See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

feeding 150 people
Val
02/13/12
We are hosting an event where we will be feeding 150 people lunch. We want to do a taco bar, a salad bar, and a potato bar. Should we plan for 150 potatoes, 150 tacos, and 150 salads, bearing in mind that probably not everyone will eat one of each, but that some people may eat, e.g., 2 tacos and no potato? Or should we plan for 100 of each item?
Thanks for input!
ellen
02/13/12
I would arrange this a little differently, as they are rather similar. For example, the chicken strips could go on the tacos or on top of the salad or potato.

Also, how it divides will depend in part on the gender of the audience- salad goes up as ladies increase, potatoes as men do.

This is what I would do.

Meat:
25 pounds chicken strips, marinated, fajita style
20 pounds ground beef, mild taco style
2 gallons mixed salad-tuna, egg

These go on the third line with the roasters or large crock pots to hold the meats. Also, one roaster of a creamy vegetable soup such as broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom.

You will want 3 serving lines- about 8 8' tables-
one table for beverages, one for desserts- 3 serving lines of two tables.

First line:
Potatoes and butter
Taco shells and tortillas
Salad base
bread and rolls and butter

Second line:
toppings-
Grated cheese
olives
chopped tomatoes
salsa
bacon bits
chopped egg
chopped ham
roasted veggies
sour cream
potato salad

Third line:
soup
beans
chicken
beef-
You would have servers on this table

Use the dessert planning table for the dessert buffet.

Look this over, add any foods you want included, and write back, describing the crowd mixture and the type of event

ellen
02/13/12
Then I can work on the rest of the quantities.
Cheryl
04/13/12
Feeding a 150 people & children at our school function. How many chicken strips should we order? We are also going to serve potatoe salad so how many lbs. of potatoes do we need to order? The audience will be pretty much be equal as far as men & women for most part. Definitely don't want to run out of food. The careteria can always use left over chicken strips for lunch the next day. Thanks!
ellen
04/13/12
Allow 1 pound strips per 3, 4 gallons potato salad per 100 (that is 35-45 pounds of potatoes, depending on whether you peel them.
rita
06/01/12
feeding 50 adults, 50 confirmed teens and another possible 50 teens for a highschool graduation. last day of school from 5 to 9

I have 50 lbs of pulled pork to be eaten on a bun with bbq sauce. 5 gal potatoe salad
5 gal cole slaw

30 lbs smoked cajun turkey for topping nachos
8lbs nacho chips
3 gal cheese sauce
5 qts mango salsa
5 qts mild tomato salsa
5 qts chipotle salsa
15 qts gaucamole,
olives, jalepenos, green onions
12 lbs of dry black beans that i will cookin a sauce to be eaten as a side with the pork or topping for nachos

since we live in the country i am setting a rustic style table outdoors with banquet tables and straw bails for seating under the trees with twinkle lites. we will have a bonfire. I could do a fruit plater and cookies and bars or have ice cream and baked fruit crisp and rootbeer for floats for desert. the buffet will be set up in the house, is this enough food? Should i also do smores around the fire, hot dogs? what are your thoughs?

ellen
06/01/12
Assuming 50 adults and 75 teens

I have 50 lbs of pulled pork to be eaten on a bun with bbq sauce. Smaller buns, 2 per person, larger 1.5
5 gal potato salad- do 6, 7 if you expect more
5 gal cole slaw- OK, probably some left

30 lbs smoked cajun turkey for topping nachos
8lbs nacho chips- need 1 pound per 10
3 gal cheese sauce- scant, just barely

5 qts mango salsa OK
5 qts mild tomato salsa- need 1/4 cup per person
5 qts chipotle salsa- OK

15 qts gaucamole, OK
olives, 1/2 gallon per 100
jalepenos, 1 gallon per 100
green onions- several cups

sour cream, 1 gallon/ 7 pounds per 100

12 lbs of dry black beans that i will cook in a sauce to be eaten as a side with the pork or topping for nachos- probably left overs much- I do 8 pounds per 100- but these do freeze, and some will take as a side dish for the sandwiches.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Jill
06/18/12
I am helping a friend do the food for her wedding reception. We are planning a Taco bar
How much of the following will I need

beef
chicken
hard shells
soft shells
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
shredded cheese
sour cream
refried beans
salsa
tortilla chips

I have already cooked 35 pounds of chicken and I am working on 35 pounds of beef, is that enough?

ellen
06/18/12
Jill, go to the taco bar page, do 1 1/2 times the amounts. Have excellent beans such as black beans and very good rice, and do have gaucamole-
suzanne
06/19/12
THIS IS AN EDITED REPOST FROM "wedding for 150" where I had posted under incorrect topic. sorry.

Hi Ellen, this is such an amazing site! Thank you!
We are doing a small, semi-casual brunch for our church anniversary. We are trying to plan for 150 but uncertain about the actual number. On a very tight budget, but trying to make it as nice as possible. I just cannot seem to figure out how much of each item we should have. I don't want to overspend but want to make sure we have enough!

Our buffet menu includes:

Spring mix salad (6lbs.)
w raspberry vinagraitte (1gal)
feta cheese (2lb.)
croutons (2lb)
Pasta salad (6 lbs. pasta) has veggies in it
Fruit salad
(4 cantaloupe,2honeydew, 12 lb. watermelon,2 lbs. grapes, 4lbs strawberry)
Chicken salad (trying just to buy 2 bags of chicken from SAMs club)...recipe w mayo/sour cream (not sure of amount)

Meat and cheese pinwheels- we have 180 of these

Breakfast breads (banana...)(5 loaves)
Mini muffins (64 count)
Mini powder donuts (3 small bags)
French baguette bread (10?)
Butter(2lbs.)

Yogurt parfait bar w/ fruit topping and granola (was thinking of 1/2C. -3/4 C.(will probably prefill 9oz. Cups w/yogurt)
toppings:
fruit: berry/misc. frozen mix (2 bags from sams)
granola (3lbs?)

Hoping you can help? Thanks.

ellen
06/19/12

Make somme kind of egg casserole or quiches- it is a brunch , after all

Spring mix salad (6lbs.)- I would do at least 6 pounds per 100
w raspberry vinaigrette (1gal)have a ranch choice as well
feta cheese (2lb.)-4
croutons (2lb)- 6
feta can go on the salad, but croutons on the side
Pasta salad (6 lbs. pasta) has veggies in it-OK
Fruit salad
(4 cantaloupe, 2honeydew, 12 lb. watermelon,2 lbs. grapes, 4lbs strawberry)-probably short, see the fruit tray page
Chicken salad (trying just to buy 2 bags of chicken from SAMs club)...recipe w mayo/sour cream (not sure of amount)- serve with rolls?

Meat and cheese pinwheels- we have 180 of these

Breakfast breads (banana...)(5 loaves)
Mini muffins (64 count)- usually 1 per person
Mini powder donuts (3 small bags)
French baguette bread (10?)- I would get crispy rolls
Butter(2lbs.)4

Yogurt parfait bar w/ fruit topping and granola (was thinking of 1/2C. -3/4 C.(will probably prefill 9oz. Cups w/yogurt)- I would let people serve their own cups
toppings:
fruit: berry/misc. frozen mix (2 bags from sams)
granola (3lbs?)

need honey and sugar

Need breakfast coffee and tea see beverage page. Have an iced tea such as peach, or a light punch.

Jill
06/26/12
Ellen
I have one probably silly question, I have checked out your taco / potato bar page and it has been helpful. The only thing I am not sure of is for the meat is that pre cooked?
I am serving 150 and I have 30ish pounds of chicken, and 35 pounds of ground beef both pre-cooked weights, and I am figuring 3 tacos per person, is that enough meat? and do you have suggestion for what to serve the meat with?
Thanks
ellen
06/26/12
30ish pounds of chicken, will make about 50 cups
35 pounds of ground beef will make about 23 pounds or 46 cups. That should be plenty for 150.

Use tongs for the meat.

janice
06/30/12
how many pounds of chicken and pork chops so I won't run out of food, also green beans,rice and gravy corn on cob and rolls
ellen
07/09/12
Assuming 150,

allow 2 pounds bone-in pork chops per 5 plus 1 pound bone in chicken per 3

green beans,rice and gravy, corn on cob and rolls are on the plan for 100 lists, don't forget the butter

Mary
08/08/12
We are having a tailgate wedding reception and figuring on around 150 guests. How much of each do you figure we should have
Chili
Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Tortilla Chips
Salsa
Wedding Cake
ellen
08/09/12
Chili- less than 1 cup per person, about 6 gallons
Hamburgers- 1 per person
Hotdogs- switch to Polish sausage or kielbasa, much tastier an more festive, 1 pound per 5-6
Rolls and sandwich condiments, see the sandwich page
Add one case of veggie burgers for the none-meat eaters- Boca or Morning
Tortilla Chips- 1 pound per 10
Salsa-1/4 cup per person
Wedding Cake- see discussion about cake pieces, on dessert planning page at the bottom, Could do a 2 layer white sheet cake and a 2 layer half sheet chocolate groom's cake.

Need some slaw or salad see plan for 100 page, and consider a cheese tray, 15-20 pounds sliced, 10 pounds crackers.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation to support the site.

michelle
08/20/12
I'm needing to know how many people 50 lbs. of chicken quarter's will feed. I'm haveing an open house & do not know how many will be there. I sent out 100 invitations to familys. Thank you I hope you can help :)
ellen
08/21/12
80 pounds serves 100 adults nicely. Kids or seniors, cut some up-
Brittany
08/22/12
I am planning on feeding 100-150 homeless chili for the holidays and was thinking 30LBS of beef is to much? Also I found on the recipe it calls for 30LBS of beans as well. I think thats way to much! Could this be correct?
ellen
08/23/12
Please see the church chili recipe on the chili page for help on amounts. Beans, depends on whether it is dry weight or cooked.
christi
10/19/12
planning wedding receptions for 150 to 175 people. This is what we are planning on i just want to check and make sure its enough.

Shredded pork- 50lbs
Broiled chicken- 170 pieces
4 gallons potato salad
4 gallons macaroni salad
20 dozen dinner rolls
3 gallons jello salad

Do I need another hot dish like baked beans? Or is it good without?

ellen
10/19/12
Christi, if this is the whole meal, you definitely need to add the beans, 4 1/2 gallons and I would also add slaw, 3 1/2 gallons. Increase the potato salad to 6 gallons.

I strongly suggest you add an appetizer table. Here is an excerpt from an upcoming article, about why:

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, including a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient.

One appetizer service area is needed for each 100 guests.

-for this informal meal, the dip could be chips and dip- 1/2 cup dip per person, and 1 pound chips per 10.

ellen
10/19/12
Typo on dip
Christi, that should be 1/4 cup dip per person.
Lynn
11/05/12
Hi,
I am needing to know how much of everything to buy for 150 people. We are having taco salad. Thanks
ellen
11/06/12
Use the taco bar page if they will put it together themselves, allowing 2 ounces chips per person instead of the tortillas and double the lettuce. Or use the "Escape from the trashbag walking taco salad: recipe on this site:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex1.html

KKB
11/08/12
feeding 75 people
Hello, we are planning a Mexican theme for a Christmas luncheon for a department at work. Please advise the proportions we need to buy in order to make the following. Thanks so much for your help!!!!

**Planning on 75**

Seasoned hamburger
Shredded seasoned chicken
Melted white cheese
Shredded Mexican cheeses
Cut up / diced tomatoes
Heads of lettuce
Scoops & flat tortilla chips
Flour tortilla’s (not corn)
Refried beans
Sour cream
Sliced black olives
Jalapeno peppers

Brownies with nuts
Brownies with out nuts
Assorted cookie tray
Vanilla ice cream
Syrups – caramel, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry

ellen
11/09/12
Go to the taco bar page, use 2/3 the amounts for 100. 1 pound chips per 8-10. You need salsa or taco sauce also- about 1 ounce per person.

Brownies, 1 nut per person, 1/4 no nut per person, cookies, about 3 regular size per person. Ice cream, 5 1/2 gallons- you may have some left. syrups, skip vanilla. Syrup 2 quarts chocolate, 1 each strawberry and caramel.
And spray can whip cream, a couple of cans.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation to support this site.

Tabatha
12/08/12
feeding 130 to 150 people
I am planning a sweet 16 party for 130-150 people the menu includes rigatoni, ham bbq, chicken strips, green beans, coleslaw, parsley potatoes, macaroni and cheese, macaroni salad and salad...I need to know about how much of each item I would need. Please help:)
ellen
12/09/12
Hello again. Not ignorong you; this may take another day or two.
ellen
12/10/12
Have to assume 150, and would tweak the menu- way too much pasta-

rigatoni,
macaroni and cheese,
Do a total of 12 pounds dry pasta per 100, divide however you want between the 2 types- but I would probably do just one type

macaroni salad- suggest you go with fruit trays- you have plenty of starch- see the fruit tray page

ham bbq, 1 pound per 4 and don't forget the buns
chicken strips, 2 regular or three smallish per person

green beans,
coleslaw,
salad
all of these, see the plan for 100 list, do 1 1/2 time the amount for 100

parsley potatoes, 35 pounds per 100, you already have several starches

Charlene
12/17/12
feeding 175 people
Menu
Meatball,wingetts, ham sandwiches, pinwheel sandwiches
Potatoe salad, veggie tray, fruit salad, punch and sheet cakehow much of each item will I need?
ellen
12/17/12
Charlene, what is the event, how long does it last, what time of day? Also, you need to use the tables to figure out what you can, for example, the cake size is clear from the dessert planning page. Post your info.
Haley
01/06/13
I am planning on doing a potato bar for my wedding reception. We are not having it catered and have no idea how much of the ingredients we should get.
This is what we plan on getting
- Nacho Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar
- Taco Meat
- Chili
- Bacon Bits
- Ham
- Sour Cream
- Butter
- Salt
- Pepper
ellen
01/06/13
All covered in detail on the taco/potato bar page, see that.
Julia
01/18/13
Having an Italian themed buffet for 150, would be grateful for any quantities & advice thanks
Planning on:
Pasta salad
Green salad
Tomato bruschetta & mozzarella
Salamis
Parma Ham & Melon
Olives
bread sticks
Mixed Antipasti (peppers/sundried tomatoes etc)
French Bread
Cheese board & crackers
ellen
01/18/13
Is this at a mealtime, or non-meal reception? It affects the amounts. Also, are you looking to have everything at room temp, no hot food? Write back.
Jsisso
02/03/13
We are having a Cub Scout blue and gold banquet. We want to serve pull pork sandwiches, salad coleslaw cowboy beans, this is the first time doing this and we haven't a clue how much we need for the stated above. We have about 150 people. HELP!! Not going to panick ... Yet!
ellen
02/03/13
Is this served plates or a self serve buffet? What else is being served, beverages, desserts, sides? What starch such as potato or pasta salad. More info, please.

By the way, 3 cubs usually eat about as much as 2 adults, but from age 12 up, they count as adults.

Jsisso
02/04/13
II have 16 boys most are. 1st -3 grade. It will be self serve with the exception of the pull pork sandwiches. Chips, coffee, tang , cake possibly 2 sheet cakes? Pasta salad could be made also potatoe salad .
ellen
02/04/13
OK, just count as 150 and maybe you will have some leftovers.

A full sheet cake only serves 50- you may need 3.

Use dinner coffee from the beverage planning page.

1 pound chips per 10-12.

10 gallons punch- lemonade is much nicer than Tang....

6 gallons potato or pasta salad, many recipes on this site for 100.

3 1/2-4 gallons cole slaw.

10 pounds dry beans, or 4 1/2 to 5 gallons. Remember that a #10 can only holds 3/4 of a gallon.

1 pound ready to eat pork and 5 buns per each 4 people.

If this saves you time , trouble, or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Jsisso
02/04/13
Ok so if I have one den provide 300 buns and 15 lbs chips, another provide 7 gallons potatoe salad pasta salad and 4 gallons of slaw, and yet another the beans, while the pack provides the meat, beverages and. Cake(s) we should have enough. Right? Bless you I'm really glad your here. Oh what is an acceptable donation for your service?
ellen
02/04/13
200 buns should be plenty if they are standard size. Everything else about right. Donations have ranged from $2 to $300- every little bit helps.
Tammy
02/05/13
Making potato soup to feed 150 people also having corm meal muffins and banana pudding.
How many. Potatos carrots onions milk meal and flour should I need. Thank you.
ellen
02/05/13
You need 1 quart for each 3 if seconds are permitted. Use your favorite recipe- This soup would benefit from adding celery and parsley to your ingredients.
Sharon
02/10/13
I was asked to make food for a benefit dinner for 150 people. They want me to prepare a list of a variety of food and prices so they can choose what they want. I was thinking about Spaghetti and Meatballs, Sausage with peppers and onions, fried chicken, BBQ ribs, Mac & Cheese. Can you give me the quantities I would need to make each of these for 150 so I can figure out a price. Thanks!!
ellen
02/10/13
Sharon, this board is for family and volunteer cooks; I charge for advising paid events. So, please post to the pro catering boards;

chef2chef.com
cheftalk.com

Specify for them whether you are trying to serve all at once or a variety of different menus. For example, a deluxe mac and cheese bar or mashed potato bar can be a stand alone event.

tammy bailey
03/13/13
Hi there,
I am planning an open house for app. 150 people and would like to have a taco bar. I have no idea how much ground beef to prepare. Also, toppings such as tomatoes,lettuce,salsas,cheese...help!!!
Thanks
ellen
03/13/13
Go to the taco bar page and do 1 1/2 times the amounts for 100. It has complete info.
Hope
05/06/13
I have someone who offered to donate a whole pig for my wedding reception. I am planning on having 125-150 people. I was wondering what suggestion you had on types of meat to serve. I don't really want pulled pork as that is not very elegant. I was thinking chops or pork loin. We are also serving meatballs with rice as another option. Any suggestions?
ellen
05/07/13
Serving it whole roasted is about the only way, and this requires a pro. It will serve about 1 person per pound of whole pig. You could have the loins and chops cut, then freeze the rest, but you will have only about 1/3 of the pig for your party.
Anna
05/25/13
I'm making the meal for my friends wedding reception. 150 guests invited.
She wants ;
Spaghetti w meat sauce
Fettuccini Alfredo w Chicken
Stuffed Shells
Salad
Breadsticks
All of which i've made but not at the same time and for this amount of guests. It is a dinner time reception. Thank you for any advice and feedback :)
ellen
05/26/13
First of all, you need about 3-4 people in the kitchen and about 10 people out front to set up, serve, and clean up this meal. Second, you need a appetizer table and here is why:

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, including a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Or, you can go with a theme, such as Italian or Middle Eastern.

One appetizer service area is needed for approximately each 100 guests.

Spaghetti w meat sauce
Fettuccini Alfredo w Chicken
you would do 2/3 red, 1/3 white. About 16 pounds pasta, 10 red, 6 white
Stuffed Shells 1 per person plus 10%

I strongly recommend you add a hot vegetable such as roasted vegetables, broccoli florets, or mixed vegetables. 33-35 pounds.

Salad 1 1/2 times the amount for 100 from the plan for 100 tables

Breadsticks at least 12 pounds per 100, and do provide seasoned olive oil for dipping on the tables, 1 cup per 8-10

Cynthia
06/03/13
Feeding 150 people at my bbq wedding reception:

My caterer is taking care of all the main food & dessert with the exception of appetizers & beverages. We will offer tortilla chips/guacamole & salsa along w/pita chips & hummus - all bought from one of the big warehouse stores.

How much tortilla chips would feed 150 people ?
How much guac & salsa should I buy ?
I'll go a bit less on the hummus & pita chips as that probably won't go as much as the chips/salsa.

Also, how much beer/wine coolers ? 26 people out of the confirmed 150 are kids/teens and probably about 1/2 the crowd are social drinkers.

Thank you for your advise !

ellen
06/04/13
tortilla chips, 1 pound per 12
guacamole, 1 cup per 5
salsa, 1 cup per 6

pita chips, 1 pound per 15
hummus, 1 cup per 5

Consider adding fruit trays.

beer/wine cooler, estimate using the beverage page. Beer drinkers drink about 4 beers.
For the wine coolers, take a look at the High Wire white wine sangria on this site. Cheaper, MUCH tastier and looks beautiful when served as a punch.
probably about 1/2 the crowd are social drinkers- not clear if the rest are non-drinkers or heavy?
Plan on dinner level coffee as discussed on the beverage page with the cake if you are having drinking.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

jamie
06/26/13
I am hosting a free camp for 8-18 year olds. I have approximately 50 adults including teens and 40 8-12 year olds. The water where we are having this camp is unsuitable for drinking it is strong sulfur. Can you help me determine the amount of drinks needed. This camp is for the end of July with 90-100degrees heat and lasts for three days. We will provide three meals a day plus evening snacks. We are placing drink stations near all of the sports and games. Tea, Koolaid, Milk, juice, Gatorade, lemonade
Teresa
06/27/13
serving 250-300 people
Cooking for my Daughter's wedding serving right around 250-300 people. Have looked at serversl sites including yours and talked to alot of people and I'm still confused and panicing. I'm hopeing you can help me.
We are serving: beef turkey and pork cooked on a spit
Baked beans
Cheesy potatoes
Tossed salad
Pasta salad
Friut salad
Rolls
The appetizers are:
Cut up veggies and cheesechucks
Teresa
06/27/13
serving 250-300 people
Cooking for my Daughter's wedding serving right around 250-300 people. Have looked at serversl sites including yours and talked to alot of people and I'm still confused and panicing. I'm hopeing you can help me.
We are serving: beef turkey and pork cooked on a spit
Baked beans
Cheesy potatoes
Tossed salad
Pasta salad
Friut salad
Rolls
The appetizers are:
Cut up veggies and cheesechucks
I am so hoping you can help me the wedding is in a month. Thank you for your time
Teresa
ellen
06/27/13
Ok, first take some really deep breaths and read my article called wedding dinners, button at the top of the forum page, and you will see that the reason you are feeling panicky is, you have a huge amount to do between now and then. These plans usually start 6-12 months ahead.

I am going to make some suggestions about menu and service. If you have not already started setting up, you need to make some modifications. I also need some information:
-are you having a catering crew cook or drop off the meats?
-how long is the reception and when does it start and end
- is alcohol being served?
-What type kitchen, how many ovens, etc?
I can't do all the specifics till you send this info.

Next, for 300 people you need i9mmediately to find reliable help: a kitchen manager for the day; 5-6 people in the kitchen, 18 to 20 people to set up serve and clean up the site day of; 1 person for ice; 1 person to handle rentals, pick up and return; 1 person for cake; 2 people for beverages, pickup, serve and return, and none of these can be you. Usual pay is $100 per person for the wait staff and 125-200 for the cooks.

For 300 people, you need 3 appetizer areas, 4 beverage areas, 4-6 serving lines, which is 2-3 double-sided lines, if you want to serve everyone in less than an hour.

Now about food amounts, remember that for 300 people, you are talking about 500 pounds of food, not counting beverages. Where are you planning to shop and store?

Meats-180 pounds ready to serve. With 3 choices, people take more, often some of each; 90 beef, 45 each pork and turkey.

Second about the meat, I URGE you to have it catered and served, or at least catered and dropped off day of- then you have some hope of success with the rest.
Next, again assuming 300 people.
Baked beans- good- 9 gallons

Cheesy potatoes- please skip these. You would need 38 frozen pans (you can only do 4 at a time in the oven) or 6 roasters (and you can only plug in 1 per room/circuit without blowing a fuse.) Either cold potato salad or hot German potato salad would be a fine choice- 4 gallons per hundred, 40 pounds raw potatoes per 100.

Tossed salad- use the plan for 100 salad table, do 3 times.
Pasta salad- 6 pounds dry pasta per 100

Fruit salad-change this to fruit trays and make it part of your appetizers

Consider adding in an easy veg, veg casserole or veg salad, for example, roasted veggies can be done ahead and served room temp.

Rolls- 12-14 pounds per 100, 2 pounds butter per 100

appetizers
Cut up veggies- 2 ounces per person, see the veggie tray page. What I would do is 3 classic relish trays, one for each table, see the veggie tray page, and plain veggies for 100, with 2 ounces veggies per person and one cup ranch dip per 6-8.
Add the fruit trays here
cheese chunks- 30-35 pounds cheese, some can be spreads or logs, 18-20 pounds crackers.

You need beverages- beverages and utensils are discussed on the beverage planning page.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

Meghan
07/02/13
Hi, very similar to other questions but a little different. We are having 160-180 guests and serving a taco bar and tamales. We are having the tamales made and delivered that afternoon and I ordered 150. Is that a good amount? The taco bar will have shredded chicken and ground beef with the choice of hard shell, soft corn, and soft white tortillas. How much do I need of both chicken and beef? We are also having all the fixings for tacos and tamales and I got amounts from your other posts. For side dishes we are having a mexican coleslaw and a rice and bean dish. How much of that should I have?
ellen
07/02/13
Hi, Meghan.
When I order tamales, I never order less than 2 per person, some vegetarian.

The chicken and beef is as discussed on the taco bar page, just increase to 1 1/2 for 150.

4 gallons cole slaw
I usually do 8 pounds each dry rice and beans per 100

Meghan
07/03/13
Hi ellen thanks so much for the response. So you think each person is going to have 2 tamales and two tacos? According to the taco bar page I need 37.5 pounds of meat, should I do half beef and half chicken? Thanks
ellen
07/03/13
Yep, most people just gobble down their tamales as if they were rolls- do 2/3 beef and 1/3 chicken if your crowd is typical-
Ginger
07/20/13
Amazing website Thanks.

Feeding 150 Teens. Nacho Bar. Limited Budget.

My understanding is that teens want fewer choices but lots of food. I read over your taco page. Will you just confirm I'm not way off- over or under.

We are NOT doing chicken. Only Beef.

I know you have answered these taco bar questions a million times. Thanks again.

Right now I'm about $100 under budget so I'm getting worried that I'm way off on my numbers.

I have
12 lbs of chips
5lbs of sour cream
70 lbs before cooking Beef
will precook and serve in turkey cooker)
2 #10 cans of cheese (to warm in a crockpot)
3 1 lb cans of jalapenos
6 heads of lettuce (to chop up fine)
6 tomoatos (To chop up fine)
1 #10 can and several 1 lb cans of tomatoes
to use as a basis for salsa (Cilantro, onions, lemon juice and vinigar, garlic, jalepenos, and a bit of sugar).
2 crockpots of beans (donated by someone else)
2 salad dressings (in case someone wants a taco salad instead)

If this sounds OK amount wise we will probably add
- chopped olives
- guacamole
- melon salad -

ellen
07/21/13
Here is how I would tweak it:

12 lbs of chips-20 pounds at least- you need at least 2 ounces per teen
5 lbs of sour cream- Would get at least 9. If you put it squeeze containers (like the ones mayo comes in, that make a ribbon) after thinning with a bit of buttermilk, it lasts longer
70 lbs before cooking Beef-50 plenty
will precook and serve in turkey cooker)
2 #10 cans of cheese (to warm in a crockpot)- I get 2 cans per hundred with one extra for backup- would have 5 on hand for this crowd
3 1 lb cans of jalapenos- OK
6 heads of lettuce (to chop up fine)-at least 10 pounds, 12 would not be too much
6 tomatoes (To chop up fine)??? If as a topping, at least 8 pounds
1 #10 can and several 1 lb cans of tomatoes
to use as a basis for salsa (Cilantro, onions, lemon juice and vinegar, garlic, jalepenos, and a bit of sugar)OK
2 crockpots of beans (donated by someone else) need about double- add 2 more cans of refried
2 salad dressings (in case someone wants a taco salad instead)- about 3 quarts
You might add chopped red or green onions

If this sounds OK amount wise we will probably add
- chopped olives- #10 can
- guacamole*
- melon salad - for help with amounts see fruit tray page

3 good choices, *but a sufficient amount of guacamole will be very costly. Some restaurant supply shops have frozen avocado, which would help.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Ginger
07/21/13
Thanks. This is amazing and it does save time/money effort. I'll see if I can budget it in my personal budget this next month.
Ginger
07/21/13
When you say 2 cans of refried beans you mean the #10 cans correct?
Ginger
07/21/13
I'm sorry. Let me try again...

2 cans of refried beans in the #10 cans Correct?
And do you mean double the beans and also add two #10 can beans of refried beans? Or keep the beans we have donated and just add refried beans?

Do you have any suggestions on melons? I'm thinking watermelons and maybe a few other melons (honeydo, cantaloupe) thrown in for color and variety but mostly watermelon.
Amounts?

Ginger
07/21/13
I'm sorry. I'm reading frantically...

Melons- it looks like about one lb per person on servings. So 100-150 lbs of different kinds of melons will probably be fine. Served in slices based on what I'm seeing on the fruit page.

Considering that it is teens maybe Melon is too frou frou? Maybe you have another suggestion? Another cheaper suggestion maybe?

Spanish rice? cake for dessert?

Argh. I was recently put into a position that is going to require cooking for large crowds. It is all new to me. Donation done.

ellen
07/21/13
Deep breaths, deep breaths.

For a fruit tray for teens, watermelon with just a little of the others for color is fine and cheap and popular. Half pound total per person is plenty.

Yes keep the beans you have and just add 2 #10 cans refried.

Spanish rice is 8 pounds dry per 100, there are a bunch of recipes for 100 on the site.

Cobbler or dump cake is easy and popular. It takes about 4 gallons ice cream to make a side scoop for 100 people.

Kim
09/15/13
I am planning a hot dog benefit for 125 people. I need to know how many hot dogs, buns, how much chili, baked beans and cole slaw. Thank you!
ellen
09/15/13
If you are serving, allow 2 per person. If self serve, you will need several dozen more. You need 2 packages of vegetarian hot dogs, these are usually in the produce section or the freezer. Cook them completely separately from the meat ones.

Get good rolls. For real pro results and less spills, find the rather rectangular ones that are slit across the top, not down the side.

Do hot dog chili or coney sauce for 100, it is on a thread nearby here in the cook talk. You can use the search feature for "coney sauce".
3 gallons of beans, that is 4 #10 CANS.
3 gallons of slaw, lots of recipes on this site.

Mustard, ketchup, relish etc, see the sandwich page, 1 1/4 times the amount for 100. Add a big jar of sport peppers and about 6 pounds fine chopped onions.

ellen
09/15/13
If you are serving, allow 2 per person. If self serve, you will need several dozen more. You need 2 packages of vegetarian hot dogs, these are usually in the produce section or the freezer. Cook them completely separately from the meat ones.

Get good rolls. For real pro results and less spills, find the rather rectangular ones that are slit across the top, not down the side.

Do hot dog chili or coney sauce for 100, it is on a thread nearby here in the cook talk. You can use the search feature for "coney sauce".
3 gallons of beans, that is 4 #10 CANS.
3 gallons of slaw, lots of recipes on this site.

Mustard, ketchup, relish etc, see the sandwich page, 1 1/4 times the amount for 100. Add a big jar of sport peppers and about 6 pounds fine chopped onions.

Linda
11/26/13
feeding 120 people
We are feeding 120-the food will be served. How much coleslaw mix(no dressing) will we need? Also serving a corn dish that cooks in crockpots-it has cream cheese, butter plus half & half. How many pounds of corn would you think we need. The original recipe calls for 2 lbs frozen corn & we planned to serve 1/2 cup. Thanks
ellen
11/26/13
Hi, Linda,
about 24 pounds of slaw mix.
about 28 pounds of corn.

Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving. If the budget allows, please make a small donation to support this site- Thanks.

Linda
11/26/13
Thanks for your answer above. We plan to use a creamy Italian dressing, adding sugar to taste for the 24 lb of coleslaw. How much dressing should we plan to buy? Thanks again
Lina
11/26/13
feeding 130 people
I noticed that I had said we were feeding 120, it's actually 130. This event is stressing me out. I forgot to mention above, that we had planned to add one #10 can of pineapple tidbits as well to the original plan of 20 pounds of slaw. Should we buy more now that we're buying 30 pounds(this was my partner's doing)of slaw? This is for a 'luau' type party.
ellen
11/26/13
Linda, save some money and make one of the slaw dressings from my many slaws for 100 recipes on this site. You will also have the right am,ount. You can use the pineapple juice for part of the liquid, it's good. 130 is about the same as as 120.

30 pounds and you will have a lot left...

Mick
03/28/14
I need to cook stew for 150 people how much should I cook in liters ?
ellen
03/31/14
About 1 liter per 3 if served over rice, or 2 liters per 5 if the potatoes are the only starch.
Cathy dailey
06/20/14
Feeding 150 people at outdoor wedding
I am feeding 150 people at outdoor BBQ wedding. Here's what I have.
80 lb pig roasted and served on site
25. 1/2 chickens
12 full racks of busy back ribs
15 lb pulled pork
100 serving baked beans
100 servings green beans
100 servings cole slaw
75 servings potAtoe salad
200 drinks. Coke, diet coke, sprite, water
3 servers

Is this enough? Please help?

ellen
06/20/14
Cathy, you have plenty of meat, but your sides are short.

100 serving baked beans- 4-5 gallons
100 servings green beans-25-30 pounds
100 servings cole slaw-4 gallons
75 servings potAtoe salad- 5-6 gallons- this is very short- almost everyone will take, and some will take double
200 drinks. Coke, diet coke, sprite, water
short. See the beverage planning page.
2 12-16 ounce cups per person
CANS
2 cans per person
Flavors: about 1/2 regular caffeinated, 1/4 sugar-free caffeinated, balance mixed fruit and sugar-free non-caffeinated
30 to 40 pounds ice per large cooler

I would do 200 waters in addition
3 servers- this does not count grillers (2 at least if you are doing the chickens) and 1-2 kitchen/cooks

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a small donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site- Thanks.

Jess
07/03/14
Feeding 150 people hamburgers and hot dogs how much of each should I get
Evelyn Bell
07/04/14
feeding 150 people Outdoor wedding
My daughter wants an outdoor afternoon wedding/reception for about 150 guests. She wants to serve Mediterranean dishes: Hummus and pita, fattouch salad (Mixed greens, vegetables, feta and fried Pita strips,Lentils in rice, Tabbouleh, Persian Rice, and Chicken Kebabs. Instead of a cake she wants pies. This is a picnic theme in a park setting. We want to purchase food from our local Persian market. It's prepared and ready to go. Need to know how much. Thanks for your help
ellen
07/05/14
Evelyn, if you schedule the wedding for 1 or 1:30, you will use a lot less food than for a full meal, and this menu would be perfect.

Mediterranean dishes:
Hummus and pita, 1 cup hummus per 4-5, 1/2 pita per person, plus a few extra, cut in wedges
fattouch salad (Mixed greens, vegetables, feta) fried Pita strips, 1 ounce per person
Lentils in rice, 1 cup per 3
Tabbouleh, 1 cup per 4
Persian Rice, 1 cup per 3
Chicken Kebabs, 1 pound ready to eat per 4

Consider adding dolmas, stuffed grape leaves. Excellent ones available canned, my favorite brands are Aetna or Aegean. They are about 60 per can, not expensive, 4 cans would be nice, and you can decorate with olives, lemon slices, and cherry tomatoes, maybe some chunk feta.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Betty
10/05/14
We're having our annual meal at church-about 150 people. How many whole chickens do we need to buy to make chicken pie (no vegetables), green beans, and sweet potatoes to make candied yams?
Susie
10/06/14
This sight is awesome!
My daughter wants an outdoor rustic wedding for approx. 150 guests. We are on a super insane tight budget!
Here's our menu plan:
Ceremony 2pm
Appetizers afterwards: veggies/dip, chips/salsa, lemonade, ice tea, water
Dinner 4:30
Cream of potatoe soup
Toppings: chopped ham, chopped or shredded chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, corn, chopped green onions, sour cream.
Hearty breads: sliced sourdough, jalapeño cornbread, rosemary crusty French, plain French
Butter pats? Or whipped butter?
Salad: romaine, iceberg, spring mix all tossed together, or should I leave out the spring mix?
Dressings: ranch, Italian
Beverages: same as appetizer
Dessert bar: small wedding cake for bride/groom, asst. of brownies, lemon bars, cookies, peanut clusters, homemade mints. (Friends helping with these)
Hot beverages served with dessert: coffee, tea, cocoa, hot water

I have 4-20 qt sized roaster crockpots to serve the soup from. I would need 2 sterno servers for ham and chicken.
My brain is like mush and I need some help with amounts of what I'm serving. Including how much of beverages. Also, what's the best way to serve Italian dressing? You have to shake it each time for serving....I really just wanted to stick with Ranch. Lol!
Thank you!!!

ellen
10/07/14
feeding 150 people- midafternoon rustic wedding
Ceremony 2pm

Appetizers afterwards:
veggies/dip, use veggie tray page or 2 classic relish trays
chips/salsa, 1 pound chips per 12, 1 pint salsa/dip per pound
You need to add here; consider a fruit tray. Definitely add a cheese tray, or hummus tray, or middle Eastern tray
lemonade, 12 gallons for both
ice tea, 12 gallons, 1/3 unsweetened with packet sweeteners
water- 2 bottles per person, buy where you can return unopened cases

Dinner 4:30
If the ceremony is 2 pm, you need to serve no later than 4
Cream of potato soup
Add a non-dairy soup; could be lentil, vegetable, tomato
You need 10 gallons of a single soup, or 12 of two, split 2/3, 1/3
OR consider doing a baked potato bar instead of the soup, easier to handle; 3/4 white, 1/4 sweet potatoes

Toppings: chopped ham, chopped or shredded chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, corn, chopped green onions, sour cream.
Suggest you use the taco/potato bar page for the toppings, corn, about 3 quarts
Hearty breads: sliced sourdough, jalapeño cornbread, rosemary crusty French, plain French
I would put these in baskets on the tables and have the table servers keep them filled, and swap one of the whites for a rye or seeded. About 1 pound per 8. Put whipped butter on the tables, 1 cup per table. Maybe also a nut butter (almond or cashew?) and a pot of ood preserves?
Butter pats? Or whipped butter?
Salad: romaine, iceberg, spring mix all tossed together, or should I leave out the spring mix? 12-14 pounds, spring mix is fine, add a few pounds shredded carrots and tiny tomatoes for color.
Dressings: ranch, Italian
Put these, in bottles, on the tables- snap tops make them easy to close and shake. Have an Italian, a ranch and a low fat ranch
Consider adding a cold bean salad; marinated 3 or 4 bean or French style white bean, 3-4 gallons
Beverages: same as appetizer already covered
Dessert bar: small wedding cake for bride/groom, asst. of brownies, lemon bars, cookies, peanut clusters, homemade mints. (Friends helping with these) have at least 4 pieces per guest of the cookies, and make a brownie each, small cuts, 2-3 bites, and some without nuts. These could also be put on the platters on the tables, at the start of the meal (it's a new trend).
Hot beverages served with dessert: coffee, tea, cocoa, hot water, use the beverage planning page, reception level coffee, and do have some decaf.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

terri
11/08/14
I need to know how many pounds of chicken finger do I need & how much pounds of green salad mix & dressings & fruit?
ellen
11/09/14
Terri, is this a buffet dinner for 150 and is this the only food, or what is the full menu? More info on service and menu, please.
Mike
12/17/14
Feeding 130 people steaks with mushrooms and onions as a topping. I Have the steaks covered. I need to know how many oz. of sliced button mushrooms and how many lbs. of vidalias to get to feed everyone.
ellen
12/18/14
About 2-3 ounces raw mushrooms per person for generous cover, because they cook way down. About 1 pound onions for 10-12. Consider slicing the onions and roasting to caramelize.
Jay
01/28/15
Feeding 150 people
We are hosting a hospitality room at a conference for an estimated 150 people. The menu is hot dogs, chili, nacho chips and cheese, condoments, and drinks. The next day, we will serve cold cuts sandwhiches, chips and drinks to around 100 people. This is the first time we've done this and REALLY need help determining how much food to buy.
ellen
01/29/15
Jay, is this over lunch time and do you expect all 150 to come eat, or are there other choices? Please send more info.
kelly
04/02/15
wedding reception for approx 150 people. how much parsley potatoes and a vegetable. we are roasting a pig with kielbasa and sauerkraut also.
ellen
04/03/15
60-65 pounds of potatoes. 32 pounds ready to cook veg. Suggest you also add slaw, 4 gallons.

Do have 1 crock pot full of vegetarian sausages such as Field Roast for any non-pork eaters!

Strongly suggest you add an appetizer plan, and here is why:

A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. {Especially with grilling or a pig roast!} By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area serves about 100 guests.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thank you and happy Easter.

Debbie
04/05/15
We are in the planning stages of my daughters wedding. To keep cost down she thinks it would be better to have hamburgers and hot dogs and not get help from a caterer. I Don't COOK!!! Can you tell me how many pounds of meat we would need to buy? I am comparing prices. Thank you so much!!
ellen
04/05/15
Hi, Debbie,

It is great to start planning early, but this is not the direction to plan, this is an awkward and relatively expensive meal, see this message:

www.ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/51727.html

Debbie, please read the wedding dinner planning article on this site. There are many ways to cut costs and 2 of the best are to schedule the wedding at 1 pm with an afternoon reception to follow, or 7 pm with a cake/dessert bar and maybe champagne; or to schedule at 10/11 and do brunch. Read the article on the festive family brunch on this site for inspiration.

It is also critical to keep the guest list to 120 or fewer , especially if you"don't cook". For a meal, you are looking at about $10 per person, minimum, not counting the cake and any alcohol. Over about 100 you are looking at renting a commercial kitchen and having to hire some paid help.

Talk further among yourselves and write back. Start a new thread, so I can find your question easily.

Kristi
06/23/15
feeding 50 people
I'm feeding 50 people for a baby shower brunch. The menu includes a yogurt parfait bar with yogurt, granola, sliced almonds, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. I'm planning on letting them serve to toppings themselves, but how much of each item should I buy to feed 50 people?
ellen
06/23/15
Kristi, I need to know what else is being served. Write back.
Kristi
06/23/15
feeding 50 people
Sorry, the full brunch menu is:

Pigs in a blanket
Donut Holes
Waffle Dippers (served in shot glass)
Cake & Cupcakes
Yogurt Parfait Bar

ellen
06/23/15
This is a pleasant menu, but very sweet and carb-loaded, and it might be important to have an egg dish and/or savory veg dish. A Spanish frittatta with eggs and veggies would be a great addition. 4 dozen eggs, 4 9x13 pans.

Pigs in a blanket, small sausages? 2 per person
Donut Holes, might skip these with the waffles and cakes; otherwise, 2 per person
Waffle Dippers (served in shot glass),2 per person
Cake & Cupcakes, standard cake cuts 10 pieces, 9x13 cuts 12
Yogurt Parfait Bar , 1 quart yogurt per 5
granola, 1cup per 5
sliced almonds,1 cup per 8-10
maybe raisins?1 cup per 10

raspberries, blueberries and strawberries, total 1 quart per 10, but consider having at least 1 fruit (cherry, pineapple, peach) that is not full of seeds.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you

Jess Jaymalin
07/02/15
Hello, Feeding about 150 people and our menu:
40 lbs Chicken katsu
40 lbs Lemon peppered chicken thigh/drumsticks
50 lbs Korean ribs
14 lbs salmon filet
14 lbs butterfly shrimp
80 lbs rice
2 huge bowls oriental salad
15 lbs mixed veggies

Desserts and beverage will be taken care of by all :-) (potluck style)

Will that be enough? Thank you

ellen
07/03/15
Way too much meat for 150 people.

40 lbs Chicken katsu-20
40 lbs Lemon peppered chicken thigh/drumsticks-20
50 lbs Korean ribs-25-30
14 lbs salmon filet- OK
14 lbs butterfly shrimp-OK
80 lbs rice-15 pounds dry
2 huge bowls oriental salad- at least 5 gallons
15 lbs mixed veggies-28-30 pounds

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you

Kolette
07/23/15
Feeding 150 for 70th birthday party dinner. Menu includes 4 oz salmon filets, mixed green salad, pine nut and golden raisin cucous, steamed broccoli, pasta salad, sun dried tomato cucumber cups, iced tea. Dessert is catered. how much fish is needed (lbs) or pieces and lbs of pasta, green salad, dressing and coucous. Freaking out..please help
Kolette
07/24/15
Feeding 150 for 70th birthday party dinner. Menu includes 4 oz salmon filets, mixed green salad, pine nut and golden raisin cucous, steamed broccoli, pasta salad, sun dried tomato cucumber cups, iced tea. Dessert is catered. how much fish is needed (lbs) or pieces and lbs of pasta, green salad, dressing and coucous. Freaking out..please help
ellen
07/24/15
It is unusual to serve fish only to this large a group. Would you consider adding a chicken dish? Write back about this.
If you do only fish, you would do about 65 pounds

I am estimating for 150,

mixed green salad, 1 1/2 the amount for 100 from the plan for 100 page
pine nut and golden raisin couscous, end up with 7 1/2 gallons
steamed broccoli, 40 pounds ready to cook

pasta salad, start with 8 pounds dry pasta
sun dried tomato cucumber cups, about 200 unless they are very small

iced tea, 3 gallons sweet, gallon unsweetened. Consider adding dinner level coffee for dessert, see beverage planning page

Heather
11/28/15
185 People Yogurt Bar
I need to feed 185 people with a yogurt bar for brunch. How many pints/packages of strawberries and blue berries should i purchase? How many gallons of yogurt?

Thanks!

ellen
11/28/15
What else is being served?
Debbie
12/03/15
Hi Ellen. I am having about 110 people for my daughters sweet 18th bday party. Even mixture of kids/adults. I am planning on doing 25 large pizza pies. Caesar salad from your party for 100. for drinks I am getting 16 2 liters of soda and now thinking a few gallons of iced tea. I am stuck for the appetizers. I have 8 party size bags of 4 different kinds of chips, was going to make dip and salsa. I'm stuck on how much for the cheese tray and maybe a fruit tray. Does that sound like enough food? I usually over due it for parties but have never had so many people and had to supply all of the food. Do you have any suggestions?
ellen
12/03/15
feeding 110 people-pizza party
Fruit tray is a very good addition, do about 2/3 of the deluxe tray for 100, or 4 times the simple tray for 25 from the fruit tray page.

About 1 pint dip/salsa per pod of chips. You might consider queso or another hot dip.

For the cheeses, think about cheese logs/balls spreads. These can be flavored. For example, a cream cheese and fruit spread served with ginger snaps as dippers; hummus with cracker and veggie dippers; cheddar and ham/bacon cheese ball with crackers. 1 ounce per person,6 pounds crackers /cookies.

You can write back. If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Debbie
12/06/15
Thank you Ellen, do the other amounts seem OK. The party starts at 2, the birthday girl arriving at 2:30 and I would have pizza delivered by 3:30 ish. the party ends by 6. I thought about a queso that I usually make for our house parties, but wasn't sure about using a crock pot at a clubhouse. I have a heating tray, if I put it in an aluminum pan would that keep the dip warm and not stiff? I will do a fruit tray also.
ellen
12/06/15
Crock pot is fine for the clubhouse,just position so the cord can't trip anyone. Other amounts are OK.
Lynette
01/04/16
feeding 200 people
We are having a fundraiser for medical bills for a local family. We are serving spaghetti with red and white sauce, meatballs, garlic bread, dessert, and a salad bar. We are trying to figure out amounts for the salad bar. We were thinking: 20 lbs lettuce (variety), 15 cucumbers sliced thin, 15 bell peppers thin strips, 3 lbs radishes sliced, 10 lbs grape tomatoes, several small jars pepperoncinis, 5 red onions sliced, and croutons. We didn't want any leftovers, and want as much money to go the family as possible. Am I too conservative?
ellen
01/04/16
Here are some salad bar helpers on this site:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/saladbar.html

www.ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/34788.html

However, if this is a fundraiser, the least costly is a prepared salad with maybe a few added toppings (croutons, Parmesan, for example); see the spaghetti dinner at the bottom of this page, you would do 3 1/2 times the amount for 200 for a self serve buffet, about 3 if you are serving:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/sphagetti.html

Brenda
02/29/16
I am helping my daughter with a reception following her son's christening immediately after in church hall. We expect 150. We thought spiral cut ham (how big?) small buns chips and maybe veggie tray. Church lady is making a special cake. Sweet tea and lemonade -- how many gallons? Also ice cream to serve with cake (how many gallons?). Thanks for any suggestions.
ellen
02/29/16
I need to know what time the reception starts and how long it lasts- that affects amounts. Also0, you will want to offer a second, non-pork meat choice, could be turkey or a seafood, tuns, or egg salad. What's your preference. Write back.
Melissa
05/31/16
I am having a BBQ for 120 people. We will serve chicken breast kebabs, veggie kebabs (onion/pepper/mushroom) and rice. I plan on 10 - 12 ponds of rice cooked in the oven but unsure of meat quantities. Will 40 pound of chicken breasts be sufficient? Also, how many pounds of veggies? I am cooking them on separate skewers not mixed with the meat.
ellen
06/01/16
feeding 120 people
For 120 people with kebabs, I would do 40 pounds boneless chicken, plus some skewers of tofu chunks for any vegetarians. Use extra firm tofu, cut 3 horizontal slices, press under weight in fridge (plate with can on it, on top of slices, cut into large cubes brushed with oil and tamari and grilled- can also be same sauce as chicken, but don't use meat brush on tofu).

The veggies, at least 1 pound ready to cook per 3. You can do tiny potatoes or chunks of sweet or white potatoes, if you parboil them.

Do the 12 pounds of rice, maybe even 15, each pound only makes about 8 cups and many people serve themselves a full cup.

The Greek village salad or any of the salads that hold would be great with this menu.
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/salads1100.html

Now it's my turn to ask a favor of you. EllensKitchen.com is remodeling and I want to provide the changes YOU (my readers) have been asking for. So after 18 years of supporting my readers as a hobby, I'm asking you for help
We're 10% of the way to our goal for the next three months. If you're able to donate even just $5, please click on the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and keep us cooking for another year!

suzie
08/22/16
Serving Frito pie for 150 for my sons afternoon wedding. Menu fritos chili beans lettuce tomatoes cheese sour cream are all layered on top of the plate of fritos. Also how many gallons of salsa ? I am putting bowls of salsa on each table for guests. How many lbs o chips too. Thanks
ellen
08/26/16
Suzie, look at the walking taco salad on this site. You can count on the recipe to serve 25. I would serve this buffet style, chips first, the the other toppings. Strongly recommend you have at least one meat choice!

At least 1 pound chips per 8-10.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex1.html

The taco/potato bar page will also help with toppings:

ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/potabar1.html

PLEASE make an appetizer plan, here is why:

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area serves about 100 guests. You would do 2.

Hope this helps. Now I need to ask for your help in return!
We've got major changes in the works to remodel EllensKitchen.com and in order to fund the new website, better searches and more help for your events, we need to raise nearly $20,000 within the next three months! For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase.
Even if you can only afford $10-$20, every gift helps.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and help me keep helping you.

Jennie
03/10/17
I am president of a PTO and we will be feeding breakfast to the teachers next week.

Trying to figure out how much we need for our Yogurt parfait's. We wanted to do Greek yogurt, blueberries, strawberries and granola. I know not all will eat this and we will have muffins as well, but I wanted to know how much I need to make sure we have enough. Can you help? Jennie

ellen
03/10/17
Jennie, if you are thinking of assembling these ahead, they will get soggy.

If you are feeding dozens, not 100's, consider two options:

1- buy flats (24 cups) of the yogurt in cups. Put out bowls with the fruits and berries and granola, also some honey bears and packets of turbinado sugar. If the menu is just muffins, about 20 out of 25 will take a yogurt. If other items, eggs etc, about 10 out of 25.

For each cup, get 2 tablespoons granola, 1 tablespoon blueberries (a pint is about 16 servings), 2 strawberries (a quart has about 24, so 12 servings), rinse berries and trim strawberries day of. Nice to have some raisins and sunflower seeds, too.

2- Buy quarts or gallons, with bowls and spoons, and let people serve themselves. each quart makes 4 to 5.

Nanci
07/09/17
feeding 120 people
Hi....we are hosting our son's wedding brunch and are having the main part of the meal catered However, we would like to have some pre brunch appetizers as well. I'm planning on a yogurt bar and am wondering how much yogurt I will need. Thank you!
ellen
07/10/17
feeding 120 people
If you expect everyone to have some, and it is the only choice, 4 gallons of yogurt, then about 1 tablespoon per person of each fine topping, or about 2 1/2 quarts, for things like granola, nuts or seeds, or small berries, as discusssed just above . for strawberries a quart container serves 12-15.

However, you might consider going with a deluxe fruit tray such as my deluxe tray for 100 and trays of min scones- the golden scone recipe on site is delicious- or other mini muffins/pastries. Much easier and neater to eat while circulating with a cup of coffee or a mimosa.

Dana
07/13/17
My son is getting married in October at 3:00 in the afternoon. We are planning for 150 people and want to check with you to make sure we have plenty of food. This is our menu with approximate quantities:
2-inch Meatballs - 300
Grilled Tenderloin Chicken - 80 lbs.
Broccoli Normandy - 32 lbs.
Lettuce Mix - 25 lbs
Grape Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Onions, Cucumbers to add - how much each one?
Penny pasta w/sauce - 12 lbs
Rolls that can double as sandwich or dinner rolls - 18 doz

Nacho/Salsa Bar
Chips
Salsa - Home-made
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Artichoke Dip
Nacho Sauce
Accessories - Fresh & Jarred Jalapenos, Home-made hot
pepper relish

Cheese Table
10-12 lbs Assorted Cheese
5 lbs Pepperoni
Assorted Mustards
Crackers?

Veggie Table
10-12 lbs Assorted Vegetables (Green Peppers, Carrots,
Celery, Cauliflower)
Dip - Quantity ?
Marinated Mushrooms - 4 - 32 oz jars
Marinated Asparagus - 4 - 32 oz jars
Pickled Cauliflower (Homemade) - 4 Quarts
Assorted Pickles and Olives - Quantity ?

Dessert Table
Chocolate Chip - Peanut Butter - Sugar - Fancy Cookies - How many total?
Breads - Pumpkin, Zucchini, Banana, Lemon/Blueberry - 4 large each?

Beverage Area - Bottled water, Iced tea, Lemonade, Assorted cans of Soda

There will also be cupcakes in lieu of a cake.

ellen
07/18/17
This is an interesting time slot, as the food after will be snack
Consider some tweaks that will make for easier eating.
2 inch Meatballs- 300- do 20 pounds of 1 ounce (1") meatballs- easier eating, 6 quarts sauce
Grilled Tenderloin Chicken - 80 lbs.- 50 pounds plenty
Broccoli Normandy - 32 lbs.- will have leftovers
Lettuce Mix - 25 lbs- too much, 15 pounds will have leftovers
Grape Tomatoes- 6 pounds, Green Peppers-2 pounds slivered and I suggest you use red and yellow for flavor and color, Onions-1 pound, Cucumbers- 2-3 pounds slice very thin to add - how much each one? 5-6 quarts dressing, use the larger amount if thick
Penny pasta w/sauce - 12 lbs- dry weight rotini is easier to serve and eat, and you COULD go with a pasta salad
Rolls that can double as sandwich or dinner rolls - 18 doz18-20 pounds, 4 pounds butter
You need mayo, mustard, see the sandwich page condiment plan

Nacho/Salsa Bar
Chips- 12 pounds corn
For dips, sauces, you want 1 pint per pound total, but the chicken dip will go fast, some extra there is OK
Salsa - Home-made
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Artichoke Dip
Nacho Sauce- 2 #10 cans, about 6-7 quarts
Accessories - Fresh & Jarred Jalapenos, 1 gallon; Home-made hot
pepper relish, 2-3 quarts

Cheese Table
10-12 lbs Assorted Cheese, OK some can be logs or spreads
5 lbs Pepperoni, could go up to 10
Assorted Mustards
Crackers?about 8 pounds plus about 6 loaves of cocktail rye (Pepperidge Farm makes this)

Veggie Table
10-12 lbs Assorted Vegetables (Green Peppers- suggest you do red and yellow, agan for color and flavor, Carrots,
Celery, Cauliflower), maybe add a couple pounds cuke sticks
Dip - Quantity ? 4-6 quarts
Marinated Mushrooms - 4 - 32 oz jars
Marinated Asparagus - 4 - 32 oz jars
Pickled Cauliflower (Homemade) - 4 Quarts
Assorted Pickles and Olives - Quantity ? 1 gallon total

Dessert Table
Chocolate Chip - Peanut Butter - Sugar - Fancy Cookies - How many total? Make small cookies- 1 1/2-2 inches- people would rather try several flavors than have a big one. 2 per person
Breads - Pumpkin, Zucchini, Banana, Lemon/Blueberry - 4 large each? Plenty, with cupcakes, 3 each might do

Beverage Area - Bottled water, Iced tea, Lemonade, Assorted cans of Soda

Urge you to provide coffee and decaf. See beverage planning page.

Hope this helps. Now I need to ask for your help in return!
For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase. New web design coming!
Even if you can only afford $10-$20, every gift helps.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and help me keep helping you.

Rachel Brown
07/20/17
I am doing a continental style breakfast for 150 people. I am providing the following:

donuts
breakfast pastries
bagels
cream cheese for bagels
yogurt (individual cups)
granola bars
fruit trays
orange juice (water and coffee will be provided by the venue)

I am not sure how much of each item to get. Can you help me? Thank you so much!

ellen
07/29/17
These days, I strongly suggest minimuffins instead of donuts; more popular, cheaper and healthier.

It also matters a lot if this is as they walk in the door, or the 10 AM break?

donuts
breakfast pastries
2 miinimuffns or donut holes per person, OK to quarter full size pastries and allow 1/2 (2 pieces) per person. Basically, 12 pounds provides one piece per person, and you need about 24 pounds for a regular breakfast.

bagels
cream cheese for bagels, 1/2 large or 1 small bagel per person, 1 ounce cream cheese per person

yogurt (individual cups), 2 dozen peeled hard boiled eggs and 100 low fat fruit yogurt cups

granola bars/breakfast bars, depends on age of crowd! Maybe 100.

fruit trays- 1 deluxe tray for 100 from the fruit tray page would be fine. See the fruit tray page for amounts and ideas.

orange , 4 ounces juice per person, but suggest you do 1/2 orange, 1/4 apple, 1/4 assorted grapefruit, tomato, and cranberry

If this s a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please support the site with a donation,

Catherine
09/03/17
Yogurt Parfait bar -feeding 150 people
I'm hosing a Yogurt Parfait Bar for Ladies
Cups are 12 oz
How much
Yogurt
Toppings:
Granola
Cashews - chopped
Raisins
Bananas
Strawberries
Blue Berries
Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Sauce
ellen
09/03/17
Plz tell me the event and what else is being served. It matters. Write back.
catherine
09/04/17
It 's a 7:00 PM speaker for Mom's in their 30's and then yogurt bar -That is all the food also serving coffee and water.
I'm planning on getting Only one kind of Yogurt - should it be:
Plain
Low Fat Plain
Vanilla flavored
Greek
And is there a must have topping that I'm missing?
And if so how much should I get of it?
Thanks SO Much for your help!!!
ellen
09/07/17
Hi, Catherine,
This is a dessert type function, so would you consider a frozen vanilla yogurt? It would be much more popular. In that case, you could use the sundae bar for guide amounts, and just use the nut measurements for the granola.

If you go for fresh, please have several flavors. Honey and/or vanilla; strawberry. Low fat is probably best choice. Get a dozen non-dairy (almond, coconut or soy milk) cups. If you do plain, you will have to deal wth sweeteners, and most people will skip it.

Serving how? 5 gallons if mixed fresh flavors, 1/2 cup scoops.

Whether you go frozen or fresh, I strongly recommend cookies; 2 or 3 per person. Little crisp cookies like ginger snaps, lemon thins, vanilla wafers, animal crackers are fine.

You can write back

Betty
08/20/18
Feeding 150 people breakfast tacos - Please help!
How many eggs, sausage, bacon, cheese, and potatoes would I need to purchase to feed 150 people breakfast tacos?

Not everyone will have meats in their tacos. Some will have just eggs and some potato and eggs, most are some meat and eggs, cheese, ect..
Thank you!

ellen
08/23/18
Betty, can you tell me age group and event? It really affects breakfast amounts.

Also, would you consider breakfast burritos? Made ahead, can even be frozen, and MUCH easier and faster to serve.

Cindy McKay
08/29/18
feeding 200 people
Doing a Halloween fundraiser and expecting 200 people. We are having heavy appetizers starting at 5 p.m. Will have foods that are more filling like mummified logs which will be chicken salad baked in dough; beef stew; sloppy joes wrapped in dough (intestines); heart shaped meatballs; hot dogs and beans; and tortellini with tomatoes with italian dressing. Plus taco dip (meatless); mozzeralla sticks; ham, cream cheese, and black olive wraps; and smokies in mustard sauce.

Question how much beef stew, chicken salad (and do you have a receipe), and taco dip (on trays) and do you have a receipe?

ellen
08/30/18
Cindy the inconvenient thing about this time slot is, people will arrive hungry and eat their dinner from you table; so you have to have more food than a later appetizer party. At least 1 pound to about 1 1/2 pounds per person So since it is a fund-raiser I am going to make some suggestions about the menu.

Meats are costly and you have a lot of meats. You have no fillers, carbs, fruits, etc. this will drastically increase your costs and lower your profits.

Also, no sweets mentioned? A major desire for Halloween!

chicken salad baked in dough; consider graveyard chicken enchilada dip instead
www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/halloween/g314/halloween-party-treats/?slide=23
The chicken salad is a constant food safety hazard

beef stew; skip entirely- costly and not seen as a a party food.

sloppy joes wrapped in dough (intestines); look at this recipe instead, you can use hamburger instead of chorizo for milder flavor. This would serve 12-16 in your setting:
www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chorizo-onion-stuffed-intestines

heart shaped meatballs; Good. Consider Other ground meats such as chicken or turkey- not pork. Small, toothpick size, and allow 2 per person; or go with traditional sausage balls with a stuffed olive pressed in and call them "Monster eyes"

hot dogs and beans; skip beans. Could cut hot dogs in half, wrap in crisscross strips of frozen filo dough or puff pastry- a mummy style version of pigs in a blanket

tortellini with tomatoes with italian dressing. Go.od, Need 2-3 other carb salad dishes for fillers
Consider addiing roasted Halloween vegetables:
amandascookin.com/roasted-halloween-vegetables/

ADD: skeleton crudites see this article:
www.womansday.com/food-recipes/g2574/easy-halloween-appetizers/?slide=19
1 pound ready to eat veg per 8 people, 1 cup dip per pound
www.lizshealthytable.com/2014/10/29/halloween-vegetable-skeleton-with-dip/

taco dip (meatless); bread coffin- long loaf. cut out top fill with dip and garnish wih a plastic skeleton or bone that has been soaked for 10 minutes in a clorox solution and rinse and air dried
Add one or two more dips such as the butternut hummus, link below

mozzeralla sticks; skip. Make pumpkin shapes cheese balls with crackers, and/or candy corn cheese towers- links below

Shape bread dough into bone shapes (can use refrigerated dough), dust with Parm, serve wih marinara dipping/dripping sauce

ham, cream cheese, and black olive wraps; look at the deviled ham eyeball sandwiches below, very Halloween

smokies in mustard sauce. skip entirely, very expensive. If you must have smoked sausage buy 3 pound links and cut into pennies

Some ideas from around the internet
Label a pile of white doughnut holes (you can also use mexican wedding cookies- less expensive) as "spider eggs" with plastic spiders on top; a bowl of green puffed vegetable snacks as "monster boogers"; glasses of red punch as "vampire blood"; and hoisin-glazed chicken wings as "bat wings."

Ghost cookies, ghost somemores
www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a55544/ghost-smores-recipe/
Rice crispies bars white and chocolate cereals, can be shaped into witch hats, tombstones, ghosts etc
Pumpkin hand pies (like toaster strudels, but baked ahead, link below)
Pumpkin pie dip wih giinger snaps and anmal cookies
www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a44041/pumpkin-pie-dip-recipe/
cobweb brownies- regular (go nut free for allergies) with a white chocolate drizzle over. Cut small, 2-3 bite size, as people will want to try lots of different things
More candies:
www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/halloween/g1173/homemade-halloween-candy/?slide=1
Some knd of caramel corn- good recipe on this site, use stove top popped corn not microwave for very best taste
www.ellenskitchen.com/pantry/home/crakrjk.html

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/candy-corn-cheese-tower-3885545 - will serve thirty to 40 as an appetizer offering

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/deviled-ham-eyeball-sandwich-recipe-2125219

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/roasted-butternut-squash-hummus-with-spooky-baked-tortilla-chips-3893626

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/mummy-hand-pies-3687680

You have a lot of thinking to do about your plan. Glad you started now. You can write back then you have a menu and I will help with quantities.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)