Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
self-catering wedding..right amounts?
Angel
03/29/11
I am self-catering my wedding reception of approximately 100 people with help from friends and family before the wedding. I will hire helpers the day of the wedding to reheat/serve food, buffet style. I am wondering if I have the right amounts at all. Thanks!!

For appetizers I have the following planned:

Deviled Eggs (216 pieces)

Pizza Pinwheels (250 pieces)

Fruit Trays: (2 pineapples, 4 cantaloupes, 3 watermelons, 3 lbs of grapes & strawberries, 2 lbs kiwi)

Veggie Trays: (3 small bags carrots, 4 broccoli, 5 celery, 3 containers of cherry tomatoes)

Cheese Tray: (2.5 lbs of Colby, Cheddar & Swiss, and 1 lb of Bleu Cheese (Fiance loves it) & 6 boxes crackers

Sausage Balls: 250 pieces

Sugar Glazed Pecans, Mints (3 lb) & Nuts (3 lb) set out on talbes

Ham & Turkey as entrees: 50 lbs ham raw & 40 lbs Turkey raw

Gravy: 2 1/2 gallons

Mashed Potatoes: 35 lbs potatoes

Macaroni & Cheese: 10 lbs dry pasta

Green Beans: 20 lbs

Pasta Salad: 7 lbs

Salad: 20 heads lettuce, 96 oz dressing, 5 lb shredded cheese, 4 lbs croutons

Rolls: 9 dozen rolls

Beverages being soda, water, beer, and coffee:
no idea on amount of coffee
5 cases of water
15 cases soda
1 keg with a couple cases of other beer

Thanks again for the help, I love this site, as does everyone else here!

Amy
03/29/11
love the site
Angel
03/29/11
Sorry I forgot...could you also tell me how many chafing dishes I'd need? I plan on having tables set up to have double lines to make it easier...so do I need just 2 per entree and hot side? thanks!
ellen
03/29/11
You are doing great. Here are my suggestions:

I would do 2 2 sides lines for the 100 people for very fast service.

Deviled Eggs (216 pieces)-OK

Pizza Pinwheels (250 pieces)-OK

Fruit Trays: (2 pineapples, 4 cantaloupes, 3 watermelons, 3 lbs of grapes & strawberries, 2 lbs kiwi)- probably light. See the deluxe fruit tray for 100 on the fruit tray page and do at least 3/4 this amount

Veggie Trays: (3 small bags carrots, 4 broccoli, 5 celery, 3 containers of cherry tomatoes)- OK Need dip, 3 quarts

Cheese Tray: (2.5 lbs of Colby, Cheddar & Swiss, and 1 lb of Bleu Cheese (Fiance loves it) & 6 boxes crackers- OK, probably run out of blue. A cheese ball of cream cheese and blue would stretch it, make ahead so flavors blend

Sausage Balls: 250 pieces

Sugar Glazed Pecans, Mints (3 lb) & Nuts (3 lb) set out on tables. 6 pounds pecans, people love them

Ham & Turkey as entrees: 50 lbs ham raw & 40 lbs Turkey raw 35-40 pounds ham would e plenty, unless you want left overs

Gravy: 2 1/2 gallons- OK Possibly a raisin or pineapple sauce for the ham?

Mashed Potatoes: 35 lbs potatoes-OK- with the mac and cheese, 30 might do it

Macaroni & Cheese: 10 lbs dry pasta- probably too much, with the pasta salad, I would do no more than 8

Green Beans: 20 lbs 22-24 pounds

Pasta Salad: 7 lbs- OK

Salad: 20 heads lettuce, 96 oz dressing, 5 lb shredded cheese, 4 lbs croutons- OK

Rolls: 9 dozen rolls- Get really good rolls, allow 1 1/2 to 2 per person, depending on size, 3 pounds butter

Beverages being soda, water, beer, and coffee:
no idea on amount of coffee- use the dinner coffee amounts on the beverage planning page
5 cases of water
15 cases soda- might be too much see beverage planning page
1 keg with a couple cases of other beer-OK

2 chafers for the appetizer table
5 for each serving line- plus gravy hot pot and one more if you are serving the rolls hot

Have a great day.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design