned baked goods earlier...

ellen
03/06/13
Ashley, what region are you in? Weather affects optimum food choices-
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)