Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
church banquet for 200
Katey
03/08/11
I am hosting a mother daughter banquet for @200 at my church. The menu is: Beef tips over rice or chicken and dressing with corn, green beans, steamed carrots, peas, mashed potatoes, macaroni n cheese, 'california' vegetable medley and rolls. It will be buffet style. All women and children. Can you please help me with amounts?
ellen
03/08/11
This is a toughie because of the beef chicken and all women. Usually, you want to plan 5 ounces ready to eat beef (for beef tips, that is 2 pounds raw per 7 people, PLUS 1 piece of chicken per person (8-9 pieces per chicken.) You want 1/4 cup chicken gravy per person.

With four veggies, 18-20 pounds of each.

With potatoes, stuffing, macaroni AND rice, yikes. For a women and kids meal, that is a lot of starches.
I would skip the potatoes entirely.
Try 12 pounds dry rice, 12 pounds dry pasta, and 3 1/2 gallons stuffing.

I would add fruit trays instead of salad.

Katey
03/09/11
Thanks for the help, and I think I will skip the potatoes. I guess I had forgotten to consider that both of my entres include a starch. (beef tips n gravy over rice and chicken n dressing w/gravy) The green beans were actually going to be canned, like the 100 oz cans from SamsClub. How many of those would you recommend? And it's actually 5 veggies with the vegetable medley. But actually the medley has carrots in it so I may omit that and go with just steamed broccoli in its place.
Katey
03/09/11
Oh... and do you have a 'simple' dressing recipe? I don't want to use the packaged dressing. It's not as good as homemade and definitely not cost effective!
ellen
03/09/11
The Southern dressing recipe in big pots is very very tasty.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design