See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Cooking for 125
Jenny
07/23/12
I am going to be helping out with my in-laws for their 50th wedding anniversary meal and want to make sure we have the right amount of food. Will you please let me know if the amounts are correct for 125 people? This will be set up buffet style with servers.

Fried Chicken Strips 15 lbs of chicken strips
Baked boneless chicken breast 15 1bs chicken.
30 1bs boneless spiral ham
Mac/Cheese 3 Large deep aluminum Pans (20 3/4"x 12 4/5" 3 1/5)
Chicken Dressing 3 Large deep aluminum Pans (20 3/4"x 12 4/5" 3 1/5)
Steamed Vegetable Melody 15lbs
7 lbs tossed salad and 3 kinds of salad dressing
10 lbs yeast rolls
6 gallons sweet tea
6 gallons unsweet tea

Dessert will be a 3 tier "wedding cake" each tier a different flavor & 3 different types of chocolate bon bons. Thank you.

ellen
07/25/12
It depends on if the guests are mostly your parents' age, or mixed; seniors eat lighter, and I decrease my amounts about 10% except for favorite foods.

However, assuming mixed ages, and buffet with seconds, my usual recommendations would be somewhat higher:

Fried Chicken Strips 15 lbs of chicken strips- if these are the larger ones, you will need more- most people will take 1 even if having something else
Baked boneless chicken breast 15 1bs chicken. have small pieces (3 ounces cooked weight)
30 1bs boneless spiral ham OK
Mac/Cheese 3 Large deep aluminum Pans (20 3/4"x 12 4/5" 3 1/5)
Chicken Dressing 3 Large deep aluminum Pans (20 3/4"x 12 4/5" 3 1/5)
Need gravy, 1/4 cup per person
Steamed Vegetable Melody 15lbs- 26 pounds
7 lbs tossed salad and 3 kinds of salad dressing- about 10 pounds
10 lbs yeast rolls- go 12-14, bread is cheap, and have about 4 pounds of real butter
6 gallons sweet tea -8
6 gallons unsweet tea

Add dinner level coffee, see the beverage planning page

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)