Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Burrito Bar for 100-option of nacho or taco salad
Diane
07/27/11
Grad party based on 100 people. I plan to have pulled pork, shredded chicken and hamburger with all the sides such as guacamole,salsa, beans, chips, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, and then I was thinking fruit kabobs. I am trying to get an idea of quantities...my pork shoulder is 10 lbs, how many lbs chicken and hamburger. Help!
ellen
07/28/11
Your toppings are the same as a taco, bar, see that article.

You need 6-8 pounds dry rice and beans cooked up as the side dishes, this being a younger group, I would do 8.

Do fruit trays rather than kabobs; easier, keep better, and the leftovers are more usable. See the fruit tray page.

Now, for the meat, you want to end up with about 7 ounces cooked ready to (which is a little over 3/4 of a cup) for each person, a total of about 80 cups. If your pork is boneless, it will make about 16 cups. Chicken makes 2 cups per pound of boneless, skinless meat, or 1 cup per pound of pieces with bone. Hamburger cooks up to about 1 3/4 cup per pound.

So I would do 1/2 hamburger, or 20-25 pounds, about 15 pounds boneless chicken, and your pork. You might have leftovers, but you will not run out.

Diane
07/30/11
What is the correct and acceptable way to serve shredded chicken? Chicken breasts? Whole chickens shredded? Is it ok to have dark meat included?
ellen
07/30/11
Dark meat is moister and chicken-y-er, holds better; around here skinless boneless thighs are regularly used for fajitas and tacos.

You might use a green enchilada sauce or tomatillo chili sauce as the chicken sauce, tastes great and makes a nice color contrast to the beef.

Serve with a medium size, not large, serving spoon for each meat.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design