See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Wedding buffet
Sars
09/18/12
I am doing a buffet for my wedding of about 150 people. We are doing beef, chicken, ziti, meatballs, rolls, baked potato bar, rice for people who dont eat potatoes and a vegetable. How much do you think we should make for each ? I was going to make 200 potatoes is that too much?
ellen
09/19/12
Yes, you only need 150 potatoes, see the potato bar page.

You don't need rice if you are making ziti.

You DO need an appetizer table, and you need to read my article on wedding dinners- this is a 10 person task day of, not counting anyone in the wedding party.

beef, 1 pound raw boneless per 3 PLUS
chicken, 1 pound boneless raw per 4
meatballs, 1 pound per 5

ziti, about 10 pounds dry

rolls, see plan for 100 page

baked potato bar, see potato bar page

rice skip

vegetable about 22-24 pounds per 100, I would add a salad.

I strongly recommend an appetizer table. Here is an excerpt from an upcoming article:

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, including a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient.

One appetizer service area is needed for each 100 guests.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)