See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

pre gel starch
Susie
12/21/12
I have just found out my son is on a gluten-free diet. Tried to make him some homemade bread. I have the gluten-free all purpose flour and of course i thought i could just do it like i make my own bread...big mistake. I see in all the articles i have read it says you can use pre-gel starch to help with raising of the bread since there is no gluten. my question is...will corn starch work or is this a special starch that i will need to try to find here in my area?
ellen
12/21/12
No, cornstarch doesn't work at all. You can get a great book from the library, Betty Hagman's the gluten-free gourmet bakes bread, which explains all about guar gum, xanthan gum and pre-gel, which although they sound weird are all safe, helpful products for gluten free baking.

In addition, check out the hundreds of gluten free recipes at:

crockpot365.blogspot.com/

and look up the website for the Little Aussie Bakery in San Antonio Texas, which ships terrific gluten free products and mixes for you at home. Tell them ellenskitchen sent you-

Gabriel
01/12/13
RjEZaLLXLhMDgF
(Paperback) Review from [...] Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook is a buoyant book, one that ceealrbtes the vast offerings of the earth in their seasonal best rather than mourn the loss of gluten-filled grains. Embracing the gluten-free, Cerier leaps joyfully into discovery, leaving gluten-filled grains in the dust without a backward glance. Should you be dealing with gluten-free for health reasons, you will feel worries melt away as you dive into Cerier's delicious recipes. Should you merely be curious about the wide world of grains, happy discoveries lie ahead. As a teacher, Cerier knows how to teach about the new grains, and offers tips on gluten-free cooking with ease and accuracy. Her writing is so infused with both her love of life and the foods that nourish it, that it is a pleasure to read. Her knowledge would be formidable if it was not so enthusiastically shared. There are tips throughout the book, such as the secret of putting sea vegetables in the cooking water with beans to reduce gas-producing enzymes. In what may be our favorite short section, Cerier devotes a few pages to cooking with color and artistry to turn kitchen tasks into kitchen pleasures. The recipes are innovative and creative. Start the day with a bountiful breakfast, advises Cerier. She gives recipes for Power Porridge with Goji Berries, Oat and Raisin Muffins, Coconut Quinoa Waffles with Maca, even includes a Miso Watercress Soup a classic breakfast in Japan. For main course suggestions Cerier offers a wide range of grains and beans recipes such as Soba with Tempeh and Broccoli in Coconut Sauce, Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Casserole, Savory Stuffed Winter Squash, Corn Grits with Sauteed Onion, Kale, and Cheddar, or a Coconut Curry Lentil and Millet Stew. Listed as sides are a variety of recipes that might also serve as a main course. You will find Basmati and Wild Rice Pilaf, Coconut Jasmine Rice with Goji Berries and --akes, Madagascar Pink Rice with Cashews and Scallions, Bhutanese Red Rice Pilaf with Vegetables, Spiced Yams with Pecans, Tomato-Lentil Stew with Kale. Cerier packs the book with sauces and toppings, often vital to grain cooking. Inspired by global discoveries, Cerier offers Russian Dressing, Italian Dressing, Moroccan Tahini Sauce, Thai Peanut Sauce. There are sauces from a Cilantro Pesto to a gourmet treat Red Wine with Porcini Sauce. Desserts, often the bane of the gluten-free, are included with such luscious recipes as Hazelnut Butter Cookies, Date and Coconut Cookies, Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie, Topless Blueberry Pie, Granny Smith Apple Crumb Pie. Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook is a book for all seasons and for all who love good food.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)