Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Outdoor Pig Roast
Can't say NO
01/09/11
I am planning an outdoor pig roast for my husband's snowmobile club. It is a family event with majority of the adults being men and a dozen or so of attendees being children. There will be approx 100 attending this outdoor buffet.

We plan to roast a 100-110# pig served as pork sandwiches with hamburgers and hotdogs for those who do wish to partake of the pork.

In addition I plan to have
4 gal baked ziti
4 gal baked macaroni & cheese
3 gallons baked beans
3 gallons coleslaw

Will this be enough food? Also, looking for a low cost easy to make suggestion for a dessert.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I've done large parties before but never on someone else's dime where I don't want too much food left over.

ellen
01/09/11
Pretty good numbers! I might do 4 gallons slaw. Breads/rolls about 12 pounds plus 3 pounds butter.

I would do several sheets of brownies and bar cookies (one of each flavor per person, cut fairly small) ahead and freeze.

Shelly
01/09/11
Planning a pig roast for sons graduation/going away party. Is this what you would also suggest that I do for his party. We plan on having a cake, but should I also have other desserts. I have a budget that can be gone over but want this to be a nice party for him. Any suggestion would be helpful, looking at prices right now.
Shelly
01/09/11
Oops,sorry Ellen. I can tell you that most of the people that will be here for this are between the ages of 7-80 and 25% teenagers. Here is what we would like to do,let me know if this sounds good.
125 lbs pig for roasting
300 meat balls in sauce
3 1/2 gal of my pasta salad (contains ham and pepperoni)
2 gal macaroni salad
2 gal potato salad
15# of rolls
Cake

What other items would you use (around here no one eats coleslaw).
Thanks so glad that I found this site.

ellen
01/10/11
Shelley, how many guests?
Shelly
01/10/11
around 100-135
ellen
01/11/11
You need slaw, marinated bean salad or some kind of vegetably thing with this- 4 gallons. And I would do at least 3 1/2 gallons of potato salad. I would also add fruit trays (see the fruit tray page) and good rolls- about 12 pounds per 100.

Extra desserts are never amiss, and with this, I would do small cookies or bars/brownies; 2-4 different flavors, I of each flavor per person. Mkae ahead and freeze.

Shelly
05/02/11
My question is I have about 150 people coming for the party and in-laws state that I need to make potato salad, in raw potatoes how many pounds of potatoes do I need??
ellen
05/02/11
With the other 2 starches, about 35 pounds of potatoes for salad is plenty. Lots of recipes on this site.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design