See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Mardi Gras Buffet for 150
Natalie
01/29/13
Ellen-your site is terrific! My church youth group is hosting a Mardi Gras buffet this Sunday. Would you be so kind as to double check my amounts? I'm using your Jambalaya recipe(changing qty to 150). Also serving a salad of mixed greens with mandarin oranges, red onions, bacon crumbles. Figuring 2 oz per person on that. As side dishes we also have corn casserole (13)- 9X13 pans, Red beans & Rice (10# each), Biscuits (175) and Banana Cream Cheesecake (12)- 9X13 pans(getting 16 pieces out of each. Does that sound about right to you? Any thoughts appreciated!
ellen
01/29/13
Good menu and good estimates on most of the items. You will have too much red beans and rice. About 8 pounds rice, and about 8 pounds of red beans are plenty. Here is my favorite cajun page, in case you need a red bean recipe:

www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

ellen
01/29/13
By the way, the king cake recipe in the dash of spirit section would also be a wonderful dessert type thing-
Natalie
01/30/13
Thank you! I will cut back on the beans and rice as you suggested. Do you recommend making your jambalaya in Nesco toasters? We have quite a few and was hoping to use our ovens for the corn casserole. If so, how many should i use, what temperature would you recommend and for how long?
ellen
01/30/13
Nescos are fine, you can do about 50 people's worth in one, but be warned- plug in two on the same circuit and you will blow the circuit. Use heavy duty extension cords (the orange ones) and duct tape them to the floor along the entire length.
Natalie
01/30/13
With the Nesco's cooking the jambalaya, would I set the temp at 350 degrees as though it were a regular oven for same amount of time? You have been very helpful. Thank you for your time.
ellen
01/30/13
Make sure the liquids are hot. Yes, about the same amount of time. Preheat the roaster before adding the cook well and its food.
Maryft
12/27/15
Mardi Gras Buffet for 80
Ellen, I did a Google search and came upon this site. We are doing a Mardi Grad dinner at church for jambalaya for 80 and also wish to use Nescos. Can you please get me your recipe for cooking in an 18qt. Nesco? I would be so appreciative. Thank you so much. :)
ellen
12/27/15
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/bbentree2.html

will make for 100. One Nesco will do 1/2 the recipe.

Preheat roasters 20 minutes before adding rice and meats. Notice that the meat and broth are hot when the rice is added. It will probably take more than an hour to finish, but when done just turn down to 165-180, cover tightly and it will hold for about 2 hours. Use long grain rice, such as converted rice, to reduce the risk of mushiness.

You could also use the jambalaya calculator at tigerdroppings.com!

www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/26150638/Jambalaya-Calculator---Free-Download.aspx

It works.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)