Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
August reception for 250
Sharon
03/31/11
My event is a wedding reception in August in SC so it will be very hot, and I want to do easy and cool make ahead finger food for a SELF SERVE buffet for approx 250 people. Because of the heat, the wedding will be at 5:30 pm. I have some ideas but want to make certain I have enough for a supper time event without having way too much leftover. We are aiming to make an elegant, yet simple and cool celebration.

My basic plan is a sandwich table of assorted rolls w/thin sliced ham, turkey and beef, mayo, mustard, horseradish. 600 rolls. How many lbs of sliced meats do you think I should purchase?

another table with meatballs, little smokies, quiches, finger sandwiches. at least 400 of each?

another with vegetables, dips, crackers & cheeses. How many lbs veggies do you think? and how much dip?

another table with fruits, dips, brownies, cream puffs. at least 400 brownies & cream puffs, but how many lbs fruit and how much dip?

then the beverage table with lemonade, tea, water, and also a coffee pot.
ellen
03/31/11
OK. Sensible plan, but first you need some help with logistics for serving 250 people.

You need 2 or preferably 3 beverage stations all the same. People don't like to wait for beverages when it is hot. You need 2-3 appetizer serving areas, for the bites people will eat while the bridal couple gets pictures and you set out the main food. You need 5 serving lines, yes 5, especially with a slow self serve item like the sandwiches, and you could do this as 3 double-sided lines.

assorted rolls w/thin sliced ham, turkey and beef, mayo, mustard, horseradish. 600 rolls. How many lbs of sliced meats- Have some sliced breads in baskets as well, total bread/rolls 12-14 pounds per 100. See sandwich page for filling guidance. Add 1 1/2 to 2 ounces per person sliced cheeses on this table. Add lettuce, tomato, etc, see sandwich fixing amounts on the sandwich page. Add bowl of smooth peanut butter and/or egg salad for non-meat eaters.

another table with
meatballs, 1 pound per 5 people
little smokies, 1 pound per 5 people
quiches, 2 mini per person
finger sandwiches- skip. You already have sandwiches, these are fiddly, hard to store and have to be made day of

vegetables, dips, crackers & cheeses. How many lbs veggies do you think? and how much dip?
I would do 2 of my large relish trays for 60 and veggie tray for 100. Amount for both, with dip, on the veggie tray page.
If you put cheese on the sandwich table as I suggested, you need just 1 1/2 ounce cheese and 1 1/2 ounces crackers per person here (that' about 10 pounds each per 100)

fruits, dips, I would put these on the sadnwich tables. 2 of the deluxe tray for 100

brownies, cream puffs, if this is in addition to cake, 2 small of each per person

beverage tables with lemonade, tea, water, and also a coffee pot. Per 100, use dinner coffee setup on beverage page. 4 gallons each lemonade and tea; some should be sugar free. Add water, such as chilled bottled water. See ice recommendations for summer.

ellen
03/31/11
That is, only ONE veggie tray for 100.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design