See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Banquet for 250
Karen
07/25/12
Good Afternoon,

We run the snack bar at our local swim club and have been asked to cater their swim banquet. (We are not caterers; the snack bar sells "fast food".)

Out of the 250 people expected, 100 of those are children.

The menu is Chicken Parm, Baked Ziti, Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches, Chicken Tenders, Baked Beans, Pasta Salad, Tossed Salad and Rolls.

I'v been checking out your site and it's so informative, but I'm still unsure how much of everything we should make.

I mean, what do you do if ALL 250 want Chicken Parm or Roast Beef, etc. I'm trying to figure the children into the mix and assuming every person isn't going to get everything on the menu.

For instance, even though it's 250 people, I'm figuring on having enough beef and rolls for 200 Roast Beef Sandwiches. I also have planned for 180 pieces of Chicken Parm. Baked ziti (meatless) as a side dish I was thinking of starting with 10 lbs. of dry pasta.

For the rest, I thought a good estimate would be to have enough of everything else for 100-150 people, but we definitely do not want to run out of anything.

I should mention, that while it's "Buffet", they are not serving themselves, except for the tossed salad.

Am I on the right track? I don't know how you do it!

Thanks so much in advance and also for your very helpful site.

ellen
07/25/12
This is an ambitious project for you. I routinely encourage paid folks to use the pro catering forums at these site.

chef2chef.com
cheftalk.com

But this is interesting, so I will tell yo how I would estimate it.

Children under 10 count as 1/2 person for estimating quantites. However. swimmers are heavy eaters, so don't cut back more than that.

Chicken Parm, get the small, 3 ounce pieces, allow 1 per person, serve 1 to small kids and those with other meats and 2 for chicken only
Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches, 1 pound ready to eat meat per 6, 1/4 cup gravy per person
Chicken Tenders, depends a lot on size, allow 1-2 per person, almost everyone takes one

Baked Beans, 3 gallons per 100

Baked Ziti, because this is the only starch, almost everyone will take some, see the spaghetti page for help on side dish amounts

Pasta Salad, 5 pounds per 100 dry, plus add-ins. Would be 6 without the ziti.
Tossed Salad see the plan for 100 page

Rolls. Get crusty rolls. 1 per person, as you will have also the bread from the roast beef sandwiches.

ellen
07/25/12
By the way, if this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation to support the site.
Jackie
10/30/12
Having a Church Fellowship dinner for 250 people. Fried Chicken,Mashed Potatoes and Gravy,Green Beans,and Bread.Need to know how much of each to fix please.
ellen
10/31/12
See the plan for 100 lists, all these are coverd, do 2 1/2 times the amount for 100.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)