Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Pig Roast
Melody
08/17/11
I am helping to organize a Pig Roast / Horseshoe Tournament for 125 guests on September 24 in SE Michigan.
Apps at 4:00, Dinner at 5:00, Games at 7:00, Over at 11:00

Here is the tentative menu and amounts. I was thinking of adding a few extra sides if we needed more food?

Table Snacks
Nuts, Mints, Chex Mix (6 lbs ea)

Appetizers
Meatballs, Smoky Links (108 3-pc servings ea)
Caprese Skewers 150 to 200
Fruit Salad Pig (watermelon fruit salad)
Fuit Kabobs 100 ea virgin and spiked
3 quarts dip 1 qt ea of: cream cheese, caramel, chocolate (or peanut butter) dips

Salads & Sides I will be using disposable chafing dishes
Baked Beans 3 gallons will 2 full pans hold this amount?
Sweet Potato Casserole 48 servings (2 of the aluminum pans?)
Mac n Cheese 3 gallons - 4 of the pans
Cole Slaw 4 gallons how much shredded cabbage do I need?
Potato Salad 4 gallons - how many potatoes do I need?
Potato Chips 160 single-serving bags (more hygienic for a horseshoe tournament!)

Meats
1 pig + sauce (catered)
50 pcs jerk chicken (thighs) with 1 quart each BBQ, Jerk, and honey mustard sauce
Mostacioli 18 qt - roaster

Breads
12 doz. Slider rolls; 12 loaves Italian bread - make 1/2 into garlic bread, 2 (9x13) pans
Cornbread + 2 pounds of butter (most will make sandwiches, according to caterer)

Desserts
3 varieties of cookies, 3 varieties of brownies, 3 varieties of cupcakes 75 of each variety
400 Jello Shots

Beverages
Beer 2 kegs
Lemonade 9 gallons
Tea 6 gallons 4 gallons sweet, 2 non-sweetened
12 cases water, 10 cases soda
Regular coffee, 1 1/2 pounds
Hot water for decaffeinated, plus tea and hot chocolate mix

Any suggestions appreciated!

ellen
08/17/11
This post looks familiar, I am sorry I missed it before.

This is an ample menu with just a few changes you are guaranteed success.

Table Snacks
Nuts, Mints, Chex Mix (6 lbs ea)-Good

Appetizers
Meatballs, Smoky Links (108 3-pc servings ea)
Caprese Skewers 150 to 200
Fruit Salad Pig (watermelon fruit salad)
Fuit Kabobs 100 ea virgin and spiked
3 quarts dip 1 qt ea of: cream cheese, caramel, chocolate (or peanut butter) dips
- All good, and that is enough. If adding, add a strach/bread item

Salads & Sides I will be using disposable chafing dishes
The difficulty I have here is that like the non-disposables, these come in different sizes. So, I am going to give you total volumes needed and you can use the pan size chart in the ellenskitchen.com pantry to translate to your particular pans.

Baked Beans 3 gallons will 2 full pans hold this amount- amount OK- none left- most common full pan holds 7 quarts...
Sweet Potato Casserole 48 servings (2 of the aluminum pans?)- will run out, might do 72
Mac n Cheese 3 gallons - 4 of the pans- OK because of the mostaciolli
Cole Slaw 4 gallons how much shredded cabbage do I need? OK, about 26 pounds
Potato Salad 4 gallons - how many potatoes do I need?-OK, about 40 pounds
Potato Chips 160 single-serving bags (more hygienic for a horseshoe tournament!)-OK

Meats
This may be very short depending on the size of the pig
1 pig + sauce (catered)- usual to allow 1 to 1 1/4 pound whole pig per person- you may need additional shoulders or butts- even with sandwiches
50 pcs jerk chicken (thighs) with 1 quart each BBQ, Jerk, and honey mustard sauce- I would allow 1 piece per person, and double the sauce
Mostaccioli 18 qt - roaster- will only hold about 12-14 quarts, which is about 50-60 people's worth. I am assuming this is vegetarian/meatless to provide an entree choice for the non-meat eaters? If so, plenty.

Breads
12 doz. Slider rolls;
12 loaves Italian bread - make 1/2 into garlic bread, the garlic bread will run out I would do 12 garlic and 4-6 plain, bread is cheap.
2 (9x13) pans
Cornbread + 2 pounds of butter (most will make sandwiches, according to caterer)

Desserts
3 varieties of cookies, 3 varieties of brownies, 3 varieties of cupcakes 75 of each variety- people love cookies- OK

Beverages- Looks good
400 Jello Shots
Beer 2 kegs
Lemonade 9 gallons
Tea 6 gallons 4 gallons sweet, 2 non-sweetened
12 cases water, 10 cases soda
Regular coffee, 1 1/2 pounds
Hot water for decaffeinated, plus tea and hot chocolate mix

Melody
08/21/11
The hog will be about 150 lbs. The caterer did say he would add pork shoulders if the head count went up.

Thanks so much - you have a terrific website! Do you accept donations?

ellen
08/21/11
Yes, with gratitude, and you just hit the donate button right under the logo in the upper right hand corner. You are right in the ball park with that size pig.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design