Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Pickled Eggs
Laurie Chandler
12/15/11
Please help...I just made Pickled Eggs for the first time. I used a recipe from an English Pub...cider vinigar, peppercorns, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, all spice, and 2 chili peppers.

1. What color should I expect the eggs to be when they are ready to eat (2 weeks).
2. Does the lid need to be a sealed lid? It didnt say. It just said a tight fitting lid. When I tippe them upside down to mix up the liquid and spices, some dripped out. IS IT SEALED ENOUGH so they won't rot?

Thanks for any help...I'm dying to know. I don't want to get anyone sick...but I did spend a lot of time on these already.

Laurie

ellen
12/15/11
It is completely submerging the eggs that is important, not just the lid.

This recipe sounds like they will be sort of yellow/golden.

The USDA says for home-pickled eggs, store them refrigerated and use within 2 weeks once opened. Some recipes also suggest boiling the vinegar and spices together and cooling, before pouring onto the eggs.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design