Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Italian food for 60
Kim
05/23/11
I have been asked to prepare the food for a friends wedding reception. She want a variety so her menu is spaghetti and meatballs, chicken marsala, shrimp and linguine and either baked rigatoni or sausage with peppers. I dont know where to begin to figure how how much we will need.
ellen
05/23/11
Hi, Kim,

I detect an Italian theme.

Your friend wants too many entrees for 50 people. I would revise the menu this way:

Appetizer table
(needed for the hour between the service and dinner, especially if there are children in the party)
shrimp cocktail, scampi on a toothpick or other cold shrimp; 1 pound per 5 people
Meatballs with tiny rolls- 1 pound per 5 (sort of a tiny meatball hoagie)
Fruit tray- 1/2 deluxe tropical fruit tray, see fruit tray page

Buffet
Chicken marsala- 1 piece per person plus 10 percent
Sausage and peppers- 1 pound sausage per 4 plus equal weigh veggies
One pasta- 5-6 pounds dry
One veggie (broccoli? eggplant? mixed roasted?)- about 12 pounds ready to eat
One salad or marinated veggie, or pasta salad with antipasto twist)- about 2 gallons
nice bread on tables with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping

coffee- dinner coffe
beverages per beverage planning page
desserts

Kim
05/24/11
I my haste, I neglected to give you the full menu but we are pretty much on the same page. You and I both realize the bride wants too many entrees but she is still insisting with 4. So, with that in mind, do the quantities of the 3 entrees remain the same and how much spaghetti and meatballs would you suggest? Also she would like enough leftovers to have a small family dinner the next day.
I would like to thank you for your help. You are a lifesaver!!
ellen
05/24/11
I would do about 40 pieces of chicken, morph the other meats into the required dishes using the same amounts. You want no more than 10 pounds total dry pastas.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design