See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

apple pie and Thanksgiving menu for 150 people?
Nancy
10/28/12
What do you add to a #10 can of apples to make apple pie filling? We are planning on making apple pie for Thanksgiving for 150+ people. Last year I bought apple pie filling and opened 1 or 2 cans of apple slices and added it to the apple pie filling. This year I am thinking that it would be less costly if I just used the apple slices in a #10 can. Can you help me?
Our menu is fried turkey, gravy, my mom's cornbread dressing, green beans, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole and apple pie for dessert. This is for a group at our church. We prepare for 150+.
Thanks for your help.
ellen
10/31/12
Nancy, have you considered an apple cobbler with a Dutch crumb topping and a scoop of vanilla ice cream? Simpler to make, simpler to serve.

To make apple pie filling from 2 #10 cans of plain canned apples, which would make about 7 9 inch pies, you need:

4 1/2 cups white sugar

1 cup cornstarch

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 teaspoons salt

3 tablespoons lemon juice

You need 10 cups of liquid including the canned liquid, and I strongly suggest cider. I also usually add ground ginger.

In a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and liquid and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir in the apples. Let cool before filling pie shells.

Nancy
11/13/12
Sounds great but we have no freezer room at our church right now. As soon as we finish our meal we have another group coming in to prepare another Thanksgiving meal so there is not enough space. Thanks for the suggestion.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)