See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Shrimp fettuccine recipe for 100 people
Jean
03/06/13
How much shrimp do I need for a shrimp fettuccine for 100 people? My daughter is getting married and I want to cook the meal myself. Do you have a recipe?
ellen
03/06/13
Take a look at the alfredo style sauce for 100 on the spaghetti page, if you want a white/ creamy sauce.

Here is a nice recipe for one with red bell peppers and mushrooms. It makes 5 standard chafing pans, and I prepare 4 with shrimp and 1 without, since some folks don't eat shrimp. You would do:

5 cups of butter
25 pounds cleaned, peeled shrimps
Red bell peppers, thin strips 15 pounds
Green onions, sliced 2 quarts
Fresh mushrooms, sliced 20 pounds- you might use zucchini for part, but be sure to cook out most of the moisture before adding to the dish)
(if you don't use the mushrooms, you need more shrimp)
Hot cooked fettuccine (about 15 lbs. dry) 45 pounds cooked
Alfredo Sauce 1 quart per pound dry= 15 to 16 quarts
Shredded Parmesan Cheese 5 quarts
Chopped fresh parsley 6 cups

This is how it is done per serving (preferred)

For each serving: in skillet melt 2 teaspoons butter. Saute 3 ½ ounces shrimp, 2 ounces peppers and 1 tbsp. onion until shrimp is pink. Add 3 ounces mushrooms. Continue sautéing until peppers are crisply tender. To skillet add, 6 oz. hot fettuccine and ½ cup hot Alfredo sauce. Toss and continue to heat. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley.

If you do this this way, precooking and reheating the pasta, be sure to read the full discussion on the spaghetti page.

If done casserole style, you make the sauce and cook the pasta, meanwhile you would saute the veggies in butter, then the shrimp, but keep them separate. You might want to add chopped basil, Italian seasoning, etc....

Cook the pasta al dente- barely done- don't overcook it. Drain the pasta thoroughly but DO NOT rinse- you want the sauce to stick- return to the pan and keep warm.

Prepare 5 standard chafing pans- grease/spray/butter and dust with plain old grated Parmesan.

Divide the pasta into the pans. Divide the veggies into the pans. Put shrimp on 4, leave one plain for the non-shrimp eaters. Divide the sauce into the pans.

Mix each pan thoroughly.

Sprinkle on Parmesan.

Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 oven for 40 / 50 minutes or until thoroughly bubbley. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
WARNING/ ALERT You may need TRIPLE cooking time if dish has been refrigerated or chilled. Use oven thermometer or instant read thermometer to check that temperature in the middle is 165 degrees.
To hold in oven once hot, turn oven to 180 degrees.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.

Jean
03/06/13
Thank you so much! Suggestions on what else you would serve? I am hiring someone to serve it the night of the wedding.
ellen
03/06/13
I would serve an antipasto platter, fruit trays and bread sticks with a marinara dipping sauce and olive oil dipping sauce as the appetizers.

Here is why you want an appetizer table:

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; maybe shrimps if budget permits.

One appetizer service area is needed for each 100 guests.

And for dinner:

Two great colorful vegetables- maybe an eggplant Parmesan or ratatouille, which would also be very nice for the non-shrimp eaters, and a broccoli or asparagus as the side dishes.

Wonderful crusty rolls- foccaccia or ciabatta style- with both butter and olive oil dipping sauce on the tablesbread sticks. 2 per person, 3 pounds butter

Maybe a salad of cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and fresh basil

Italian wedding cookies along with the cake, 2-3 per person.

Dinner level coffee, see the beverage planning page.

You need 2 people in the kitchen and about 6 people to serve, set up, and clean up this feast.

Elaina
08/26/15
Good morning Ellen,
I just wanted to say Thank You for being such a Great Help an Good Sport in Sharing your ideas an Mathmatical break down per serving. Which is the reason I tuned in. I was So Amazed, I Just wanted to Thank You So Much.
ellen
08/26/15
Thank you, and you are welcome.
BRENDA FIELDS
02/28/18
I want to prepare for couple and 100 quests after 15 years updating their wedding vows chicken fettuccine and shrimp fettuccine, fruit platers and brea
ellen
03/02/18
A recipe for shrimp fettuccine for 100 is at the top of this thread. For this crowd, consider doing 3/5 or 2/ 3 of the recipe and another 3/5 or 2/ 3 of with chicken- when you do 2 flavors, you need more than 100%, to cover choice. Alternatively, do 3/5 shrimp and 3/5 veg, with baked chicken in a red or white sauce or the- you would do 25 pounds of boneless chicken breast in small pieces. Definitely do have one pan meatless pasta for any non-meat eaters.

Full guide to the fruit platters on the fruit tray page.
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/fruit100.html

12-14 pounds good bread w 4 pounds butter or 4 pints dipping oil.

Consider adding a green salad from the salad for 100 list- I would- or 2 1/2 gallons mixed marinated vegetables or 22 pounds roasted vegetables, which can be prepped ahead and served room temp if oven space is an issue. Both recipes are on site.

You can write back. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site. hanks.

Susan Roberts
09/28/18
alfredo sauce recipe for 40 people
Im making baked chicken breasts and bowtie pasta with alfredo sauce for a church dinner. I think I need 10 lbs of dry pasta. Can you confirm? Also looking for an alfredo sauce recipe. Your help is much appreciated.
ellen
10/07/18
The Alfredo style sauce on my pasta page holds well. If it is all grown ups, 8 pounds is more than sufficient. 1 Quart sauce per pound.
samantha
01/29/22
I use shrimp , bow tie noodles, half and half, onions , garlic, cream of mushroom soup, green onions, butter, crab boil, and bell peppers for my fettuccine. I'm cooking for 100 guest wedding . wondering how much of each do I need to make. thanks
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)