Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Thanksgiving Dinner for 400
Lisa Frymyer
11/08/11
Hello,

I have prepared meals for up to 300 (pasta)

so I have elected to put together a Thanksgiving meal for 400 people to be served out of a gymnasium at our local Boys & Girls Clubs we have no kitchen available to us. We are relying on volunteers and board members to help cook the Turkeys and bring it to the gym by 5:30 on Nov. 22, Do you have any suggetions on how to accomplish this feat? Also I guesstimate that we will need about 60 10-12 lb turkeys to be cooked. What is your estimation and how do I serve it? Than you so much. Desperate in Tracy, Ca.

ellen
11/08/11
Hello, LIsa,

Could be a food safety disaster waiting to happen, or could be fine. You can rent combo (heat holding storage bins), chafing dishes and other heating options; look into it now.

You only have 4 hours off the heat to transport and serve the turkeys.

For 400 people, you only need 400 pounds whole turkey; 300 if many are children.

You need to specify that the meat is delivered sliced and ready to serve; it is unsafe to reheat whole turkeys.

There is a lot of useful info on this size undertaking, including safe reheating of turkey, in the holiday cooking section at the top of big pots. Read and then write back.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design